Age 63????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Age 60

If some schmuck lawmaker says I HAVE to retire at 60.....then let's make it "fair" across the board.
1) Make EVERY doctor retire at 60! They certainly have your life in their hands if they have you on a table getting ready to take out your spleen!
2) Every Senator and Congressman! They CERTAINLY do things that can affect you life(and liveleyhood).
3) Every driver at 60!! God knows they can't be trusted with their responses deteriorating and all......
"Hard cases make BAD law"

jetflyer said:
If I'm correct, raising the RETIREMENT AGE TO 63 only hurts people with PENSIONS correct??

So if you work at a Jet Blue, Southwest etc it doesn't hurt you at all. It actually helps you have another option of working more if you see that your INVESTMENTS haven't lived up to what you thought they would. I am actually for it since I don't work for a company with a PENSION.

I also don't plan on going to an airline with a pension anyways since those companies all seem to be in trouble financially. The people with pensions at those airlines are in great risk of losing them, and they all seem to be losing their regular pay anyways becoming LCCs themselves. The whole industry is changing.

Besides I bet if US Airways survives, the pilots there will be happy to be able to work a few more years, so they can STASH some CASH for their retirement, since their PENSIONS WERE ROBBED FROM THEM. The same will probably be said for United pilots soon UNFORTUNATELY.

JET
Actually raising the retirement age helps those with a Defined Benefit Pension Plan. With the exception of FDX and UPS all the Majors have a serious underfunding problem with pensions.

At FedEx the ALPA leadership have never asked the question. The offical MEC line is in support of keeping Age 60. You never want to ask the question if you can't accept the answer.:(

I plan on retiring long before 60 if I can afford it. I also don't plan on counting on any sort of retirement plan that I don't manage myself. I still have decades before I reach 60, so I CAN retire early. I think 60 is reasonable, based on most of the pilots that are older than 50 that I've flown with....only ONE, who was in his 80s by the way, was competent enough to get past the Age 60 Rule, and he was still having a great time in his own plane -- why bother working when you're that old, even if you live well past 100!!

NuGuy said:
Hey guys,

A couple of things to consider...

1) If they raise it to 63, you can bet your bottom dollar that all those guys from 60-63 are going to be clamoring to get their jobs back. So whether you are at UPS, NWA, UAL, AAI, SWA or whoever, you could see YOUR number slide BACKWARDS a significant amount (maybe even into the hundreds, adding to any furloughs), PLUS the stagnation that will follow.

If you think that the argument that "they are already retired" will hold any weight, you will be sorely mistaken.

2) You can also bet cash money that the FAA will REQUIRE some sort of cognative testing to begin around 50-55. Chances are you won't make it to 60, let alone 63 because the FAA thinks you are too "slow" with whatever wack-a-doodle testing they come up with (probably that weird color test they used to give a PDT would be a good start).

Psych stuff is VERY difficult to objectively refute. Ask Bob Hoover how it went when they were out to get them. Better make sure your loss-of-medical insurance is paid up.

Be carefull what you wish for...

Nu
What if we do it this way?

When you go to get hired by an airline, you negotiate your salary like a ball player, when you don't produce anymore...you don't get renewed.

FN FAL said:
What if we do it this way?

When you go to get hired by an airline, you negotiate your salary like a ball player, when you don't produce anymore...you don't get renewed.
They pay me a cool million a year, I would be more than willing to agree to a contract like that.

The other thing to consider is that airlines have set up the "A" plan to compensate pilots for the break between age 60 manditory retirment and the Social security age of 64 or 65 or whatever age it is. Once (if) the rule is changed. Kiss that goodbye... Another selfish act contributed by the ole timers... Thanks guys. I really didnt want to retire at age 60, Id rather work till I drop dead and that old "A" plan, didnt need that either. Im glad 80%-90% of the entire professional pilot work force could sacrafice our all to suit you few... And if you say that I can retire at age 60 if I want, It doesnt hold water. Im sure there will be a penilty for early retirment. This is kinda like the guy who doesnt want the word GOD in the the National Anthem, Sure, he has his rights, but should 99.99% of all Americans have to sacrifice so that this guys rights arent walked on... NO!!!!!!

