• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not true; if you re-read the post, I was referencing someone's argument that these folks are doing it because they "just love to fly"..inferring that for some in this demographic, there is not longer a financial necessity to fly professionally..just a 'hobby job' to keep them busy during what should be retirement years (and are for almost every other profession...Supreme Court Justices excepted).

Now as for safety; would you want to 70+ cardiologist cracking you open? Given: he has about as much wisdom in his profession as one can have, just like similarly aged pilots. Both professions, however, require a steady hand with fast reflexes. They also require good short-term memory, and above average cognitive ability.
I'll be the first to admit: when I near my 70th decade on this ball of mud, I don't expect to meet the above physical standards (father time usually doesn't allow it), and will be enjoying my family and free time.

Granted, with the proliferation of automated flight decks in the last 50+yrs, a pilot can still maintain a minimum level of proficiency into more advanced age ranges. Father time, however, doesn't miss anyone. He may get to some earlier than others, but he maintains a 100% completion factor.

When you near our 70th decade, you're gonna be REALLY old. :D

I retired from a desk job at age 56 to fly full time after many years of part-time flying. Took a huge paycut and never looked back. Retired again when I reached 68. All done with the weekly airline hassles, long duty days, etc. Additional factor was the recognition that I was working harder on the checkrides. In other words, Father Time was creeping up on me. Figured I owed it to the profession to move on (and open up a move-over slot for a young'un)
Bravo; an individual who has enough self-realization ability and honesty with one's sense to make a difficult but prudent decision THEMSELVES. Didn't let the gov't tell him it's time to hang up the spurs...didn't (embarrassingly) force a succession of sim examiners/check airmen to tell him that. He self-evaluated in the interest of primarily safety and secondarily a sense of fairness to the next generation.

If more were like this, perhaps this debate would be less heated.

Good for you! (and enjoy retirement..you've earned it :) )

Bravo; an individual who has enough self-realization ability and honesty with one's sense to make a difficult but prudent decision THEMSELVES. Didn't let the gov't tell him it's time to hang up the spurs...didn't (embarrassingly) force a succession of sim examiners/check airmen to tell him that. He self-evaluated in the interest of primarily safety and secondarily a sense of fairness to the next generation.

and I would bet there are pilots under age 60 who did perform as well as this 68 year old gentleman, but we don't hear any cry about their degraded performance. Again if this awas about safety, we would use the youngest age of a pilot becoming incapacititated in the cockpit, say age 47, and make that the age limit. But as per before this is about "Get out of my seat" and not safety

Thanks for the kind words. Actually, I'm not totally done. I'm in the CAP, learning how to use the G1000 and working on quals to be a check airman in C172 and C182. Retirement rules!

PS.. I'll be the youngest CA in my unit. :D

rettofly, good for you. Have a terrific retirement. It's great to just go out and fly for fun and introduce others to flying.
Pilotyip, you discredit yourself with every post. This isn't a get out of my seat thread as you would like to spin it. It's very easy to get a first class medical and even easier to pass a canned checkride. I could probably do both of those at 80. Go find an anti union thread to contribute to. good day

rettofly, good for you. Have a terrific retirement. It's great to just go out and fly for fun and introduce others to flying.
Pilotyip, you discredit yourself with every post. This isn't a get out of my seat thread as you would like to spin it. It's very easy to get a first class medical and even easier to pass a canned checkride. I could probably do both of those at 80. Go find an anti union thread to contribute to. good day
the anti-65er's keep bringing up older pilot performance and safety. The age 65 has nothing to do with individual performance. I must be older and have trouble following your train of thought about discrediting myself, must be one of those age 65 things.

When I got my life and health insurance they wanted my age. Apparently old pilots die more than young pilots. Weird huh?

Gotta draw the line somewhere.

NetJets has about 250 pilots overall (about 100 or so of them are FOs) that will be age 65 or older in the next 5 years. NetJets has nearly 500 on furlough. The math doesn't add up for no furloughs if the old pilots were forced out.

Check your math, 330 over 65 at the time of my furlough. And with the new rule coming of no 60+ pairings in a 2 man crew, those numbers would come pretty close to the 482 on furlough. (actually I believe it's down to 460 something now with resignations)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back