• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 65 ICAO Rule – You Might Be Surprised

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have flown with about 12 over 60 guys now. Of that twelve, ten of them required way too much of my time and attention. The only thing I didn't do was to offer to change diapers between legs.

On another note, I have flow with a ton of guys 55-60. I would say 60% of them require extra vigilance on my part. Bash away at me now, but I think something starts to happen to the airline pilots brain in his/her late 50's.

If the the airline and the FAA are allowing pilots fly to 65 and feel its safe to due so, why is there any restriction on pairing them with anyone?? There is no restriction on a pilot who is 59 and 22 paired together?? What if the 45 yr old pilot paired with the 63 yr old pilot gets sick during flight?? Does the age 63 pilot have to declare an emergency and land since they feel its not safe having them at the controls below 10,000?? By having this stipulation saying an over 60 pilot paired with an under 60 pilots is saying they feel there is some risk involved with pilots ages over 60 and they want to make sure there is at least one young..

Last edited:
The above rule demonstrates that even the powers at ICAO believe that flying over the age of 60 is inherently dangerous hence the “babysitting rule.” We already had one death at the controls above the age of 60 and one nearing age 60 over the last couple of years. What more proof do you need?

We are all flying in a complex, demanding, stressful and subjected to long periods of intense UV radiation and now the government suddenly thinks this is a good idea to let a bunch of senior pilots fly to 65 just so they can get a money grab?

Whether we like it or not, we are now conducting an intense social experiment just so some senior pilots can get a pass at spending five additional years in the highest paying seats. The sorry suckers in this experiment are the lowly FO’s and the unexpecting PAXS.

Not only must the safety issue be reconsidered, but also the inequity of the rule between the winners and losers is appalling and must be address. The rule has been a total scam.

AA767AV8TOR

Believe it or not, there were FOs looking at forced retirement at age 60. If everyone stays until 65, they will likely retire at age 65 as FOs.

Inherently dangerous? I think that it simply addresses the concern some something undetected causing an incapacitation increases with age. 60 may not be the appropriate number.

PropPiedmont, If 10 out of twelve were unsafe, did you do anything about it? If they can do the job, let them stay. If not, get rid of them. Flying airplanes is not an entitlement.

Hey guy's,

I am dealing with the same thing in corporate aviation. I currently fly with one gentleman who is 67 years old, can't operate the FMS and falls asleep every 20 minutes not to mention offends everyone he talks to. We have no restrictions in part 91. Im with you... fight on!

Hey rjpilot7667, My last F/O is 41 and fall asleep every leg in a 4 day-trip schedule.
So what`s your point?

Stop complaining, I fly with over 60 guys all the time and they do just fine. This is ONLY an issue because it came on a bad economic time, if airlines would have been hiring 80 pilots a month like pre 9/11, none of you would be saying a peep about it

Stop complaining, I fly with over 60 guys all the time and they do just fine. This is ONLY an issue because it came on a bad economic time, if airlines would have been hiring 80 pilots a month like pre 9/11, none of you would be saying a peep about it

Great point but I am still confused. You say this is economic while others say safety. Can you address why there has to be a pilot who is less than 60 below 10,000ft? Also, can you list me more than 2 ICAO countries that allow allow their pilots to fly over 60? I understand ICAO allows flying over age 60 but it is up to the discretion of each country/operator whether they do so. Here, they made age 60 an issue of discrimination. If it was purely discrimination, then why did American put out that policy on having the pilot who is over 60 have a pilot less than 60 under 10,000ft?

They should have raised it to 70 while they were at it. Then we would not have to go through this again in 2012. BTW Who would you rather have in the right seat of Q400 going in BUF on an icy night, a 66 year old 13,000 ATP or a 20’s something low time former CFI?

They should have raised it to 70 while they were at it. Then we would not have to go through this again in 2012. BTW Who would you rather have in the right seat of Q400 going in BUF on an icy night, a 66 year old 13,000 ATP or a 20’s something low time former CFI?

I would rather have neither of them up there. Hopefully this new law going through congress will take care of one of them. Read this article regarding age 60.

http://www.age60rule.com/docs/FAA Not Adopt ICAO Standard.pdf

Latest resources

Back