Air Force Academy Welfare Pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

Among the best things about being a pilot is to work with so many people who because of their passion for flying, busted their butt and paid some heavy dues to get the experience to be hired at a major. Working with guys and gals who flew sorties over Baghdad or instructed for 1500 hours and worked at a commuter to get the time needed to make it to a major is very impressive and it is cool to work with these professionals.

After being at a major for about two years, I have come across an interesting form of creature that I will call the “academy welfare pilot”. I just flew with a guy whose goal was to be an airline pilot so he went to the Air Force Academy. He actually admitted that the only reason he attended the academy was to have the U.S. taxpayer pay for his college degree and all his flight training. Since his goal was to be an airline pilot, he bid the KC 135 so he would not be in harms way and get flight time as soon as possible. He also admitted that he hated military life. With the early out option from the Air Force, he was out in five years with his entire college and flight training paid for by the US taxpayer and the experience to get hired at a major. To top it off, he then got 90% of his Type Rating paid for by the US taxpayer since he was a veteran. Seems to me that the taxpayer donated about about two million dollars to his endevor to become an airline pilot.

While you would think that this guy would be saying what a wonderful country America is, for the month I flew with this piece of work, he did nothing but complain about how the Company is not paying him enough even though we are the highest paid pilots in the industry, that working 2.5 days per week was too much, and when we got an unscheduled airplane swap before our last leg, you would have thought they just took his first born.

While I am incredibly grateful for those who serve in the military and those who go to the Academy in an honest desire to serve our County, those whose only goal is to have the government pay for their college degree and all their flight training with the intent to become an airline pilot is as far as I am concerned equivalent to a welfare hack sitting on the porch waiting for food stamps sucking off the Government nipple. It is amazing how many of these guys I have flown with and it is even more interesting that some of them have the arrogance to brag how smart they are.
icon30.gif

what do you expect from someone from the US govt. playschool in Colorado Springs, and someone from a place where the doolies are recognized in march. All the way to Herndon baby!
GO NAVY

. To top it off, he then got 90% of his Type Rating paid for by the US taxpayer since he was a veteran. Seems to me that the taxpayer donated about about two million dollars to his endevor to become an airline pilot.

Academy grads are not eligible to have GI Bill pay any portion of the type rating. If you want to stir the pot, at least get your facts correct.

Last edited:
. To top it off, he then got 90% of his Type Rating paid for by the US taxpayer since he was a veteran. Seems to me that the taxpayer donated about about two million dollars to his endevor to become an airline pilot.

Academy grads are not eligible to have GI Bill pay any portion of the type rating.

How would the DVA know he is eligible or not. Is there a designation on the DD214 or something?

Hats off to'em. He is a hero in my book. He also could have had the needs of service assign him a MH-60 flying around the sandbox at night at low level. He could have been killed while serving a combat zone. It is a risk everyone takes in the service. He is no more a welfare pilot than a ROTC or any service sponsored college program recipient. These are open to everyone. If it is such a good deal go down and join up.

While I am incredibly grateful for those who serve in the military and those who go to the Academy in an honest desire to serve our County, those whose only goal is to have the government pay for their college degree and all their flight training with the intent to become an airline pilot is as far as I am concerned equivalent to a welfare hack sitting on the porch waiting for food stamps sucking off the Government nipple. It is amazing how many of these guys I have flown with and it is even more interesting that some of them have the arrogance to brag how smart they are.
icon30.gif
Okay, I'll bite. Don't put us Academy graads all in the same shoebox. At 18 and not really sure what I wanted to do, my goals were probably similar to his. Qualify to get an appointment to the Academy, graduate, go to flight school, serve my 7 year commitment, and see where I am at. Everytime my commitment was up, I stayed and ended up making it a career. Did I ever see combat...nope. First Gulf War, teaching people to fly in Enid Oklahoma. Bosnia...Flying an EC-135 and doing the nuclear deterrence mission for Strategic Command. Kosovo, staff job at Langley Air Force Base for HQ Air Combat Command. Post 9-11, flying govt officials at Andrews. Now, swinging gear as a First Officer for AirTran and enjoying life.

I've flown with many guys that knew that they wanted to be an airline pilot before going to an academy. Good for them, at least they knew what they wanted and went for it. I would think that there were/are easier ways to get a college education and flight training without the four years of harrasment and the five year commitment to the military after.

What do you think about the guys that have mommy and daddy send them through one of the many puppy mills down in Florida to go from 0 hours to airline pilot for the low, low price of (insert current rate here).

Everyone pays their dues differently. Some more and longer than others. But to label a group Academy welfare pilots, boy I sure would hate to hear what you call guard babies.

The Army Air Force Academy is pretty much an embarrasment. All I ever hear about the place is stuff like this or sex scandals.

Latest resources

Back