Age 70 coming to an airline near you!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

8v8tr

Just to give everyone heads up. At the ALPA National Meeting last week in Herndon, Va. Captain Paul Rice (VP) suggested making retirement age 70.

May want to start writing ALPA and your Congressman. Age 65 slipped through, lets not let this one slip through also.

What is it with these a##holes! All of a sudden, everyone wants to work till they drop dead. Whatever happened to enjoying your golden years like everyone else does. Give it a break already, shoot. If you want to fly so damn bad, get by a friggin rc airplane and fly that. :mad:

Just to give everyone heads up. At the ALPA National Meeting last week in Herndon, Va. Captain Paul Rice (VP) suggested making retirement age 70.

May want to start writing ALPA and your Congressman. Age 65 slipped through, lets not let this one slip through also.

Personally I think it should be medical based and not any arbitrary number. Of course some of the guys complaining about age 65 and age 70 would probably lose their medicals instead of the some of the older gents.

I predict that this will be a civil and well balanced thread.

(I'll come back and check in 20 pages or so)

FWIW, do you have a quote or public reference to this? Little coincidental that he is running for ALPA President and this comes out now.

Just saying.....

It would be suicide for him to recommend this and run for that office.

If the age is raised to 70 (or beyond), then to truly provide "fair treatment" to "experienced pilots" any airline pilot who was forced into retirement by the preceding age limit should be able to retroactively come back to their airline at the same seniority & position as they retired in.

I mean, age discrimination is age discrimination...right? Shouldn't those folks be made as whole as those currently taking advantage of the age change?

...but I'm guessing that'd be a non-starter because it wouldn't be as beneficial for those currently at the top of the payscale who want to 'fly 'til they die'...

This is not true. Captain Rice mentioned that some people are talking about raising the age to 70, but he said "that is not the answer." He certainly didn't suggest that we raise the age. Quite the contrary. His opponent in the race for President, however, championed increasing the age to 65. The previous administration under Captain Woerth, of which Captain Rice was an integral part, adamantly opposed increasing the age, and fought for years to prevent it, until Prater came along.

Cool. :) I have no problem with age 70. I'm out of here at 60 myself, but if someone else wants to work longer, it's their business, not mine.

Latest resources

Back