• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Mekong interview via Skype

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You got to ask why is ASA investing on this venture? PROFITS due to HIGH YIELDS, that is why. Same reason as to why you got carriers paying 10 to 12K to fly a CRJ out here, because they can afford to do it since their profit margin is high. YOU are selling yourself short and if they didn't get anybody accepting this pathetic T&C's, they would have increased them to a competitive level.
100% agree!

All of you are missing the point here, this is not about getting sick because in the three years that I have been flying in S.E. Asia I haven't gotten sick once, it is quite the contrary you will enjoy a great culinary experience out here since you are not going to eat at an eatery with dirt floors out in a slum you won't be fed dog inadvertently any more than you will be fed rattle snake in the corner of "shallow gene pool street" with "Boy you got a pretty mouth" avenue because you are not going to go eat there, Right?

You got to ask why is ASA investing on this venture? PROFITS due to HIGH YIELDS, that is why. Same reason as to why you got carriers paying 10 to 12K to fly a CRJ out here, because they can afford to do it since their profit margin is high. YOU are selling yourself short and if they didn't get anybody accepting this pathetic T&C's, they would have increased them to a competitive level.

The fact remains that this is a free market, and the salaries will be what the market can bear. In Capitalism, salaries are not based on what the company profits. Salaries are based on what they can get the people doing the work to accept as payment. The company's job is to make as much profit as possible. The employees job is to determine what a good wage is, and negotiate to get that. If you don't like the pay, don't take the job.

Like it or not, the reason this contract doesn't pay as much as other contracts is that the people going are not resigning from ASA. It wasn't offered on the open market, and those going get to come back after a year to their old jobs, still accruing seniority. So, in some ways it pays well, in that you can go make more than you would make in the US for a year, then come back to your old job. It is a de facto part of the compensation package.

You guys aren't comparing apples to apples.

I am open-minded about this decision. I have a couple of suggestions for you guys.
1. The above person obviously didn't even half of the contract or they would have seen that we get a housing allowance that can be pooled with other pilots'. Get informed about a topic before you comment on it.
2. You guys are reacting emotionally and sarcastically. I would suggest logical arguments.
It makes it really easy to discount your opinions when you make posts like this. I am happy to consider logical, informed arguments.

No you obviously missed the point of what I was trying to explain to you. Your "housing allowance", if you can really call it that, is so much less than other contractors, that your only option will be to share a crash pad. Other expats on real contracts don't have that problem because we are paid what we are worth.

The fact remains that this is a free market, and the salaries will be what the market can bear. In Capitalism, salaries are not based on what the company profits.

The irony here being that you are going to work in a communist country.

Salaries are based on what they can get the people doing the work to accept as payment. The company's job is to make as much profit as possible. The employees job is to determine what a good wage is, and negotiate to get that. If you don't like the pay, don't take the job.

So then I assume you are not a union member. Because by your above statement, you would have no problem with me coming to work at ASA for free. After all, I have been working on a real contract and don't really need the paycheck anymore. I might even be willing to pay them to take your job back in the US. But since the company can get me for free, that makes it ok.

Like it or not, the reason this contract doesn't pay as much as other contracts is that the people going are not resigning from ASA. It wasn't offered on the open market, and those going get to come back after a year to their old jobs, still accruing seniority.

No, the reason this "contract" pays so little is because you guys are foaming at the mouth to jump on it. If you would have all stood together and said that it was too low and needed to be higher, you might have gotten more.

So, in some ways it pays well, in that you can go make more than you would make in the US for a year, then come back to your old job. It is a de facto part of the compensation package.

Don't kid yourself. You are being paid a crap wage anyway you look at it.

You guys aren't comparing apples to apples.

Really? So you are flying in Vietnam right? You are an expat there, right? On a contract? How do you explain the fact that you are flying a bigger airplane (CRJ900) on the same routes as guys at VN on the ATR and making about 30% less???

Your right....you don't deserve to be compared to them.

All of you are missing the point here, this is not about getting sick because in the three years that I have been flying in S.E. Asia I haven't gotten sick once

Consider yourself lucky my amigo. I have have been sick 3 of the last 5 times I have been home cause of bad food. With the wages they are being paid, they are going to have to eat like locals. Enjoy the bugs and grubs guys.

The irony here being that you are going to work in a communist country.

Let me be clear. I ain't going.

So then I assume you are not a union member. Because by your above statement, you would have no problem with me coming to work at ASA for free. After all, I have been working on a real contract and don't really need the paycheck anymore. I might even be willing to pay them to take your job back in the US. But since the company can get me for free, that makes it ok.

Actually, I not a fan of unions in general, but because ASA is an agency shop, I'm a member of one. I don't give a crap what you make if you work for a company. When you work at any normal job in America, you may make less than your neighbor in the cube farm, or more, depending on your skill set and negotiating skills, etc. I only care what I make, and if the company doesn't offer me what I think I deserve, I don't take the job. Welcome to capitalism.

No, the reason this "contract" pays so little is because you guys are foaming at the mouth to jump on it. If you would have all stood together and said that it was too low and needed to be higher, you might have gotten more.

Again. I'm not going. But since you brought it up... Why do you hate the free market so much? What you are advocating is tantamount to price fixing, except on the side of labor. If the market supports their offer, then it is a fair offer.

Don't kid yourself. You are being paid a crap wage anyway you look at it.

Covered this.

Really? So you are flying in Vietnam right? You are an expat there, right? On a contract? How do you explain the fact that you are flying a bigger airplane (CRJ900) on the same routes as guys at VN on the ATR and making about 30% less???

Covered this, but because you didn't comprehend it, I'll repeat it. All of that is irrelevant because 1., they didn't offer it to the public, and 2. anyone who goes gets to keep their job. That is part of the compensation that you aren't considering. It is a very very valuable commodity, the ability to keep a senior position at a reputable regional. Certainly no one would leave if they had to resign, and that's the point.

Your right....you don't deserve to be compared to them.

I know I'm right. Thanks!

What you are advocating is tantamount to price fixing, except on the side of labor. If the market supports their offer, then it is a fair offer.

So if you lost your job at ASA because some 300 wonder would do it for free, you wouldn't complain about it? That would be a fair offer. If the market will bear it, it's OK right?

We are gonna have to agree to disagree on this one.

So if you lost your job at ASA because some 300 wonder would do it for free, you wouldn't complain about it? That would be a fair offer. If the market will bear it, it's OK right?

Point awarded to COOPERVANE

Yep, we will have to agree to disagree.

I wouldn't accept a job for free, and I wouldn't have gotten into the career for free. If the jobs start paying nothing, I'll get out, as would most everyone else.

Point is, that won't happen because the market can't bear it, even with 300 hour wonders. Obviously, if the airlines could staff without paying, they would have done it already.

Latest resources

Back