Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Raskal

big member, little pay
Sorry if I'm a bit of a newbie, but just a couple of questions regarding the above:

1. Has anyone recently been to one of these Darby job fair things? If so, how do they work? I noticed that the Saturday thing is scheduled from 0800-2000, with the meet/greet from 1600-2000. Are all the seminars before the job fair worth the time?

2. Anyone that's met a recruiter this way, what kind of questions can I expect? I'm assuming this isn't a full interview, but should I be looking over anything?

3. Just a general question for training at airlines. What the hell do you guys do for four months? I can't see a type taking that long, especially not on a 717 or 737...Is it seven days, 8 hours a day like the schools I got to now or do you get weekends off so you can go home?

Thanks in advance for tolerating a corporate guy wandering into new territory

Raskal said:
Sorry if I'm a bit of a newbie, but just a couple of questions regarding the above:

3. Just a general question for training at airlines. What the hell do you guys do for four months? I can't see a type taking that long, especially not on a 717 or 737...Is it seven days, 8 hours a day like the schools I got to now or do you get weekends off so you can go home?

A lot of the newhires at Airtran need extra training to get through. Hence, the extra time in the simulator. If I am not mistaken I believe Airtran gives them 20 rides in the sim before the check. I could be wrong though.

400A: Nope, you're right on the money! Additionally the training week is 12 hours a day, 7 days a week. To top it all off we had to buy our own systems coloring books.

Raskal: The training footprint is realistic when you consider company indoc, computer based training, part task trainers, progress checks, simulator rides, FAA oral, and simulator checkride. You're plenty busy, but not so busy that you can't play some golf or go home on the weekends if you're ahead.

Raskal, I do not know exactly what Air Tran training is like, but there is normally two weeks of Basic Indoc for 121 Air Carriers you go over Ops Specs, Dispatch rules etc., a couple weeks of systems, a week of CPT, then 7-10 days of sim. On a much simplier airplane, our DA-20 pilots are not normally released for line operations until about 10 weeks after their date of hire.

400ADude said:
Raskal said:

A lot of the newhires at Airtran need extra training to get through. Hence, the extra time in the simulator. If I am not mistaken I believe Airtran gives them 20 rides in the sim before the check. I could be wrong though.

unfortunately 400dude needed 21. sorry, back to traffic watch dude.

Well, I have to admit that one was bugging me. I appreciate the responses though, especially now that I understand the "reason" for the 12hours/day 7/week :laugh: I guess when you add it up it does make sense, especially if it's not continuous.

Thanks again for the replies...

No one's got any info on the Air, Inc thing huh?

At one time I was Captain JetJobs for Kit at FAPA. I was one of his first employees at AIR, Inc. and it is worth the cost and time if you are new to the airline business to attend his seminar. Pay attention to the presentations in the seminar, it will prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot. Go to the job fair after the seminars end. The recruiters just want a first impression of the wannabies. How you present yourself is very important. Why do you want to be at AirTran, etc. Be yourself and be sincere. Not like some of the idiots on this board who have nothing good to say and want to be sarcastic. Take a bunch of resumes custome tailored to the carrriers you want to interview with, but be careful, don't give a UPS resume to AirTran, as an example, and expect AirTran to call you for an interview. Take general airline and other resumes with you for overall coverage.

Good luck. AirTran is a fairly good place to be. Lots of other places that really suck are out there.

Actually, 400A-hole is trying to take his mind of the fact that 3 400-A's have suffered a DUAL ENGINE FLAME-OUT in the past 3 years. Now, that would give me something to think about, too.

Latest resources

Back