• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 70 coming to an airline near you!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Every non-pilot I know in their late 50s can't wait until 60-62 when they will retire. Every retired person I know is 60+. Nobody I know works until 70. What's the point?

I do know one guy who is over 65, a VP of Safety, and still working. His attitude sucks. He needs to quit but his ego won't let him. Makes it miserable for his coworkers. He thinks he is respected but he isn't. He's more less out to lunch. But he has no life so he continues to work... all the while reminding everyone how he has plenty of money and doesn't need the job.

What is it with pilots and retirement these days? Why work till 70? Retirement is just that. Something you reward yourself with after 40+ yrs of working.

I have so many hobbies that sometimes I forget I'm an airline pilot when not at work. This ain't the career it use to be and it certainly isn't worth hanging on past 65. For me, I can't wait till 60; will try to get out sooner if I can.

Get a life, guys. Really. Ya' can't take it all with you when you die. And no matter what, you will die sooner than later. So enjoy life while you can.

I guess some people just can't figure out how to enjoy life.
my dad worked until he was 85, worked as a sales rep, did it for the fun it. Lost his job after 9-11, died three years later. His vitality fell rapidly after he lost his job. I think working for him gave him a reason to get out of bed in the morning, without it he died.

my dad worked until he was 85, worked as a sales rep, did it for the fun it. Lost his job after 9-11, died three years later. His vitality fell rapidly after he lost his job. I think working for him gave him a reason to get out of bed in the morning, without it he died.

No offense to your father, but that's how it goes when you do somthing so long that you come to define yourself by that action. Flyers who have no outside life and fly up till the last allowable minute die soon after they retire because they never learned to enjoy life!!

Everyone senior to me should retire immediately. That would solve all the problems. The guys junior to me would still be screwed, but who cares about them.

No offense to your father, but that's how it goes when you do somthing so long that you come to define yourself by that action. Flyers who have no outside life and fly up till the last allowable minute die soon after they retire because they never learned to enjoy life!!

...and I'll bet you there are just as many if not more people out there that never enjoyed their jobs....

For what it's worth, I don't see age 70 getting any where near the traction that moving age 60 got.

...and your conclusion that "they never learned to enjoy life" is probably anything but the truth in their case.

There's a lot to life outside of what you do to make money- and a LOT of better ways to define yourself- and a LOT of really important work you ought to be doing- like volunteering/teaching/church-philosophy study/other passions that were underdeveloped bc they never became your career/ relationships w/spouse, children, grandchildren-
there ISA goal outside of making money- to become wise enough to have something TO teach.

If you're working and working--- you're probably really just running and avoiding...

Latest resources

Back