• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Air Force to UAL New Hire

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You misread my post (RJ's fly fast, meaning they fly at jet speeds like a T-38, not at Cessna 172 speeds). Turbine time prepares you for flying turbines. Structured training environments prepare you for structured training environments. You don't make it to the line unless you make it through training and that is where the advantage comes in for a mil trained pilot. Sorry you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Where are you getting this idea that civilian pilot training is not structured?

Most professional pilots went to professional pilot courses or universities - and an equal number of mil pilots got a private/ instrument at joe bob's flight school-

There was NOTHING unstructured about my training or 90% of those that I know

Again, this isn't 1990- things changed when the FAA saw that RJs were coming

Last edited:
Airline flying is more than handling the plane. Being in 121, especially regionals, bombards the crew with distractions that are operationally removed from mil flight crews. I've been doing a lot of OE with mil guys lately and they're stunned at how much the nonflying functions interfere with the flying. It takes a lot of experience to learn to compartmentalize the two without leaving anything out.

It's pax issues to Mx, to ops, to 117, to hotels and transportation to all the support required for the flight, which is never where and when it's supposed to be, to all the regulatory t's and i's, including determining deice and how and where each station does it, all within a 24 min turn. It's a totally different mindset and ops tempo.

Once the plane is in the air and we're cruising along, then it's break time.

This^^^
+1 well said

There was BOTHING unstructured about my training or 90% of those that I know
Yes anyone with $$ can get into those schools, yes and immediatley someone is going to chime in and go "My brother's girlfriend's, aunt knows a guy whose son could not get into a flying program"

Not so much the other path

Yep, anybody who can hang can stay on and become an airline pilot.

Why is that a bad thing, yip?

Instead of dequaling pilots for preemptive test scores, eyesight, and politics?
I know, why don't you lobby for that tom cruise movie to fight crime. Remember? Where they'd arrest people before they committed a crime.

because we all know how one does on a few tests before they've ever stepped into an aircraft is the best predictor of what kind of pilot they will be in the end- right?

For the record, more than half of my class at flight school did not finish for various reasons. Check rides are not nonevents in the civilian world.

Do you really think regionals and commuter operators think twice about pink slipping a pilot? Do you think any flight school does?
So many misconceptions

Last edited:
Thank you ^^^

Except that- when at the SWA fedex dal aa as ual's of the world - the main people captain's are babysitting are military pilots- bc they've never done this

And I'm sorry- That's why they end up sucking- they know it's not a carrier and it's not a fighter and don't respect the airplane or job and don't do what they got to do to be good and have wanker personalities to go along with it.

All of that is the definition of unqualified-

Training and IOE are non events for the civilians worth hiring. Which is most of them.

To your question AC, Why am I off my rocker to think that if you're getting one of the best jobs in the world, pilots should be fully qualified and ready and not learning "on the job"?

Again- mil guy who flies a 737 for the military- does not tend to be the problem Kernal

The problem Wave is your stupid lies about pilot selections being political rather than merit based. I'm still awaiting your lame explanation of how you came up with that one. Anytime now.

Where are you getting this idea that civilian pilot training is not structured?

Most professional pilots went to professional pilot courses or universities - and an equal number of mil pilots got a private/ instrument at joe bob's flight school-

There was NOTHING unstructured about my training or 90% of those that I know

Again, this isn't 1990- things changed when the FAA saw that RJs were coming

I keep telling you becuase I have done both. You haven't! Your 90% stat is wholly made up. Most people drive to their local airport, sit on the dirty couch, and hope their instructor shows up . Very few people can afford to go to Embry Riddle or UND or don't have the time since they have to work. Very few of us could come up with $60,000 when we were 20. Most civilian pilots learned and still learn the same way I did for my PPL and Instrument rating. Flying a few times a month at the local FBO. I had six different instructors and a Jeppesen Private Pilot kit I bought myself. What structure!

Airline flying is more than handling the plane. Being in 121, especially regionals, bombards the crew with distractions that are operationally removed from mil flight crews. I've been doing a lot of OE with mil guys lately and they're stunned at how much the nonflying functions interfere with the flying. It takes a lot of experience to learn to compartmentalize the two without leaving anything out.

