• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 - Suicide of UAL Captain

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If a guy is depressed and suicidal, why is giving him meds and letting him risk hundreds of other lives the right thing to do?

I think the FAA has EVERY reason to ground you if you are seeking psychiatric help. Its not about punishing the pilot, its about protecting everyone else.

Do you want a guy flying an ILS to mins who's considering suicide? Do you want to be around when that kind of guy gets a bad call from home/scheduling/an ex-spouse?

I'm very sorry this guy offed himself. I don't think him doing that makes a case for either A) softening medical requirements or B) changing age 60. (I mean, c'mon...if he's gonna kill himself who gives a $hit if its at 60 or 65? Its stupid!)

There are resouces without medical help for stress. HIMS programs, counselors, clergy, etc. However, if you a prozac popper or livin' on paxil, I don't think you belong in the position where you are responsible for so many lives without redundant backup. You say "we have a crew...", but the captain is still the boss and who's to say your F/O isn't equally depressed.

There is a reason for medical standards. Stay healthy. Stay sane. But don't ask me for a lot of pity if you go off and shoot yourself.

Well Dr Albie, I'm glad we now have your take...

What you fail to acknowledge is that they DO seek help. Problem is they seek it from a bottle of JD. Personally, I'd rather have a pilot thats been treated by a PROFESSIONAL flying that ILS than an F'n DRUNK dealing with the DT's. Personally, I'd MUCH rather have a pilot who is treated and evaluated as safe by a competent DOCTOR flying my ILS than some guy hiding his depression.

Your mind is a chemical computer. Some times the chems are off. If someone can get their mind "fixed" with chems, then please explained what the problem is?

Do you have a problem with someone who has to take meds for high cholesterol? High BP? How about someone who has to take an aspirin to fix the occasional headache? Do you have a problem with someone who finds that running fixes their moods?

You are not a medical professional. Now go jump up and down on Oprah's couch Tommy.:rolleyes:

I think the analogy you wanted was Tom Cruise lecturing Matt Lauer...

Now--I guess I am just an insenstiive idiot, but I really don't really care HOW you treat the disease if you are suicidal or have a demonstrated problem with those trends you don't need to be flying for an airline. Its not about "fair", its about protecting mom and the kids and the general public.

I've seen a pilot at FDX who lost a medical for some issues like this many years ago. I know of an F-15 driver who also is now grounded. I've also seen several pilots grounded for chronic alcoholism and related issues. I don't relish that at all, and I am genuinely sad for these guys. However, that doesn't change the fact that while all great guys, they probably don't belong out there with lives in the balance.

Think about what you are asking the docs to do. If a guy says "hey...last week I wanted to kill myself...but now I feel fine..." how in the heck is the doc supposed to know when he's cured? Its one thing when the guy leaves the office and kills himself (or God forbid his family), but at what point do we put 100, 200, or more souls on board at risk for the "right" of this guy who we think is "better". It ain't a perfect science, and you can bet the medical guys are spring-loaded to just say "no".

In the AF, although I never did it, there was a program called PRP, or Personnel Reliability Program (I think that's right...). Basically--these were the guys who touched, handled, or dealt with nukes in any form. If you acted squirrelly, had a bad day, a problem at home--and it was a concern--you were reassigned either temporarily or permananently. I don't know what the mechanism was to get your status "back", but because of the gravity of the situation, leaders were very conservative in making those calls. Flying a 747 with a planeload of folks may not be a nuke, but as 9/11 demonstrated an airliner with a madman at the helm can be a weapon of mass destruction.

This isn't a rant against anyone's friend who'd been depressed. It is just a reminder that pilots are not "everyone else", and we have a unique job that requires a certain amount of mental fortitude and ability to adapt to stress. While I hurt for the guy losing a medical, can you at least accept the rationale behind the requirement for fit mental health is pretty important?

Last edited:
Albie,
After reading your post i noted "Duck killer" and "psycho" were also
viewing....what was that you said about mental health?

This guy had absolutely no business in a cockpit. PERIOD.

I agree with Albie 100%

You do not want anyone you know on board an aircraft with someone so "on the edge" that he'll end it if he doesn't get an extension to fly to 65.

Any questions?

This is very sad.

Wouldn't it be correct to say this had more to do with retirement dollars than retirement age? I could be wrong, but I don't think this would have occurred if the guy had a pension.

My condolences to his family.

This guy had absolutely no business in a cockpit. PERIOD.

Agreed. Also agree with Albie. Anyone that thinks flying a hunk of tin through the air is more important than his family or life itself has got some serious issues and clinical depression is just the tip of the iceburg. I am sorry for this family's loss, but reading this article was not very comforting to me or my flying family.

I also agree with current FAA policies concerning this. Someone posted that these policies result in pilots seeking help from a bottle of JD (or some other form of self medication) instead of seeking professional medical help. This may be true and it may help him through his hard times, but I still don't want this guy wiggling the stick later on down the road when he is "better". A huge part of being a professional pilot is having good judgment and maintaining a high level of personal accountability. When you decide to hit the bottle to help you through some hard times you've executed some pretty poor judgment. This is also an act of selfishness to the highest degree. You are doing what is best for you instead of what's good for the 200+ passengers behind the cockpit door. What you should have done is hang it up, get the treatment you need and find another career. I know my family and I will thank you for it.

Last edited:
Define yourself by the important things, not this stupid job.

That's why I just retired at 50 from AA. I'm really over it.

It's so sad about the guy above; flying was his whole life? Gees!

Reminds me of a Captain I flew with in the mid nineties. Nicest guy you'd ever fly with. He was turning 60. I asked: "What you going to do in retirement?" Believe it or not he said: "Oh, I don't know"! Any hobbies? "Oh, not really". He ended up as a ROPE (real old prof. engineer). When he did retire shortly thereafter he died of cancer within 6 months. How sad.

Well Dr Albie, I'm glad we now have your take...

Do you have a problem with someone who has to take meds for high cholesterol? High BP? How about someone who has to take an aspirin to fix the occasional headache? Do you have a problem with someone who finds that running fixes their moods?

I do if they have intentions of killing themselves. Personally, I wouldn't want my family flying on a plane if I knew that one of the pilots has suicidal tendencies. Although I'm sympathetic to people with these problems, they aren't always in a state to make rational decisions. I know because my step-son suffers from these problems.
How would you feel if you knew that one of your pilots is having a particularly bad day and is going to fly in about an hour? Would you or your family get on the plane? Heck, I've flown with people going through nasty divorces who had to be taken off the line. It's nothing personal, but if you're not in the state of mind to act like a professional, you don't belong up there. Jmho.

Latest resources

Back