Also, In case anyone isnt paying attention, Im just a line pilot at UPS. I dont get to make really big decisions around here. So when you tell me not to tell you when to retire, We'll thats slightly abouve my pay grade... The FAA, Now there telling you when to retire... Bi1ch to them, I dont want to hear it. Im just a supporter of the current age 60 rule. Change the rule to fit a few in the minority and end up screwing the rest of the 80%... Dont forget, Its all about you!!!

BIGBROWNDC8 said:
The other thing to consider is that airlines have set up the "A" plan to compensate pilots for the break between age 60 manditory retirment and the Social security age of 64 or 65 or whatever age it is. Once (if) the rule is changed. Kiss that goodbye... Another selfish act contributed by the ole timers... Thanks guys. I really didnt want to retire at age 60, Id rather work till I drop dead and that old "A" plan, didnt need that either. Im glad 80%-90% of the entire professional pilot work force could sacrafice our all to suit you few... And if you say that I can retire at age 60 if I want, It doesnt hold water. Im sure there will be a penilty for early retirment. This is kinda like the guy who doesnt want the word GOD in the the National Anthem, Sure, he has his rights, but should 99.99% of all Americans have to sacrifice so that this guys rights arent walked on... NO!!!!!!

Also, In case anyone isnt paying attention, Im just a line pilot at UPS. I dont get to make really big decisions around here. So when you tell me not to tell you when to retire, We'll thats slightly abouve my pay grade... The FAA, Now there telling you when to retire... Bi1ch to them, I dont want to hear it. Im just a supporter of the current age 60 rule. Change the rule to fit a few in the minority and end up screwing the rest of the 80%... Dont forget, Its all about you!!!
BIGBROWNDC8,

You seem to be a little confused with A plans and B plans.;) You had better check on your Social Security also. My parents could get the full benefit at age 65, I'll have to wait for 66, guess when you get it?:D

Social Security

Some details for those uninformed. I assume brownDC8 was born in 1964. He/she said he/she was 20 years away from age 60. I was born in 1943, I do not quality for full SS until age 66, my sister was born in 1953, and she does not quality for full SS until age 67. I think a 1964 b'day might wait until age 68. Now you can still draw reduced, and now days a greatly reduced SS, at age 62. For all those pilots not covered by a pension plan or those who worked for EAL, PA or some other place and thought they would be covered, it is a long time from age 60 to age 66 or better. UPS has a great union, they can still mandate full retirement at age 60 or 58 or whatever they want to bargain for. However, for those who become unemployed at age 60 because of a political deal between friends when I was 14 years old, it is a bad deal. Not all of us were lucky enough to have a job at UPS. In addition, in spite of brownDC8 thinks there is an element of luck in getting those great jobs that has nothing to do with skill or desire.

Last edited:
There you go...

pilotyip said:
Not all of us were lucky enough to have a job at UPS. In addition, in spite of brownDC8 thinks there is an element of luck in getting those great jobs that has nothing to do with skill or desire.

I got mine...

BigBrownOne it's called discrimination.

First off. How do you get from what Ive said in my post that I dont think Im lucky to be at UPS. I was the luckiest SOB out there, believe me. I know about interviews, Ive been to plenty, Forget the regionals, there were too many interviews to count, but at the majors, I got hired at three majors and turned down by Two. If Id taken any of the jobs at any of the other carriers Id be on the street. Lets not get carried away with the whole "Lucky to be at UPS thing", I know Im lucky but the truth be told, before 9/11 all my friends thought I was crazy to take a job at UPS v/s AA, but I did. I dont know why I did, but I did. It was luck and I know it...

About the A plan or the B plan, whichever, (hell, its late!!! give me a break) Its true regarding whichever plan it is. Once the bar is lifted, there will be no age for retirement. Once that happens, most if not all Companies will push to get rid of the A Plan ir B plan.

As far as when Ill be able to recieve my SS bennies, Hell, I dont know... If I have to work till Im 68 or 72 like all you guys want us to be able to do, It wont matter. Ill probably drop dead the day before I retire anyway.

Cya Guys...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back