• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 63????

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SWAPA was (is) very big on extending the age 60 rule. They tried to get it overturned/changed when ALPA was against it. Spending lots of our money. Maybe it will get somewhere now that big ol' ALPA is onboard.

I personally, do not care either way. I'd like to see pilotyip get into the 9 again, if he wants to.

Now it requires a college degree!

pilotyip said:
I will be 61 this year, this means I can go back and fly the DC-9 again.
PILOTYIP:

It's unfortunate that your company only hires college graduates at the present time. I hope you have enrolled at a local universtiy since retiring from the DC9.

I couldn't resist. I guess I'll have to buy you dinner at the Tin Lizzy.....when they reopen. Change can be brutal, but there is always the Wedge Bar.

Jeff

FN FAL said:
Wahahaha...I forgot, somebody promised you a rose garden.
Next time just read the profile and you won't look like such an as.

PS I never said anything about a rose garden

Last edited:
Yeah right, My heart bleeds for you. You make the case for extending the age over 60 to all the hard cases and worst case senerios. I think Id be right in guessing that only a very small few fall into the category that you mentioned and most just had poor planning or simply dont have a life. Like I said before, "GET A LIFE" You want something to do, Home Depot is hiring, go tell them your story, someone there might be interested... Its all about you anyway, right...

Brown--I assume you fly for UPS. If you do, you are blessed to work for top pay and a good retirement. I'm happy for you. If you needed the money and had the choice of flying a couple more years of pushing nails at HD, what would you choose? Or, is that different since it's not you?

Until you've been in my shoes...TC

So when its uped to 63, arent those same problems concerning pay and healthcare still going to be present? When do you draw the line?

The problems remain, but are partially alleviated by being allowed to work longer. The fact that humans are living longer and medical care is more expensive, yet you are being forced to retire at the same age (soon without a pension) seems lost on most people. You can't go home again but must awaken to the new reality.

Yeah, I know Im lucky to be at UPS. I still have a job, thats lucky, but it doesnt mean it is a walk in the park to be a night guys. The last word Id use to describe my job at UPS is "Lucky" That being said, It still doesnt change the fact that changing the age will only stand to benifit one group over another. Which is always bad... You can say that I have personal motives here, we'll so do you. I still say that for a pilot to be at a point in his/her career at age 60 and to need just a few more years to sustain them through retirment is poor planning on a pilots part. Another part of it is that alot of pilots lack the social skills to engauge in social activities with others too, hence not able to have a life away from aviation (wiggleing the stix)... I dont see why the whole industry should have to change to compensate for that.

If you want to argue that post 9/11 economic situation has made the (situation) bad for the pilots and that extending the age will help, I can certainly agree, however, what about the furloughed pilots? By extending the age over 60 will help you but it will really screw everyone below you on the senority list most of all the furloughees...

I also believe that I have certain expectations from my job. I expect that I might get furloughed one day, I expect that I might have to strike for a good contract, I expect that Ill have all kinds of ups and downs. One up is working less, making a suitable wage and retiring at the age of 60. Do I think its fair that I got started in my Civilian aviation career at the age of 40 and that some other pilot got hired at the age of 26. When Im 60 and they are 46, Im not going to expect them to change all the rules for me because I only got to spend 20 years as a "Major" pilot and they got to spend 34 and will make more money than me at the end of thier career.

Sorry we disagree, I respect everyone elses opinion, This is all about perspective.

Cya...BIGBROWNDC8

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back