• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Forcing qualified and capable pilots out at 60 simply has no merit. Getting hired, upgrading and if/how long you are furloughed should not drive this issue whatsoever. Advancement at an air carrier is not an entitlement. The majority of upgrades and hiring at any major carrier is a product of growth, not attrition.

BTW, one should not be allowed to fly simply as long as their medical is current. Pilots, check airmen, and management must step up to the plate and deal with those, of any age, who cannot meet the standard of proficiency.
Oh, but just in as in Monopoly, you have to play by this "game" by the "rules" which were defined in the 1950s. LOL. I also see your attitude will keep Flopgut from being able to put shoes on his kids feet. LOL.....

P.S. I loathe being called a hypocrite by somebody who can't spell hypocrite (or loathe, or independently, or too, or get, or obstacle, or those, or comfortable) correctly. That is ironic at the deepest levels.

I usta couldn't spll aviator, now I are one.

Fly safe!

Forcing qualified and capable pilots out at 60 simply has no merit. Getting hired, upgrading and if/how long you are furloughed should not drive this issue whatsoever. Advancement at an air carrier is not an entitlement. The majority of upgrades and hiring at any major carrier is a product of growth, not attrition.

BTW, one should not be allowed to fly simply as long as their medical is current. Pilots, check airmen, and management must step up to the plate and deal with those, of any age, who cannot meet the standard of proficiency.

Until a pilot hired after you, can earn a position senior to you, entitlement exists. I don't care how organic, exciting, and different it might feel at SWA, you've benefitted from seniority progression.

At a certain date, one is forced out (60). How is that worse than using another certain date (DOH), to exclude others from any amount of advancement?

A casual observer couldn't understand why age 60 OR DOH matters, simply, who's better for the job? So why just change one? If you're going to make determinations beyond 3rd party medical certification about who stays, you ought to be ready to do the same for who moves up! Right?

That all sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it? I'd rather stick with seniority, I just don't want to give it away! Your seniority means something, mine does too, and so does the pilot hired after us! It IS entitlement and IT should be protected for ALL of us!

Last edited:
Oh, but just in as in Monopoly, you have to play by this "game" by the "rules" which were defined in the 1950s. LOL. I also see your attitude will keep Flopgut from being able to put shoes on his kids feet. LOL.....

This isn't a game of monopoly. The rules have and will continue to change. Part 61, 91 and 121, etc. We can discuss several changes in FARS over the past couple of decades that impact our carreers.

I do not believe it is attitude, but principle. I do not believe that one should be fired because of a birthday so that another can advance. Again, most advancement is due to growth, not attrition. Perhaps the unions should go for guaranteed upgrade at a certain point in time.

Until a pilot hired after you, can earn a position senior to you, entitlement exists. I don't care how organic, exciting, and different it might feel at SWA, you've benefitted from seniority progression.

At a certain date, one is forced out (60). How is that worse than using another certain date (DOH), to exclude others from any amount of advancement?

A casual observer couldn't understand why age 60 OR DOH matters, simply, who's better for the job? So why just change one? If you're going to make determinations beyond 3rd party medical certification about who stays, you ought to be ready to do the same for who moves up! Right?

That all sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it? I'd rather stick with seniority, I just don't want to give it away! Your seniority means something, mine does too, and so does the pilot hired after us! It IS entitlement and IT should be protected for ALL of us!

I am no fan of seniority based advancement either. If one is entitled to advance by a certain date, that is something to be addressed via CBAs, not FARs.

Any reason why ICAO won't allow two over age 60 pilots to fly together, alone? Could there be a reason? Sure. They know it could be dangerous. Why would they restrict it otherwise? The main reason for the ICAO change is the LCC explosion in Europe. There aren't enough pilots, and with Ryanair and Easyjet expading, along with other LCCs like Wizair, Vueling, Windjet, Air Berlin, etc---there simply aren't enough pilots. That is the real reason, and it is dangerous and even ICAO knows it, not allowing 2 over age 60 pilots to fly together. We do not have that same problem in the US---with the countless furloughed pilots out there (from TWA, USAir, United, Indy, etc) ready to still go to work. Not the same problem.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Any reason why ICAO won't allow two over age 60 pilots to fly together, alone? Could there be a reason? Sure. They know it could be dangerous. Why would they restrict it otherwise? The main reason for the ICAO change is the LCC explosion in Europe. There aren't enough pilots, and with Ryanair and Easyjet expading, along with other LCCs like Wizair, Vueling, Windjet, Air Berlin, etc---there simply aren't enough pilots. That is the real reason, and it is dangerous and even ICAO knows it, not allowing 2 over age 60 pilots to fly together. We do not have that same problem in the US---with the countless furloughed pilots out there (from TWA, USAir, United, Indy, etc) ready to still go to work. Not the same problem.

