Age 65 ICAO Rule – You Might Be Surprised

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA767AV8TOR

There’s little debate on how the Age 65 ruling has devastated the careers of the lower ¾ of the pilots across the industry as our industry continues to shrink and consolidate. Due to inability or lack of foresight of not even administering a simple phase-in of the new Age 65 retirement age (which would have made for a more sensible change), the ruling has stopped any progression for the next three and half years industry wide.

As the industry continues to shrink and consolidate during the current difficult economic times, the junior pilot has paid a high price for our senior pilots to remain in the highest paying seats an extra five years. This has resulted in additional furloughs, backwards career movement, loss of career earnings, and massive stagnation across our industry. It has force many to leave the career for good due to the lack of upward opportunities and low rates of pay. Ask yourself; has Age 65 really increase the safety factor across our industry or was this just a money grab by our most senior pilots?

Now we find that not only did we lose our seats to these pilots and forced to endure lower rates of pay for much longer, but are forced to have to baby-sit them up in the cockpit under 10,000. If Age 65 is so safe (as we know it isn’t), why the following rule?

This today from AA management:

RE: AGE 60 COCKPIT SEAT RESTRICTIONS.
PILOTS OVER AGE 60 ARE REMINDED TO REVIEW ICAO RESTRICTIONS GOVERNING SEAT OCCUPANCY WHEN FLYING IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES.

SPECIFIC GUIDANCE IS LOCATED IN FM PART I, SECTION 17, PG 1, PARA 2.2. IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES, DURING PHASES OF FLIGHT AT LESS THAN 10,000 FEET AGL, THERE MUST BE ONE PILOT UNDER AGE 60 IN EITHER THE LEFT OR RIGHT PILOT SEAT. DURING FLYING BETWEEN THE US AND ANOTHER COUNTRY, A PILOT MUST BE ASSIGNED TO THE FLIGHT DECK CREW WHO HAS NOT YET ATTAINED 60 YEARS OF AGE.

THANKS FOR YOUR ASSISTANCE.

MANAGER FLIGHT OPERATIONS QUALITY CONTROL

The senior pilots pulled a major coup with Age 65. It serves as major reminder of why the junior pilots must get involved. Our careers and safety depend on it.

AA767AV8TOR

Agreed

Age 60 rule change was carefully crafted by the powers that be and it was a windfall for only a small segment of active airline pilots.

I don't see how the folks who advocated this rule sleep at night, let alone the pilots that actively fly past age 60, most of whom are wealthy, while thousands of pilots on are on the street in dire circumstances.

Age 60 rule change was carefully crafted by the powers that be and it was a windfall for only a small segment of active airline pilots.

I don't see how the folks who advocated this rule sleep at night, let alone the pilots that actively fly past age 60, most of whom are wealthy, while thousands of pilots on are on the street in dire circumstances.

I'm sure they are sleeping just fine. It's really no surprise that this rule got stuffed down the pilots' throat. The current crop of politicians that passed it are mostly baby boomers. This is the generation that runs the country. Those pols can always provide a healthy dose of spin when their actions are questioned, just like the 60+ ers can. It's not about the profession, it's about ME.

Ask yourself; has Age 65 really increase the safety factor across our industry or was this just a money grab by our most senior pilots?

It is difficult/impossible to use the accident that did not happen.

If Age 65 is so safe (as we know it isn’t), why the following rule?

I am not sure who "we" is. What are your facts for this assertion?

AA767AV8TOR

If bringing back age 60 is a good idea, collect some data and start a grass roots effort to get it changed.

Hey guy's,

I am dealing with the same thing in corporate aviation. I currently fly with one gentleman who is 67 years old, can't operate the FMS and falls asleep every 20 minutes not to mention offends everyone he talks to. We have no restrictions in part 91. Im with you... fight on!

Most don't have the health to make it to age 65 anyway... The truth is that most pilots who work past age 60 will meet an early grave. :(

Hey guy's,

I am dealing with the same thing in corporate aviation. I currently fly with one gentleman who is 67 years old, can't operate the FMS and falls asleep every 20 minutes not to mention offends everyone he talks to. We have no restrictions in part 91. Im with you... fight on!

That's when it's time to report them. Are you guys union?

Latest resources

Back