Age 60 rule

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
airbaker said:
If the rule gets changed, be prepared for much more intrusive and demanding physicals. It may prevent many to even make it to age 60. JMHO

I don't know. My Grandmother was able to renew her driver's license by MAIL when she was pushing 80. Maybe ALPA will hook everyone up!

Why would anyone want to work past 60? C'mon people! Don't you want to enjoy some years off work before you kick the bucket? I would.

capt. megadeth said:
Why would anyone want to work past 60? C'mon people! Don't you want to enjoy some years off work before you kick the bucket? I would.

These days there are plenty that have to work past 60, and most would just like to do it because they enjoy what they do. Your just far too young to understand so I'll just leave it at that.:)

yes, ALPA is excluding furloughed pilots from this survey. They have recently stated that they are now conducting an identical survey for the military leave members and the apprentice members. This is because many pilots indicated to ALPA that they are intentionally skewing the results. They won't let the furloughed guys participate because it is obvious that they would register answers against the age 60 change. make no mistake, ALPA wants this changed. why are we even discussing it after so many years against this change. It's about money, plain and simple.

By the way, this is a survey.........not a vote. Everyone, including furloughees should get a say in this issue which ALPA is going to offer a position on.

Andy Neill said:
To be more precise, it is to change it to the social security retirement age which is rising from 65 to 67 over a period of time.

Anyone currently working as an airline pilot in the US was born in 1945 or later. The SS retirement age for those born in 1945 is 66. That retirement age applies to anyone who will be 51, or older, by the end of 2005. Nobody currently flying for US airlines would be forced to retire before age 66 if the currently proposed legislation becomes law.

Those who will be at least 45 by the end of this year have a SS retirement age of 67.

Those who fall inbetween, 46 - 52 by year's end, will have a SS retirement age of 66 years plus some number months. You can see the specific age on the chart on the following page: http://www.ssa.gov/retirechartred.htm

There is also separate legislation being proposed in Congress which would raise the SS retirement age even further, to age 68.

Andy Neill said:
To be more precise, it is to change it to the social security retirement age which is rising from 65 to 67 over a period of time.

"Notwithstanding any other provision of law, the Administrator may not, solely by reason of a person's age, if such person has not attained the person's social security retirement age as defined in section 216(l) of the Social Security Act (42 U.S.C. 416(l))--"

If you look up that section it will show that the 67 limit won't be in effect until 2027.

Section 416(l) refers to EARLY retirement age which is 62 regardless of when you were born. That doesn't change what we are both saying (the 67 limit won't be in effect until those born in 1960 and later reach 67) but just a point of accuracy.

LJ-ABX said:
Those who will be at least 45 by the end of this year have a SS retirement age of 67.

I think you meant "Those who will be no MORE than 45 by the end of this year have a SS retirement age of 67." In other words, those born in 1960 or later.

Choice is a wonderful thing. I would like being able to choose to retire at 60 (or 58 for that matter) or to retire at 66 or any other age in between. I would like to be able to choose to put all my retirement eggs into SS or to have a Personal Retirement Account. Free agency is one of the most precious things we have if used wisely. This legislation gives us more opportunities to exercise our reasoning powers and to act on them.

FoxHunter said:
These days there are plenty that have to work past 60, and most would just like to do it because they enjoy what they do. Your just far too young to understand so I'll just leave it at that.:)

Hey Holmes....
I may be young but I have been working 2 jobs for the past 7 years. I love flying, but I don't think I will be wanting to work until the day before I die. I also don't think we should be changing the age 60 rule because some people "enjoy working". :)

capt. megadeth said:
Hey Holmes....
I may be young but I have been working 2 jobs for the past 7 years. I love flying, but I don't think I will be wanting to work until the day before I die. I also don't think we should be changing the age 60 rule because some people "enjoy working". :)

But it really does not matter what you think, the rule will change. BTW, you have to get the job first in order to get the chance to work until the day before you die.:)

Latest resources

Back