Bye Bye--General Lee
No, however, it will still pass. Despite all of the Mesa, Comair, CHQ, and ASA pilots who will soon be working with you on San Juan turns.

Bye Bye--General Lee

No General, ICAO is not Europe. The JAA (Europe) changed to age 65 years ago. Yes, the JAA decided that one pilot under the age of 60 would be required in the cockpit. Yes, this is Europe where the normal retirement age for pilots, and clerks, and Postman, and teachers, and Doctors, and Bus drivers, and any other working person has been age 55.:beer: That was one large leap for the JAA. Yes the JAA requires 14 written exams vs the FAA 1 for the ATP, but they still managed to say age 65 was OK for two pilot aircraft. Let us not get into a discussion about flight and duty time limitations JAA vs FAA. The fact is that the JAA is far more conservative about everything vs the FAA except the age 60 rule. Why could that be General? Yes the FAA says that I can show up for a flight at 1:00 am, fly 10 legs, stay on duty for 16 hours and I'm safe!!! I can do the same thing with my G550 for 24+ hours duty FAR91 and all is OK, or I can do it at age 87 in my Cessna Citation, single pilot with a plane full of passengers working fo the owner XYZ Corp. Yes General, the public should have full faith in the FAA to ensure their safety.:rolleyes:

No General, ICAO is not Europe. The JAA (Europe) changed to age 65 years ago. Yes, the JAA decided that one pilot under the age of 60 would be required in the cockpit. Yes, this is Europe where the normal retirement age for pilots, and clerks, and Postman, and teachers, and Doctors, and Bus drivers, and any other working person has been age 55.:beer: That was one large leap for the JAA. Yes the JAA requires 14 written exams vs the FAA 1 for the ATP, but they still managed to say age 65 was OK for two pilot aircraft. Let us not get into a discussion about flight and duty time limitations JAA vs FAA. The fact is that the JAA is far more conservative about everything vs the FAA except the age 60 rule. Why could that be General? Yes the FAA says that I can show up for a flight at 1:00 am, fly 10 legs, stay on duty for 16 hours and I'm safe!!! I can do the same thing with my G550 for 24+ hours duty FAR91 and all is OK, or I can do it at age 87 in my Cessna Citation, single pilot with a plane full of passengers working fo the owner XYZ Corp. Yes General, the public should have full faith in the FAA to ensure their safety.:rolleyes:

Lee, he's got a good point. Care to retort?

I know that, ICAO also includes Canada and some other countries outside Europe. Great. You still haven't answered the question---Why would ICAO restrict the number of age 60 or over pilots in a 2 man cockpit? Why? They know and we all know the reason, they don't want two old farts falling asleep at the same time and the plane running out of gas 400 miles past their intended destination. No joke. Give me a reason for that please. Why would the JAA or ICAO (they have the rule also) do that? And, please tell me the real reason for the change in age. Could it be the lack of pilots in Europe due to rapid expansion of LCCs? I think I am right.... I know I am. Please rebutt those facts. Sure, you can fly a citation until you are 99. That is great. Did you read about the 90 year old who killed 10 people and injured 20 with his car in Santa Monica? He did that on his own. Could he get a commercial bus driving license at that age too? No, probably not. There are a lot of rules that really need to be examined for SAFETY reasons. There may be some very fit 60 year olds out there, but the VAST majority need to retire, maybe before 60.

People like to say things have changed due to the lack of pensions. Well, when Mars attacks or the stock market crashes, at that point, we should probably go to 68 years old.....and then maybe 70..... Sorry, everyone needs to invest early on and try to stay with one wife. In the hills of Kentucky you can also marry your sister. Well, if they do it, everyone should be able to, right?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back