AGE 65 now LAW!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
An unjust law falls!

Amusing reading the various takes on the age 60 rule. However, the bottom line is that the age 60 rule was unjust from the day it was put into effect. Bad from various aspects. We lived with that law and some of us profitted from that law over the years, getting promotted at the expense of people forced out before their time.

Just because we all "knew the rules", doesn't mitigate the fact that the age 60 rule was capricious and discriminatory.

Slavery was made legal by a bad law. It persisted for years and even the Blacks "knew the rules". Many people profitted from slavery and many people came to accept it as the norm. However, in the final analysis, it was a bad law and it was finally terminated.

Yes, there will be pilots who suffer from this "emancipation" from age discrimination, just like the slave traders who were furious that their livelyhood had been taken away. I don't think anyone with any sense wept buckets of tears for the slave traders who profittd from "bad law"...I don't think anyone should spend too much time crying for those pilots who were hired early and retained because people were being forced out only because of age and now are "on hold".

Next question: when will they get rid of the age 65 rule?

If you would have read the post you would know the answer. But I will highlight it for you.

For decades, pilots in this industry have relied on the retirement of older pilots at the age of 60. These retirements allow for the entire seniority list to improve their quality of life and pay. The pilots who are now at the L1 door and are about to "jump on the exit slide of their careers" have benefited enormously from this concept we call retirment. It is now time for them to step aside and allow other to improve their lives. So the matter of principle is -moving on when you expected to move on so that others might improve their lives just like you did when those before you retired. If this had happened 20 years ago, you'd be bitching and moaning too.

I understand that many have lost a great deal in recent pension plan take backs. That concept is BS too!! So why not spend money paying off politicians to get back the money owed to you by the airlines rather than making your fellow pilots foot the bill for it.

Okaaay. And just what "principle" is it again?

".........Just because we all "knew the rules", doesn't mitigate the fact that the age 60 rule was capricious and discriminatory. quote]

Let me correct you JackA$$, not that long ago the United States Supreme Court ruled that 'age 60' was NOT "Discriminatory." And, been a while since I had civics class, but I do believe there are still the 'highest court' in the Land. Also, if "the age 60 rule was capricious and discriminatory," then why is 'age 65' Not "capricious and discriminatory?" Why is it Not 'capricious and discriminatoy' to require an individual to be 'at least 23 years of age' to hold an Airline Transport Pilot's certificate??? Didn't hear any of these 'poor old farts' yelling about changing that part of the rules??

This was about one thing and one thing only, a bunch of stupid, greedy old guys, changing the rules now because it benefited them.

And, finally your 'reference' to "slavery" proved that You are not just a 'jacka$$' but you are also 'Stupid'

But, Thanks for allowing me to 'correct' you.

DA

You guys kill me. Anyone with a brain five years ago saw this coming. When ICAO made it the standard - the US would at some point follow. Period. So grow up and suck it up. If you haven't planned for it - then it's your fault. This will only slow things down temporarily for the young guys - like myself (29) - yet will make a huge difference for the guys who would have had to bridge the medicare gap. Most pilots forced to retire at age 60 were not making $ 250 K for the last 20 years - as many of you have suggested. In fact the vast majority have had to try and find affordable health insurance without a meaningful retirement package (which is the norm these days). This is a real hardship. Much more of a hardship than a young pilot forced to wait a couple more years for his upgrade. Yet the senior pilots are the ones being called selfish. That's just funny.

This was the right thing to do.

It's over. The age of our retirement is now 65.

I asked you a question old timer. Is it indeed over?? Is APAAD done??

Folks: I don't like not knowing where this guy is!! Undaunted is not on here either. I'm keeping an eye on CAL ALPA and the news, I suggest you all do the same.

Of course, they may all just be at the Mercedes dealership.

The efficiency of getting it through eventually is breathtaking.
Introduced and passed by the House on Tuesday.
Given to the Senate and passed there on Wednesday.
Signed into law on Thursday.
After years of being sent to committees to sit and die, the final version gets passed in three days.
Amazing.

I know. Quite spooky indeed. It's like they didn't even really want to think about what they were actually doing. The blatant disregard for any consequence is amazing.

Why is it Not 'capricious and discriminatoy' to require an individual to be 'at least 23 years of age' to hold an Airline Transport Pilot's certificate??? Didn't hear any of these 'poor old farts' yelling about changing that part of the rules??

DA

And don't forget ATC mandatory retirement age. ATC is losing tons of experienced controllers. One of the APAAD supporters wrote in an email that it would be detrimental to safety to lose all the experienced pilots and replace them with younger less qualified pilots, yet they were not fighting to make the skies safer from the ATC side of things. It could have been the "Fair Treatment for Experienced Pilots and ATC Controllers Act"

My problem with the APAAD was the fact that they were hiding behind age discrimination. If you feel that strongly about age discrimination, then fight against all of it. Not just what benefits you financially. And if it was really just about working longer and making more money, then just say so. No one should feel ashamed to fight for what they truely believe in.

FS

I just retired in September, am in great health, was a check airman and miss the cockpit. I look forward to coming back as a First Officer flying with many of the Captains that I helped train. This way I won't be taking an upgrade or seniority in any way from anyone.
I applaud the new ruling.

Pure economics. Government likes it when people pay taxes. Taxes, 24/7, birth to death. Captains get to work longer, FO's get to keep working the side gig to make ends meet. Productivity up, GDP up, taxes up. Everything's looking good.

Economics, plain and simple. We have a union to try to improve the career and profession despite economics, unfortunately the good ship ALPA has lost its rudder. I'm not saying we should dump ALPA, but Prater may get to hear something other than applause next time I see him.

Capt. Priest - good for you, but there are many who have no intention of returning to the right seat and who are probably already on the phone to their attorney. Someone else mentioned FedEx, there a return to the left seat with the retirement & insurance would be around $3,000,000.

Hopefully this will put more pressure on ALPA to do something rational with scope. Unless 100 seat jets make it to mainline, there are going to be many retiring First Officers.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back