Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 right around corner... 15 year upgrades at SWA!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
At least part of SWAPA was. I think the last vote was something like 55-45.

Last vote was 59-41 and about 1,000...count em' 1000 F/O's didn't bother voting. The milk is already spilled boys. Its time to lick it up. To bad it spilled in the kitty litter box.

Last edited:
A question to those of you angry at ALPA: did you participate in the survey? Are you aware that not even 50% of the membership even bothered to vote in the survey? I think Prater has handled this horribly, and I disagree with ALPA's current position on this issue, but the fact of the matter is that the membership didn't even bother to get involved in this.

You are correct but that's not the whole story. Of those that did vote the overwhelming majority did not want to change the rule.

Why do people keep paying ALPA dues if they're so unhappy with the union?

It seems like there are a lot of people who don't like ALPA, but are they the majority? If they are, why don't they try to decertify ALPA at their respective airlines? The US Airways guys are giving it a shot (anybody know what happened with that?).

This is NOT flame bait. Just a question from an outsider looking in.

Thanks.
Skyward80

Dues payments are not voluntary. If you don't pay the union can have you terminated.

Great system huh?

Document your case... put it together..... start a website...
My membership status reads "inactive," so I don't really think that's my place. The active membership needs to rise up and demand accountable representation. Prater seems to think that he is above the will of the membership, and someone needs to teach him that that's not the case. It won't be me, however, unless my carrier's union merges into ALPA someday. (something that would now be harder to accomplish thanks to Prater alienating an even larger portion of the industry :rolleyes: )

You are correct but that's not the whole story. Of those that did vote the overwhelming majority did not want to change the rule.

The majority of the minority?

5 more years at $500,000 plus bennies?

What is the difference between his CAL income and retirement and his ALPA Pres......baby?

Dues payments are not voluntary. If you don't pay the union can have you terminated.

Great system huh?

Kinda like our tax system... how many would not pay taxes?

Last edited:
The majority of the minority?
The "majority of the minority" elects all politicians, including the President of the United States, in this country. Are those elections all invalid in your mind simply because the true majority of the population didn't participate? Sorry, it doesn't work that way. The membership spoke. Prater ignored them, then stabbed them in the back. I will continue to support ALPA because I believe strongly in the Association, but I look forward to the day that Prater is kicked out on his ass.

My membership status reads "inactive," so I don't really think that's my place.

Why not. Your effected by it.

The active membership needs to rise up and demand accountable representation.

The membership needs to do allot of things...

Prater seems to think that he is above the will of the membership, and someone needs to teach him that that's not the case.

Not sure if he thinks he is above the will.... who's gonna teach him?

It won't be me, however, unless my carrier's union merges into ALPA someday.

You are still effected as all non ALPA pilots are. ALPA was THE main player on this Age 60 fiasco.

(something that would now be harder to accomplish thanks to Prater alienating an even larger portion of the industry :rolleyes: )

Valid point.... however, yet another reason to join ALPA. ALPA is changing the retirement age for all pilots mind as well join and fix it..

The "majority of the minority" elects all politicians, including the President of the United States, in this country.

The masses or citizens are too irresponsible, undecated and apathetic to vote.

Are those elections all invalid in your mind simply because the true majority of the population didn't participate? Sorry, it doesn't work that way.

No of course not.... my point is.... if a majority of the membership particapted then the message would have been louder. If more resolutions were brought to meetings and passed then things might have been different.

The membership spoke.

But even so.... the real question is.... was the change really stoppable? How much influence did ALPA really have.

After the EC and EB got breifed by gov't affairs... those guys new it was like trying to hold back the ocean.

It comes down to what you believe..

Prater ignored them, then stabbed them in the back. I will continue to support ALPA because I believe strongly in the Association, but I look forward to the day that Prater is kicked out on his ass.

That's fine. But he was also following the direction of the EB....

Latest resources

Back