• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 Stinks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Negative Prussian. We would be having movement right now if your generation were equal to of even a fraction of the consideration you insist you are.

There are better answers out there than 65. Nothing has been gained with it.

Age discrimination sucks even worse.

Instructordude,

So please explain to us how Age 65 is not age discrimination where Age 60 was Age discrimination.

Standing by for your reasoning.

AA767AV8TOR

P.S. Make no mistake, AGE 65 is the worst thing to hit the industry since B Scale. It also makes us a less safer industry, both to ourselves (longer exposure to high altitude radiation) and to our passengers.

P.S.S Thanks again everyday to SWAPA and ALPA for all you do for the industry and our lifestyles. :(

Furloughs are losing their first/only homes so that the over 60 can keep their second/motor homes. The reality is this is going to get worse.

Word of caution for those who's only advice is "get over it" or "timing is everything" or who otherwise support the change: You are never going to be proud of doing this to another pilot. Back off on your tenor now and at least start to consider how you're going to help other pilots (real tough for some of you I know). The embarrasment this is going to bring on you will overwhelm whatever credibility you've earned in your career.

Last edited:
I think I can fly safely into my 70s with my health, I think there should be a movement for an age limit between 65-70! There should be a good mixture of pilots with experience to pass on to the backpack, skateboarding, guitar toting generation of pilots...:rolleyes:

I think I can fly safely into my 70s with my health, I think there should be a movement for an age limit between 65-70! There should be a good mixture of pilots with experience to pass on to the backpack, skateboarding, guitar toting generation of pilots...:rolleyes:

... believe it or not- I saw a pilot with a cane a couple weeks ago, and he was on a trip. both ends of the spectrum are getting fuzzy. :)

Same old tired song. Your sense of entitlement. You wan to live and die by seniority, but feel you're entitled to what those more senior than you have.

A pilot can legally work until 65...get over it. It's his job, his seniority, his retirement. Not yours. You can work until you're 65, too. You're not there yet...he is. You're not entitled to his money, or his job. If this is too much for you to fathom, find another line of work.

This situation isn't unique to the airline industry. As people nearing retirement age have seen the values of their homes and retirement savings fall sharply they have decided not to retire and to keep working. Lot's of people in many industries will be holding on to jobs into their late 60's and 70's which means that fewer jobs will be available to people who are either out of work or entering the work force for the first time. Couple this with a recession where companies are cutting jobs left and right and you have mass unemployment/underemployment.

I don't know how long this will last but for now we will be living in an era of severely reduced expectations for many and a sharp division between those who have jobs and those who don't. The people without decent jobs (or jobs at all) will essentially be living in a different world from those who do.

This is going to mean that everything is going to happen later for many people. College grads may be in their mid to late 20's or early 30's before they get their first good job and many people who lost their jobs in this recession/depression may be starting over from scratch in their 40's and 50's after being out of work for long periods of time and losing everything; this will force them to work into their 70's.

Many economists were predicting a large labor shortage in the USA as the baby boom generation retired and this may still happen, but it will be farther in the future than anyone thought. It's a bummer and we can only hope that things get better before it's too late for many people.

Times are tough, it's one thing to lose a flying job when there are other jobs in other industries available but many people are finding out that in addition to very few flying jobs being available (and more pilots getting terminated all the time) there are very few jobs in other industries available except for people with very specific qualifications and previous experience. Being a highly experienced commercial pilot has little or no value outside of aviation.

Age 65 gets you to Social Security and Medicare.

I feel blessed knowing our older/senior pilots, many who have lost it all (pensions), have an extra five years to make it work. God Bless Prater!

And your pleasant personality

Latest resources

Back