Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
In the history of fixed-wing aviation, has there ever been any other means of banking the aircraft, other than ailerons? Any odd-ball setups out there, that do not use ailerons???

Yeah, MU-2s and Beechjets use "spoilerons". They are basically small spoilers that extend and retract on the top of the wing.

1903 Wright flyer used a system that warped the entire wing. I am not sure but I think the flying wings use a system that is mostly spoilers and no or tiny ailerons. Only ones I know of.

bluesky421 said:
Yeah, MU-2s and Beechjets use "spoilerons". They are basically small spoilers that extend and retract on the top of the wing.
The MU-2 and Beechjet do not have spoilerons - Lear 35s and Boeing 727s have spoilerons. They use straight, old-fashioned, honest to goodness spoilers and nothing but spoilers for roll control. They use small trim ailerons for roll trim.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
The MU-2 and Beechjet do not have spoilerons - Lear 35s and Boeing 727s have spoilerons. They use straight, old-fashioned, honest to goodness spoilers and nothing but spoilers for roll control. They use small trim ailerons for roll trim.

'Sled

Ah. Well then... I stand corrected.

There is also some experimentation on wing warping on the F18. Easy to bank the airplane at +1 Mach.

The A-5 Vigilante used 2 sets of spoilers, one facing forward on the bottom of the wing, and another facing the normal direction on top of the wing.

bluesky421 said:
Ah. Well then... I stand corrected.
Don't feel too bad, a lot of people are under that misconception. There are also a few light planes that use spoilerons - the Wren modified Cessna 182 has what are essentially spoilers on the top of the wing that work in conjunction with the stock ailerons. I believe that Helio Courier uses a similiar system as well.

Back to the original question...

In response to the United DC-10 accident in Sioux City, NASA has be experimenting with a computer program that allows for full aircraft control using differential power inputs.

'Sled

Latest resources

Back