• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air France A-340 down in YYZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Witnesses on the ground said they heard the sound of reversers. They also said the aircraft appeared to land at a normal distance down the runway. Take it for what it's worth.

Thrust reverse is probably hydraulically actuated, initiated through electrical switching. Ground spoilers operate the same. Braking would be available, although loss of anti-skid would increase stopping distance if the runway were slick. An airbus A320 went off the runway in Warsaw many years ago because the soft touchdown failed to initiate the air/ground logic preventing use of thrust reverse, spoilers, and braking. I doubt the same circumstances were present today, but the airbus, like all new aircraft are highly dependent on computers...

Last edited:
Oakum_Boy said:
An airbus A320 went off the runway in Warsaw many years ago because the soft touchdown failed to initiate the air/ground logic preventing use of thrust reverse, spoilers, and braking. I doubt the same circumstances were present today, but the airbus, like all new aircraft are highly dependent on computers...

So what you're saying is that the A320 in Warsaw departed the prepared surface due to the pilot's excellent touchdown? Does that sound fooked up to anyone else?

I have ZERO heavy time/experience, so disregard everything after "hello" if I'm talking with my nugget up my butt.

DAS at 10/250 said:
CNN reporting that all crew and pax OK. If true than this is wonderful information and a big kudos to the crew for getting everybody off.

You'd think that "getting everybody off" would be the type of service you'd like to see on ALL international flights. 10+ hours in an aircraft can get you awfully lonely and in need of some "stimulation."

haha :)

Flyin Tony said:
Would you guys have flown in this?

There must've been a window. Spec Metar is updated once every 5-10-15 mins, however your radar scope paints a pretty accurate picture at the very moment your're approaching the rwy.

Fury220 said:
So what you're saying is that the A320 in Warsaw departed the prepared surface due to the pilot's excellent touchdown? Does that sound fooked up to anyone else?

I have ZERO heavy time/experience, so disregard everything after "hello" if I'm talking with my nugget up my butt.

Strut compression would get you into the ground mode for reverse. In the Warsaw 320 incident the crew used a very fast approach speed for some reason. I cannot recall why.

On the 340 I'm told that engines 2 and 3 have to get into reverse before 1 and 4 will deploy. I've only flown the 340 simulator a little, I was curious as to how it felt compared to the 320 which I was flying. It felt heavier, no surprise.

~DC

Fury220 said:

Don't know about the Airbus, but what was described is normal on the Emb-145. On a smooth touchdown you can't get the TRs to open, and sometimes it triggers an air/ground fail message on the EICAS. But hey, it's the best third-world airplane there is!

Nice job to the crew!

Again, the media, when dealing with aviation related matters (including FOX) is a complete J O K E!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back