• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Mekong interview via Skype

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Something to really think about for those considering taking the offer. Don't screw up the contract flying like we've screwed up the flying here in the states.

Seems like part of the reason they can get away with paying less than regular contract work is it sounds like the pilots would have their old spot at ASA when they come back. If that's not the case, then it's a raw deal. Otherwise, it's like paying to take away a significant part of the risk.

I've said it on the other boards, along with a few other experienced ex-pats. This is a SUB-PAR contract. Working overseas is not a joyride and anyone who jumps at this is no better than the GoJet pilots you all like to crap on so much. Food for thought.

Thanks to SkyWest/ASA, the last frontier for decent pay is about to take a major blow to the nuts. Don't expect ex-pats to be your comrades. You will get zero respect.

Things to remember: NO ALPA, NO FAA, very little standardization, maintenance "fun with facts and figures" (doesn't matter that ASA mechs there. the bill is paid by MeJet-at least until they run out of cash), constant undermining by locals (yes the local pilots hate you), culture shock, political instability and a ton of other negatives.

But hey, you can get an interview on Skype. Wow, they're not even willing to invest in a land line phone call.

As I said on another board: All aviation contractors are pimps, but some treat their prostitutes better than others. SkyWest/ASA will be making a huge amount of money off of your back. They will be taking a huge haircut from all. GUARANTEED.

If anyone is considering this contract as a cool vacation getaway, think again. You will not have enough time off to do anything other than work and recover. People that complain about ASA work rules are NOT cut out for contract flying. 6 on/1 off is what to expect. Fatigued? Deal with it. Anything other than cooperation is heavily frowned upon.

Getting involved with MeJet? You get what you deserve. SkyWest/ASA is selling you out and doing major damage to one of the last lucrative areas of flying. Thanks for taking the US regional business model and exporting it.

I've said it on the other boards, along with a few other experienced ex-pats. This is a SUB-PAR contract. Working overseas is not a joyride and anyone who jumps at this is no better than the GoJet pilots you all like to crap on so much. Food for thought.

Thanks to SkyWest/ASA, the last frontier for decent pay is about to take a major blow to the nuts. Don't expect ex-pats to be your comrades. You will get zero respect.

Things to remember: NO ALPA, NO FAA, very little standardization, maintenance "fun with facts and figures" (doesn't matter that ASA mechs there. the bill is paid by MeJet-at least until they run out of cash), constant undermining by locals (yes the local pilots hate you), culture shock, political instability and a ton of other negatives.

But hey, you can get an interview on Skype. Wow, they're not even willing to invest in a land line phone call.

As I said on another board: All aviation contractors are pimps, but some treat their prostitutes better than others. SkyWest/ASA will be making a huge amount of money off of your back. They will be taking a huge haircut from all. GUARANTEED.

If anyone is considering this contract as a cool vacation getaway, think again. You will not have enough time off to do anything other than work and recover. People that complain about ASA work rules are NOT cut out for contract flying. 6 on/1 off is what to expect. Fatigued? Deal with it. Anything other than cooperation is heavily frowned upon.

Getting involved with MeJet? You get what you deserve. SkyWest/ASA is selling you out and doing major damage to one of the last lucrative areas of flying. Thanks for taking the US regional business model and exporting it.

It never ceases to amaze me how people don't mind showing how little they know on a public forum...

It never ceases to amaze me how people don't mind showing how little they know on a public forum...

Yes, thank you for pointing out how ignorant I am about overseas contracts. I'm sure the all the ones that you've done have really enlightened you.

You sir, manage to be condescending while displaying naivete.

Congratulations?

Yes, thank you for pointing out how ignorant I am about overseas contracts. I'm sure the all the ones that you've done have really enlightened you.

You sir, manage to be condescending while displaying naivete.

Congratulations?

You may know about overseas contracts, but you obviously know nothing about the Air Mekong deal, other than what is written on this site, most of which is incorrect.

BTW, I'm glad you could pick up on the condescension. I wasn't trying to be subtle.

Last edited:
So, let me get this straight. Mekong is Vietnamese for "Mesa?" Really? Oh SNAP!!!!!!

Bye Bye--General Lee

You may know about overseas contracts, but you obviously know nothing about the Air Mekong deal, other than what is written on this site, most of which is incorrect.

BTW, I'm glad you could pick up on the condescension. I wasn't trying to be subtle.

I have seen the pay package and I don't need to know any more. You are flying a CRJ 900 for less that what the ATR guys make at Vietnam. On top of that you have basically no real benefits. What else is there to know? Please enlighten us.

Have you ever worked outside of the US or on a contract? Bob's statements are pretty accurate. Being that locals are in charge, if you go there expecting it to be just like ASA or any other airline you are in for a rude awakening.

Most expats are not going to sugar coat it. You are doing significant damage to the contract world. You can try to fool yourself into thinking otherwise but it won't change the facts. You are flying a bigger airplane for less pay that contractors in Vietnam. PERIOD

That's sick. What does it taste like?

Food from a chinese buffet. So much sauce and MSG that you don't know you are really eating sh*t.

As d328pilot said: "I have seen the pay package and I don't need to know any more. You are flying a CRJ 900 for less that what the ATR guys make at Vietnam."

We've already driven down the wages in the US...let's not do it overseas.

Oooh. Double zing on me.

Good for you, little Napoleon. Good for you!

I hope you take the MeJet(tm) contract with it's "class leading T&C's". Six months from now, you'll be finishing up leg 7 only to get a call that you're being "asked" to "cooperate" and operate 6 legs the following day (day 7) after 7.5 hours of "rest" from engines off to engines on. Who are you going to call? Hint: It won't be ALPA or the FAA. Then, you'll finally have enough wisdom to reflect upon this little thread on FI and say to yourself, "damn".

Oh yeah, keep up the condescending attitude and make sure to throw in a lot of passive-aggressive sarcasm. It will serve you very well overseas.

It's funny that you resort to attacking me for offering up a glimpse of the glamorous contract world. You're welcome for giving you information that most ex-pats won't. People trying to polish a turd and convince you that you're going on vacation certainly won't.

Enjoy the harsh lessons that lie ahead, Mr. I'm so awesome because I'm an RJ aviator. (cue the Bud Light "Real Men of Genius" music)

Latest resources

Back