• Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Foxhunter;

I was wondering what kind of airplane is a SVC 10? Thanks

PHXFLYR:cool:

G4G5 said:
Read the fine print under current position. Both of us are furloughed AA and age 63 converts into 3 more years out on the street.
Wahahaha...I forgot, somebody promised you a rose garden.

This is great news!

I will be 61 this year, this means I can go back and fly the DC-9 again.

Age 80

it needs to be raised to Age 80 in my opinion

that way the old farts can stick around even longer and nobody will move ahead

screw you, I got mine

FN--If these guys want to vent over their furloughs being extended if the age goes to 63, let 'em. That's what this board is about.

Being furloughed myself, I empathize with those who are waiting to return to their airline jobs. With my furlough happening at age 45, I may need to go beyond 60 to make up for these years of lost money. Maybe not but it's a personal decision. IMO.TC

PHXFLYR,

The VC10, and later the SVC10 was a British aircraft built in the 60s. It had four engines mounted in the rear. I had quite a bit more thrust than the DC8s and 707s of the day. It could fly with a full load Nairobi to London nonstop. MAX weight was around 335,000 lbs which was about the same as the DC8 and 707.
It is probably one of the nicest flying aircraft ever built. I flew it as a F/O for East African Airways during furlough in the early 70s. The only VC10/SVC10 still flying are tankers for the RAF.

AA717driver, if the age is raised it is no longer a personal decision. Folks won't be able to retire at 60 and receive their full retirement, thus they won't have the choice to retire at 60.

I feel for guys who need to continue working, but there is a large market for experienced pilots in the Part 135 and corporate world. I've flown with enough 59 year olds who should have already retired to be confident that this is a good law. and before anyone leaps...I've flown Part 135 with quite a few extra sharp 65-70 year old guys. If anyone can find a way to please both sides of this argument to keep safety the number one issue, I'd like to hear it.

No safety issue in this post. Just a comment that I sure as he!! don't want or plan to work past 60. In fact, I turn 50 in 14 months. I would like to retire then...or at least "retire" to a hobby job (out of aviation and full time into the music business). Then again, I wouldn't presume to tell someone who does what they should or shouldn't do with their life.

Objective criteria

eddie said:
If anyone can find a way to please both sides of this argument to keep safety the number one issue, I'd like to hear it.

I admit, I'm gonna make this post from a "perfect world" point of view.

I think we could honestly and effectively eliminate the Age 60 rule if the medical and training communities would perform honest and objective screening and evaluation.

In other words:

Today, the so-called "flight physical" is pretty much a joke. We all know doctors who will check your pulse, take your C Note and send you on your way all in under an hour (more like 10 minutes).

Not only that, but we all like to point out that our jobs are on the line every six months or so during our recurrent checkrides, but really, how many of us are truly tested?

Even so, chronic degraded performance seen on the line may not be entirely evident in a two hour sim session.

The only way (as far as I can tell) to be fair *and* safe is to apply some serious medical evaluation *and* some serious training and checking.

I'm talking about cognitive and perceptive testing.
I'm talking about frequent line checks.
I'm talking about rigorous sim rides.

I also think the Age 60 rule has no basis in science and is largely a political phenomenon but it just might be the best thing going right now in lieu of more serious supervision.

But let's face it: The FAA (in their eyes) have bigger fish fry. Aging and fatigued pilots are not the hot topic today. Airline security is where all of their efforts will be directed. Don't expect them to embrace a honest safety issue any time soon.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back