• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AGI Endorsement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I stand corrected. Think I got it confused with some of the requirements for the Master CFI program...

Having the AGI or IGI certificate is also one of the requirements when it comes time to get your Gold Seal CFI certificate. (hopefully someday)

Ground instructor certificate requirements

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
So someone can just take the FOI & AGI written and receive the AGI ticket?
Not to be redundant, but, yes.

In my case, at my instructor's insistence, which turned out to be very wise, I took the BGI written not long after I took the Private written. It was the exact, same exam, but with more questions. Then, I squeaked by on the FOI written. I took both written test reports to FSDO, which had my complete an 8710, and I left with my BGI temporary.

I believe there is a provision in 14 CFR 61 that exempts certified teachers from the FOI requirement. Maybe that's where the confusion lies on the teaching experience issue.

If I take the test and get the AGI doesnt that mean I can also teach instruments students, so then I dont need to take the IGI do I?

Woah! That's what I used to think, but a post on another site woke me up to the new FAR on Ground Instructors.
61.215(b) now says an Advanced Ground Instructor can give the required ground training and endorsements for the knowkedge test for ANY CERTIFICATE OR RATING ISSUED UNDER THIS PART.

Hi...

Please provide a link to the aforementioned amendment. I have not seen or found an amendment to § 61.215(b). The section still indicates that an AGI can give, "a recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part." As an Instrument Rating is not a certificate, an AGI cannot give the recommendation for the knowledge test, however, they can provide the "ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part."

Regards

Ground instructor training v. ground instructor signoffs

highflying said:
If I take the test and get the AGI doesnt that mean I can also teach instruments students, so then I dont need to take the IGI do I?
You can hold anything you want to hold to teach instrument ground and sim. You have to hold the appropriate ground instructor ratings in order to sign off your students for writtens.

You have to read through 14 CFR 61.215 in its entirety to understand the privileges given under each ground instructor rating. In particular, 14 CFR 61.215(d) provides clarification:

Sec. 61.215 - Ground instructor privileges.

(a) A person who holds a basic ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:

(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of a recreational pilot certificate, private pilot certificate, or associated ratings under this part;

(2) Ground training required for a recreational pilot and private pilot flight review; and

(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of a recreational pilot certificate or private pilot certificate under this part.

(b) A person who holds an advanced ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:

(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of any certificate or rating under this part;

(2) Ground training required for any flight review; and

(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of any certificate under this part.

(c) A person who holds an instrument ground instructor rating is authorized to provide:

(1) Ground training in the aeronautical knowledge areas required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part;

(2) Ground training required for an instrument proficiency check; and

(3) A recommendation for a knowledge test required for the issuance of an instrument rating under this part.

(d) A person who holds a ground instructor certificate is authorized, within the limitations of the ratings on the ground instructor certificate, to endorse the logbook or other training record of a person to whom the holder has provided the training or recommendation specified in paragraphs (a) through (c) of this section.

(emphasis added)

So, perhaps any ground instructor can provide any kind of instruction. But it takes an appropriately-rated ground instructor to provide the signoff.

Hope that helps a little.

PS-If you hold a Basic Ground Instructor certificate and take and pass the Instrument Ground Instructor written, you will be issued a Ground Instructor certificate with Advanced and Instrument ratings upon presentation of your written test report and 8710 to the FAA. You will not have to take the AGI written.

Last edited:
Be sure to call FSDO and make an appoitment before you go... I found that out the hard way. That wasted a good 3 hours of my day...

Latest resources

Back