It's pax issues to Mx, to ops, to 117, to hotels and transportation to all the support required for the flight, which is never where and when it's supposed to be, to all the regulatory t's and i's, including determining deice and how and where each station does it, all within a 24 min turn. It's a totally different mindset and ops tempo.

Once the plane is in the air and we're cruising along, then it's break time.

What does any of that have to do with predictors for success in training which is what we are talking about?

For the record, more than half of my class at flight school did not finish for various reasons.

The number one reason likely being they ran out of money.

What are you lamenting here, that you can't buy your way into a military flying position? Isn't that the very antithesis of the liberal mindset? Are you applauding a system where the wealthiest among us can get ahead more quickly by buying a job, yet those that served and received their training through merit are somehow lesser individuals? Your very dumb mindset is probably clouding your judgement. Yeah Wave you are so much better than me because you had a bigger checkbook or a better credit score.

because we all know how one does on a few tests before they've ever stepped into an aircraft is the best predictor of what kind of pilot they will be in the end- right?
Hap Arnold, said only college educated people could be successful in flight training. Robert Lovett, WWII Asst Sec of War for Air, Who may have saved the US in WWII. He showed we needed quantity, not quality.

We will need 100K pilots per year, we will not get that many physically qualified college educated pilots. He said the college was not needed to fly an airplane, so he devised a series of tests to identify those traits and knowledge levels needed to be successful in pilot training.

He found that many college educated people could not pass this test, but many high school graduates could. These 19 year old pilots proved their worth all over the globe, flying equipment under conditions that would test almost all of us on this board.

Tests similar to those are still in use today and they are very predicative on success in a military flight training program.

This^^^
+1 well said

This was not well said at all. You like it because you feel it supports your very narrow/skewed and inaccurate viewpoint.

"Airline flying is more than handling the plane. Being in 121, especially regionals, bombards the crew with distractions that are operationally removed from mil flight crews.

Absolute horsecrap. You think mil guys don't have major distractions? There are major distractions all the time. Malfunctions, wingman issues, weather at the target, command post, airspace and so on are the norm. Fighter guys, whom you seem to loathe, are hands-down the experts at handling distractions and maintaining an extremely high level of SA. That's why your boss wants them. I've been flying 9 years in the majors and almost 20 in the air force, both active duty and reserve so I can speak on this with credibility whereas you cannot. You do not fly with ex-mil FOs. The ex-mil captains you fly with are probably just fine. It's that HUGE chip on your shoulder that cause you to have an unrealistic expectation.

I've been doing a lot of OE with mil guys lately and they're stunned at how much the nonflying functions interfere with the flying. It takes a lot of experience to learn to compartmentalize the two without leaving anything out.

Stunned? Please. They may be "surprised" at how much distraction is out there. The perception, from the insane amount of distractions they handle, is that it's a lot easier on the civilian side. When they get there, they are surprised that is almost as bad. Mil guys have no problem with this. We learn over OE and usually within the first few hundred hours, the tempo is figured out to proficiency. It ain't that hard.

Uh, no it is not. These issues are exactly the same issues ALL military heavy guys deal with except multiply it by a factor of 2 or 3. We don't have a dispatcher. We have to get our own hotels and arrange transportation to them. We have to file vouchers for every expense afterwards. We have FAA, AF, command, wing, squadron and aircraft specific regulations to worry about also. Fighter guys have to do EVERYTHING themselves!

Once the plane is in the air and we're cruising along, then it's break time."

Really? And this guy does OE. It's pretty much game time for the military once we get in the air. There are bombs to be dropped, air refueling, NVG operations, low levels, airdrop and a combat operations. Basically, its busy as hell all the time. With all the distractions.

Your problem Wave, is just what Air Cobra said. You know only half of the equation and with major fault, assume you understand the other half. You don't know dicko about mil pilots but your boss sure does and so do the bosses at many other airlines. That is why Southwest recruiting was just at my base a couple of weeks ago. They want C-17 pilots. I've never heard of one being turned down. You let jealousy and envy cloud your judgement.

I understand and empathize with your view. Regional pilots are top notch for this job and their numbers should be higher. That being said, insulting military pilots, out of complete ignorance, is low rent. This airline job is not that hard if you stay focused and professional.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back