Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Booker

The Ladies Man
Maybe a silly question, but I'm wondering whether one needs an endorsement to take the AGI written. 61.213 doesn't mention one.

Thanks!
B

Booker,...

You sure don't need an endorsement for it unless you fail it then you need one to take it again. However, you do need to do the FOI before you can get the AGI certificate.
-Nick

Thanks. Now for a followup, Gleim says application for a ground instructor certificate must be made directly to the FSDO; DEs can't issue it. Is this correct?

Thanks again,
B

AGI issuance

That is correct. Complete an 8710 and take it with your airman written test reports to your local FSDO and you will be issued a ground instructor temporary.

Re: AGI issuance

bobbysamd said:
...take it with your airman written test reports...

But my CFI certificate should sub for my old FOI report, right? Just want to be sure I've got everything in order before I make the 70-mile trip to G-man land.

Thx,
B

AGI issuance

Booker said:
But my CFI certificate should sub for my old FOI report, right?
Absolutely. Your CFI is proof that you've taken the FOI. Just pull out your CFI when you turn in your written test report and 8710 and you'll have no problems.

RedheadCFI said:
Booker,...

You sure don't need an endorsement for it unless you fail it then you need one to take it again. However, you do need to do the FOI before you can get the AGI certificate.
-Nick
So someone can just take the FOI & AGI written and receive the AGI ticket?

TEXAN AVIATOR said:
So someone can just take the FOI & AGI written and receive the AGI ticket?
If they are not a CFI, then they need to have a certain amount of other teaching experience. I'm too lazy to walk 5 feet to pick up the Regs, but it's in part 61.

Negative. No teaching experience required. Adequate teaching experience will take the place of needing to take the Fundamentals of Instruction exam (FOI)...but if one takes the FOI, no teaching experience is required.

One need no flight experience, no aviation experience; nothing. One need only take the FOI, and either the AGI or IGI (AGI provides the same privileges as the BGI plus, and therefore there is little or no point in taking the BGI). The applicant is then granted the privilege to teach any aviation subject required for a certificate or rating.

The IGI is specifically needed to endorse an applicant for the Instrument knowledge exam.

Latest resources

Back