• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 - Suicide of UAL Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I do if they have intentions of killing themselves. Personally, I wouldn't want my family flying on a plane if I knew that one of the pilots has suicidal tendencies. Although I'm sympathetic to people with these problems, they aren't always in a state to make rational decisions. I know because my step-son suffers from these problems.
How would you feel if you knew that one of your pilots is having a particularly bad day and is going to fly in about an hour? Would you or your family get on the plane? Heck, I've flown with people going through nasty divorces who had to be taken off the line. It's nothing personal, but if you're not in the state of mind to act like a professional, you don't belong up there. Jmho.

WADR, I think you and ALBIE are missing the point. In perfect world of kittens and no mean people, it would be great to ground folks with any tendancies we don't like. Unfortunately, we don't live there. Albie talks of the PRP program in the AF. Since they have it all figured out, I'm sure no one in the program ever killed themselves....WRONG.

THESE RULES HAVE THE OPPOSITE EFFECT!!. Granted, if someone is merely nucking futz, it's noticed and he's grounded. The problem is those on the edge or progressing there. THEY WILL NOT SEEK HELP. If someone is going thru a bad divorce, do you want them in the cockpit "untreated"?

In this case, Capt Zenner was NOT a danger to others. He could have gone out on his finni flight in the 400 and killed a lot of people. He wanted to commit suicide, not murder.

I don't want my family flying on a plane with a pilot who has suicidal tendancies either. That's why I want anyone with those tendancies to BE TREATED!! Your solution is to say it's OK for them to fly your family if merely HIDE that tendancy.

How many pre-diabetic (or even full-blown Type 2) airline pilots are out there now, refusing proper medical treatment because they don't want to lose their medical?

T-Bags,
I see your point too, but it's not an easy issue. The treatments aren't always effective and a patient can mask the symptoms. There are numerous reasons for them to do so too. Maybe a program like the one for alcohol abuse can be a solution, (with constraints). The image that sticks in my mind is the one of my step-son having a meltdown although he's on meds. It's just not predictable and meds and treatment don't ensure anything.

Your solution is to say it's OK for them to fly your family if merely HIDE that tendancy.

You are missing the point. Someone with depression that serious shouldn't be operating an aircraft at all. Period. Dot.

The fact that someone refuses treatment for that condition because they will not be able to perform their job anymore is also a serious problem. It's extremely self-centered to put lives in danger because you have a problem and don't want to find another job/career. There are plenty of, science forbid I say it, management positions in many other industries that would be happy to have someone with the leadership qualities and experience of an airline captain leading and managing people/projects. What do I know, I'm just some office d-o-u-c-h-e (they sensor d-o-u-c-h-e?) who flies for fun.

Man i can't believe he didn't go to NJ. That's where airline pilots go to die.

If someone is suffering from serious depression they should not be flying. PERIOD. DOT. END OF DISCUSSION. Meds or no meds.

If someone does continue to fly, they are a selfish and stupid dolt that purposely endangers others.

"Fair" has NOTHING to do with it. ONLY medically qualified to fly . . . and that means not only your Class I/II, but also your "self-certification" everyday.

This isn't saying hello to customer coming in the door to Walmart. This is guiding aluminum tubes through the air at 600 mph.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but if you can't hack it, get out.

Tragic situation no dobut - RIP. However, he knew his retirement was approaching since he began. Plenty of age 60 pilots find great employment opportunities with fractional and Part 135/91 operations every year - his flying career did not have to "end." It is completely ridiculous to blame (or at least insuate) his suicide on the age 60 rule - GIVE ME A FRICKEN BREAK.

Clearly he was unstable and there were probably other external factors that contributed to this unfortunate passing... Using Age 60 in this context is only telling part of the story. Great reporting again (I am sure ALPA helped edit this article).

Reading this pisses me off! I lost my dad to cancer almost a year ago and man what I wouldn't do to have him back! I can't imagine how self centered someone must be to forsake there family and the gift of life. I feel for this mans family and the grief he has selfishly caused them, but don't make this about age 60 or flying for that matter.

I agree. At least they had him till 60. My dad killed himself when I was 7. I'd love to have him back to ask him "What the f***?" I can't imagine things ever getting so bad that you would take your own life.

This isn't a rant against anyone's friend who'd been depressed. It is just a reminder that pilots are not "everyone else", and we have a unique job that requires a certain amount of mental fortitude and ability to adapt to stress. While I hurt for the guy losing a medical, can you at least accept the rationale behind the requirement for fit mental health is pretty important?

I agree Albie. While I understand that people may not go seek medical help due to the risk of losing your medical, I don't think pilots on Prozac is the answer.

Latest resources

Back