Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 right around corner... 15 year upgrades at SWA!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Spool I think anything is on the table. B scale wages, half votes, fences, caveates, etc. It's been done before. We've got the majority of votes, let's use it.

I've heard that the medical requirements would be a lot harder to pass. So all those old farts would lose there medicals anyways. Anyone else hear about the additional restrictions on the medicals?

I've heard that age discrimination is illegal.

Yes... ALPA should resist the change. However another question was.. if ALPA cannot stop the change, should ALPA work with the changes or fight it steadfast? (my words). (which way is most influential and effective? Having a seat at the table of change or not being invited to the meeting of change?)
True, but that's not an issue here. Who was the Congressman who introduced this stand-alone bill? James Oberstar, a politician that is as close to a sure thing for ALPA as can ever be hoped for. He is quite possibly the Association's best friend on Cap Hill. Let's just be honest here, Rez: the fact is, Oberstar never would have introduced this bill if Darth Prater had gone to him and told him that the Association was opposed. ALPA has far more pull with Oberstar than any of the pro-change lobbyists. The fact that Oberstar was the one to finally push this through as an independent bill is a clear signal to everyone that this was no longer "something that couldn't be avoided," this is actually something that was requested by Prater or others within ALPA of Congressmen Oberstar. In other words, Prater knows that the membership doesn't want this, but he forced it down their throats anyway using Oberstar to do his dirty work. Prater is self-centered jackass that doesn't give two sh*&s about what the membership thinks about this issue. As far as I'm concerned, he should be recalled.

I've heard that age discrimination is illegal.

Yeah, the new standards will be for everyone. Out of shape folks of all ages will get to retire early now.

Who knows what they will come up with, actually. But I'm not so sure I'd count on the status quo as far as medicals.

Last edited:
Out of shape folks of all ages will get to retire early now.
=quote]

wouldn't this affect at least 80% of airline pilots?

Yes it would by the looks of it. Make that really out of shape folks of all ages will get to retire early.

Alot of guys say that they don't smoke and drink like their elders did, and that they workout and such, but thats only part of the story I think. The other part is the lousy food and supersize portions of absolute garbage the average American eats these days. One thing replaces another.

That said, many guys approaching 60 are obviously good for more years. I'm actually for no age limit and a real physical, even being the mindful of the old adage be careful what you wish for.

It will all come out in the wash, one way or another.

Last edited:
I've heard that the medical requirements would be a lot harder to pass. So all those old farts would lose there medicals anyways. Anyone else hear about the additional restrictions on the medicals?

There are no additional restrictions on the medicals other than a line check every 6 months for those over 60.

‘‘(1) MEDICAL EXAMINATIONS AND STANDARDS.—Except as provided by paragraph (2), a person serving as a pilot for an air carrier engaged in covered operations shall not be subject to different medical standards, or different, greater, or more frequent medical examinations, on account of age unless the Secretary determines (based on data received or studies published after the date of enactment of this section) that different medical standards, or different, greater, or more frequent medical examinations, are needed to ensure an adequate level of safety in flight.

(2) LINE EVALUATIONS.—Not later than 6 months after the date of enactment of this section, and every 6 months thereafter, an air carrier engaged in covered operations shall evaluate the performance of each pilot of the air carrier who has attained 60 years of age through a line check of such pilot. Notwithstanding the preceding sentence, an air carrier shall not be required to conduct for a 6- month period a line check under this paragraph of a pilot serving as second-in-command if the pilot has undergone a regularly scheduled simulator evaluation during that period.

Something along the lines of why we ignored the wishes of the majority of our members, couched that in the cloak of "we need to be involved with the process cause it's gonna happen anyway."

You might want to consider that ALPA did have to be involved in the process because it was going to happen anyway. 390-0.

ALPA also polled the membership on what it should do if it became apparent age 60 would change.

The end result is it passed 390-0, and it passed with many of the stipulations ALPA pilots demanded, such as not allowing retired pilots to sue and get back their seniority numbers back, such as no changes to the medical standards, etc.

Do you truly think that ALPA, which only collects PAC money from 14% of its membership, could prevent a unanimous landslide of 390-0.

Even after Japan bombed Pearl Harbor Congress couldn't pass a unanimous vote to declare war.

FDJ, the bill wouldn't have come forward as stand-alone legislation in the first place if ALPA's buddy Oberstar didn't bring it to the floor. This happened because Prater pushed it. It wasn't "apparent" that it was going to change anyway. This could have been delayed for years to come.

How much longer can we hope for. Just because it will/may pass senate doesn't FAA have to implement it into the rule books.

Latest resources

Back