Age 60 rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
N1kawotg said:
it'll change sometime because it is age discrimination either side you are on. Oppose it or change it be let them finally make a desicion and be done debating this to death. There are 59 and 364 day olds that shouldn't fly just as there are 30 years olds and they can't fly either.

No matter what age you put it at it would still be age discrimination. Any age is somewhat arbitrary. Besides these people benifited from the rule now they want it changed. Would you like to have some cake with that cake you are eating.

Lil Jon said:
67??!! holy crap! keep movin 'em out at 60. would companies still offer the same retirement packages at 60 and let people fly longer if they want to or what? oh well its almost 40 more years for me :)

WHAT retirement package ??!!??:D

PHXFLYR:cool:

WHAT retirement package ??!!??:D

Exactlly why the rule will change. Pension that were counted on to get you thru the golden years are being wacked because of mismanagement, instead of fixing the problems they took from employers. I'm not saying congress is smart but I think they can figure this one out. Give everyone more earning years to make back the money that was stolen from them by their not so smart CEO's. This will dispute the 5 wives, kids in college, should have planned on this, and they knew the rules when they starting in this industry so tough. This has always been debated, we know this has always been debated, so why so surprised. As slow as gov't, it might pass now after 30 years or more of debate--there is now just more pilots debating for it. In the words of Forrest Gump- That's all I get to say about that.

Tim47SIP said:
Slow, yes, dug, don't know!

"Slow" implies movement. There has been no movement. The FAA's position is that any change would have to be shown to be nuetral, or an improvement, on safety.

Any truth to the rumor that guys of furlough, probation or military recall can't vote in the survey. Doesn't ALPA represent them too?

LJ-ABX said:
But the currently proposed legislation is not for 63 or 65. It's for 67!

To be more precise, it is to change it to the social security retirement age which is rising from 65 to 67 over a period of time.

"Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Administrator may not, solely by reason of a person's age, if such person has not attained the person's social security retirement age as defined in section 216(l) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 416(l))--"

If you look up that section it will show that the 67 limit won't be in effect until 2027.

FNG_that's me said:
Any truth to the rumor that guys of furlough, probation or military recall can't vote in the survey. Doesn't ALPA represent them too?

All those you mention have never had a vote with ALPA. Hell, there was a time co-pilots only had a 1/2 vote each.:)

Sounds just like the rationalization ALPA has spouted out to suppress the VIEWS of the furloughed and apprentice members. OUR MEC has come out against this rationalization and obvious attempt to skew the numbers in favor of a rule change and I applaud OUR MEC for doing so. OUR MEC sent the national chair a letter requesting that apprentice and furloughed members be allowed to participate in the SURVEY. Kudos to our MEC.

If ALPA wants to know how the membership would VOTE on the issue then they should simply have a VOTE. End of story.

Instead, they are holding a sort of practice bid with only the folks who they feel will support a change in a disingenuous effort to skew the data in the direction the senior clanks in the national office want it to go.

How on earth do you justify having Canadian Pilots express thier OPINION on a US law and not allow those most impacted by the law, the furloughees and junior apprentice members, to give their OPINION on the law?

You do that because you don't want or care what the junior guys think, and are afraid it will drive the numbers in the opposite direction of where they want them.

Very, very sad in my opinion. Just drives a bigger wedge between the junior and senior members of ALPA and alienates a large portion of the future membership from the current. More of the pull up the ladder I've got mine.

ALPA national might as well just decide to endorse their position on the law change without surveying the membership and drop the facade of REPRESENTING everybody, just like they do when the endorse a political candidate. It would be more honorable than screwing those who are waiting to become legitimate in ALPA National's eyes.

FJ

just sent my email.....proposing a ATC style retirement age (56) and pension! government funded!

anyone wish they woulda become a controller at the tender age of 23...making good bank IMMEDIATELY after graduating from OK city?

MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Latest resources

Back