• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 70 coming to an airline near you!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
thats because these A holes are only working 10-15 days a month and making 200k a year. What an awesome retirement job! When they want a longer stretch off, they just take one of the 4 weeks of vacation they have! I agree with the 65 rule, how else will survive when I am 65 having been a regional pilot my entire career because of this industry.

Don't worry you won't. The majors are "takin it back". Apparently its your fault that RJs wound up flying the majority of US flying. What cracks me up, is that Alpa is collecting dues from regional pilots and using that money to pay the lawyers/ representatives/national who are now trying to help mainline bring the flying back that THEY lost. Nothing like paying your union to put you on the street.... Interesting concept. Can't believe somewhere in there is a severe conflict of interest.

Good luck, I feel for you brother, the street is cold.

What cracks me up, is that Alpa is collecting dues from regional pilots and using that money to pay the lawyers/ representatives/national who are now trying to help mainline bring the flying back that THEY lost. Nothing like paying your union to put you on the street.... Interesting concept. Can't believe somewhere in there is a severe conflict of interest.

That is no more of a conflict than the mainline pilots paying dues to ALPA to help outsource all that flying to begin with. So the worst case from a regional lifer's perspective is that mainlines take back the flying they owned anyway. Regionals are ALWAYS free to try an Indy Air or a Republix Air Group experiment and see if it works. Then, if they so chose, regional pilots can allow outsourcing of planes to the legacy/major/mainline airlines for as little or as long as they want.

That is no more of a conflict than the mainline pilots paying dues to ALPA to help outsource all that flying to begin with.

WHAT???? How did Alpa help outsource flying??? Maybe through very poor leadership?? I guess that is what your getting at.

I don't like what mainline did and definitely think the flying should come back for the good of the career, but a house divided will not stand. And brother, this house is divided and will be for years to come. Definitely not healthy for this career or the union.

Shouldn't be able to captain >60

bring the experience- but decisions should be left to younger minds- pilots are too prideful to know when to hang it up

Ah - arrogance. Fits just with the teet sucker generation. I work with quite a few 60+ year olds in and out of flying. The vast MAJORITY are very sharp. The minority are walking around confused.

thats because these A holes are only working 10-15 days a month and making 200k a year. What an awesome retirement job! When they want a longer stretch off, they just take one of the 4 weeks of vacation they have! I agree with the 65 rule, how else will survive when I am 65 having been a regional pilot my entire career because of this industry.
Yeah, it's a great gig. Life is good. :)

70 won't happen - for several years anyway. Have to get over the 65 hangover and then take a breather.

ehh don't worry about Indude- he's playing his FI character and is pretty good at it most times-

Ah - arrogance. Fits just with the teet sucker generation. I work with quite a few 60+ year olds in and out of flying. The vast MAJORITY are very sharp. The minority are walking around confused.

and that's why they can be FOs - stay in the flight deck and give aviation the benefit of experience- but they ought not be captains. There will be pilots whose skills will deteriorate- let the younger but also very experienced keep a watch out. The ONLY other option will be increased medical standards as we age- and we should ALL worry about that happening.

WHAT???? How did Alpa help outsource flying??? Maybe through very poor leadership?? I guess that is what your getting at.

I don't like what mainline did and definitely think the flying should come back for the good of the career, but a house divided will not stand. And brother, this house is divided and will be for years to come. Definitely not healthy for this career or the union.

I agree the current system is not only harmful to everyone, it was born from ignorance, arrogance, greed, ego and fear. But the solution starts and ends with the mainline groups getting their houses in order. The trend of outsourcing needs to not only stop growing, but it needs to be reversed and the ONLY way to accomplish that is for mainline pilot groups to place it as the number one bargaining room priority. Fixing the issue has to come from the mainlines, because the regionals don't own one seat of the flying they do. The mainlines do own it and are free to bargain for it all back if they so chose to pay for it. The regionals can't bargain for one seat of outsourced flying other than bidding to be the cheapest and hoping their company wins the next CPA RFP.

Mainlines started the mistake, it is up to mainlines to fix it.

walking around confused?

and there is no under age 60 displaying this same walking around confused? If we really want to do this retirement age correctly in the name of safety, we take the age of pilot that experiences an in-flight incapacitation, say a heart attack at age 47, and that becomes the new retirement age. BTW Never mind that this 47 year old pilot, smoked, weighted 300 pounds, 38% body fat, Type two diabetic, and had a sleep disorder. Remember this is about age and has nothing to do with an individual's condition.

Last edited:
I wonder how many of you pro Age 70 guys are furloughed right now? Thanks guys...just what I need....extend my furlough by yet another 5 years...great.

Latest resources

Back