• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's interesting to see the people who are drawing on Social Security who know full well that the baby boomer generation bankrupted the entire economy, stating that we are selfish!

It's time to look at yourselves long and hard in the mirror!

No generation has been so selfish, plundered the wealth of so many that came before it and so reluctant to take personal responsibility for any of it.

It is NOT our problem you have five marriages, three airline bankruptcies and a mountain of loans for houses and personal possessions you could never have afforded in the first place.

Stop hiding behind the cowardice of your own sheer stupidity expecting the rest of us to bankroll your own mistakes. If you can't carry your weight, load your own bags, make it through checkrides without "help". It's time TO GO!!!

Age 65= RETIREMENT!!!

It's a SAFETY issue! Nobody lives forever!!! GIVE IT UP!!!

It's a SAFETY issue! Nobody lives forever!!! GIVE IT UP!!!
When nothing else works you have to cry, motherhood, patriotism and safety, because no one can ever be against those. But that is not the case. This is about get out of my seat. Lets look at the age of pilot incapacitation’s, most are under 60.

Hawkered -

A bit of clarification for you. The oldest of the baby boomers is just now turning 65. Most of the boomers haven't drawn one penny of social security yet and have funded it more than any other group.

Here's a bit of info for you on the baby boomers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_boomer

Proud member of the baby boomer generation, class of 1959. :)

When nothing else works you have to cry, motherhood, patriotism and safety, because no one can ever be against those. But that is not the case. This is about get out of my seat. Lets look at the age of pilot incapacitation’s, most are under 60.

The fact that most incapacitation events occurred to pilots under 60 only strengthens the idea of an age limit no older than 60 or 65. Those guys had medicals and current checkrides too.

I think Grizz said it well. It is unfair to all those who can still perform beyond 65 but I believe there has to be a limit somewhere. Someone posted above that in my example of Captain Terrible that he may have been bad before he aged. That may be but most agree that after a certain age your skill reaches diminishing returns for all of us.

That may be but most agree that after a certain age your skill reaches diminishing returns for all of us.
But it is not uniform, as I have stated before, lets for the name of safety make the retirement age the age of the youngest pilot who experiences and inflight ncapacitation. That would be really safe,

"most agree that after a certain age your skill reaches diminishing returns"

FF, in the first place, I don't think that "most agree". I agree that generally younger=quicker and that is important for a fighter pilot in combat. Flying a transport aircraft not so much. In many cases, just the opposite is true.
Helm

By skillz, I'm not talking about top gun or steep turn stuff.. I'm talking about basic airman ship. I talking about things I have witnessed first hand.

I am talking about things like controlling the volume of your voice on an owner trip. Taxiing at half a normal speed at night because you need to get your bi-focal prescription changed. Screwing up the box on things most would consider normal ops (like a runway / approach change) and again putting the altitude where the heading belongs and the heading where the altitude belongs. One time I was in the back with the owner. When I came back I got strapped in and asked if there were any changes. Old guy replied "no". Seconds later we got yelled at my because my partner received a re-route and never hit the "execute" button on the FMS. I'm sorry but this kinda stuff sucks to work with. Then after you get done with the ASAP forms in your hotel you get to contemplate turning in Dad to the old people committee to see if the safety commentate comes up with the same conclusion everyone else on the line has. And rebutting that junior pilots make mistakes too is not apples to apples. Junior pilots get better, old pilots get worse.

I did not say everyone over "X" age is no good. As I stated many times previously, I have flown with some really really great people over 60 and 65, but I have also flown with some that really made me think about a standard age limit. It is my opinion from experience that if you are still cool after 65-ish than you are the exception and not the rule. Maybe as someone else posted, age is cool in an airline environment. Well age is not always cool with fractional flying.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back