• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 - Suicide of UAL Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
and for you morons thinking it's selfish what he did, it's not for you to decided.

Why don't you come down to the pilot lounge in Louisville at 3am and tell me to my face that my father who committed suicide on my birthday when I was 7 wasn't selfish?

I don't think many people here understand how serious depression can be. Clinical depression doesn't mean you wake up bummed out a lot or you're pissed off that you have to retire at 60. Clinical depression is serious sh#t that if not treated often leads to suicide or at best terribly dificult lives. It's easy to say the guy was selfish or egocentric or whatever but I sure hope you don't have to ever witness a close friend or family member deal with this because it's a serious disease. Always easier to cast stones than to catch them.

Well said!

Why don't you come down to the pilot lounge in Louisville at 3am and tell me to my face that my father who committed suicide on my birthday when I was 7 wasn't selfish?

While I am very sorry for your loss, this is quite a revelation. You finally make sense.

This just highlights the fact that we all have to take good care of each other in this job. If you see a crewmember that needs help, try to approach them in some way and get them to seek it. We've all been through hell over the last five years and it has taken its toll. Most of us have adapted, but some are still having trouble coping with the new reality of the airline world. When I was furloughed, it was a good wakeup call for me that there are more important things in life, and I could be happy and fulfilled even if I wasn't an "airline pilot". Some of my other friends had a more difficult time coming to that conclusion.

Like cops, firefighters, soldiers, we are expected to deal with a ton of stress yet still perform flawlessly on the job. Thats a pretty tall order.

My condolences for your loss.

God bless the captain. Prayers for his family and loved ones.

Megadeath- sorry for your loss as well. It might never make sense, but i pray you find peace with it. Each suicide is as complicated as each life. Some are dumb acts of self-pity- I'd say most others- especially if they are grown adults- are medically very ill people who in my opinion succumbed to one of the most painful diseases we can have. Until you experience it- and i'd think you'd have to see it as an adult yourself capt- you don't know what real medical depression is. The sh*t flowing around in their brain is not the same as you and I. I'm thankful every day for my health and sanity.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back