Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 right around corner... 15 year upgrades at SWA!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The legislation is not retroactive, and airlines would not be required to hire back pilots who retire before the measure goes into effect.___
The bill is H.R. 4343.

The RJ airlines can use the experience of these newly retired but ready to be hired top notch pilots. I say they give back and hire on to Mesa etc as new hire FO's.

All in favor post Aye!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RF

FDJ, the bill wouldn't have come forward as stand-alone legislation in the first place if ALPA's buddy Oberstar didn't bring it to the floor. This happened because Prater pushed it. It wasn't "apparent" that it was going to change anyway. This could have been delayed for years to come.

I am not saying that Prater pushed it or not... but how do you know?

ALPA also has a responsibility to ICAO and the int'l pilot community for the US to align themselves with the global pilots. There are many pilots that fly past 60. There are ALPA pilots that fly in North America over age 60, in and out of DCA, the nations capital for example...

Last edited:
I am not saying that Prater pushed it or not... but how do you know?

Because I'm not completely clueless and blind. Anyone can see what happened here. ALPA's biggest buddy on the Hill proposed stand alone legislation to change this regulation, and you expect me to believe that Prater had nothing to do with it? Sorry, doesn't pass the smell test. Not to mention the fact that every time I've talked with Prater, all he can do is rant and rave about Age-60. It's an obsession with him, and it has been since before he even took office.

Call it what you like, anyone that is not a line holding captain is getting bent over and screwed...again...to the tune of 3/4 of a million bucks.

I think we all need to vote for the recall of Prater, that stupid pr!ck.

Actually if I'm not mistaken your primary beef should be with your MEC Chairman unless you work for NWA or XJT.

Every MEC Chairman but those two voted in favor of supporting the change as they comprise the Executive Board.

The Executive Board set the direction. The President (Prater) carried out the direction of the Executive Board as he is tasked to do.

Technically, John Prater did his job. It is true, however, that he should have questioned the direction set by the Board since it was at odds with membership polling.

If you're gonna start the recalls, start at your MEC level. And maybe find out how your status representative voted on the issue at your local level. This is a far deeper issue than the figurehead president.

Because I'm not completely clueless and blind. Anyone can see what happened here. ALPA's biggest buddy on the Hill proposed stand alone legislation to change this regulation, and you expect me to believe that Prater had nothing to do with it? Sorry, doesn't pass the smell test. Not to mention the fact that every time I've talked with Prater, all he can do is rant and rave about Age-60. It's an obsession with him, and it has been since before he even took office.

So what is his motive?

So what is his motive?
I don't know what his biggest driver is. When he starts ranting, he hits on just about every issue the pro-change crowd has ever talked about: loss of pensions, age discrimination, personal choice, etc.... Besides it doesn't really matter to me what his motivation is. The membership spoke, and he didn't listen. He deserves to be recalled, but unfortunately, the membership apathy precludes that possibility from ever coming to pass.

Actually if I'm not mistaken your primary beef should be with your MEC Chairman unless you work for NWA or XJT.

Every MEC Chairman but those two voted in favor of supporting the change as they comprise the Executive Board.

The Executive Board set the direction. The President (Prater) carried out the direction of the Executive Board as he is tasked to do.

Technically, John Prater did his job. It is true, however, that he should have questioned the direction set by the Board since it was at odds with membership polling.

If you're gonna start the recalls, start at your MEC level. And maybe find out how your status representative voted on the issue at your local level. This is a far deeper issue than the figurehead president.
Funny, he can't do his job with a piece of paper with a few names on it. I guess it just depends on how he sees the specific issue.

Latest resources

Back