• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
1. By definition, there is no B scale at UAL.

2. Most (more than 50%) of the LCO pilots at UAL could bid off the LCO if they so choose.

3. Very few LCO pilots are currently affected by a freeze.

While you're at Chuck's having Mai Tais, ask your co-pilot a few questions.

1. How old is he?

2. How many years seniority does he have at UAL?

3. Can he hold LCO captain?

4. Why doesn't he bid it?

If he answers the way most UA guys would - it's a B-scale. If it weren't a B-scale then the money would logically have narrowbody captain be senior to WB FO. That ain't the case though.

PIPE

Pipe: This thread is about age 60 not B scale. If you want to discuss B scale start a new thread please.

But as a one time final answer to your post, there is no B scale at UAL. Just because there are some pilots in lower and higher paying equipment does not make it a B scale by definition. Almost all carriers have that situation. A B-scale is when new-hires are forever paid a different rate scale for the same job and never catch up. The LCC operation is just the lower end of the pay scale and as I have said before, most of those pilots, and all of the captains are there by choice. Except those on a freeze that they volunteered for, they could all bid to the mid and wide body fleet. Call this what you wish, but this is not a B-scale. It is an LCC scale.

Pipe: This thread is about age 60 not B scale. If you want to discuss B scale start a new thread please.

But as a one time final answer to your post, there is no B scale at UAL. Just because there are some pilots in lower and higher paying equipment does not make it a B scale by definition. Almost all carriers have that situation. A B-scale is when new-hires are forever paid a different rate scale for the same job and never catch up. The LCC operation is just the lower end of the pay scale and as I have said before, most of those pilots, and all of the captains are there by choice. Except those on a freeze that they volunteered for, they could all bid to the mid and wide body fleet. Call this what you wish, but this is not a B-scale. It is an LCC scale.

No, you call it what you wish - it is a B-scale. You have been sold a bill of goods by management. Because it does not effect you, you choose not to acknowledge it.

Once again you failed to answer the direct questions that I asked you on the subject. I suspect this is because the answers do not suit your positions.

BTW, I did not bring up B-scales in the age 60 thread - you did.

PIPE

You've "outted" me. I hate flying. End of thread.

If you hate flying, perhaps you should quit flying NOW and seek a career that is more favorable to long term financial rewards.

Planning for an early comforatable retirement in this industry is only a pipe dream as the future economic facts are all to gloomy except for thoes who are indepently wealthy.

The love of flying is the only reason one should continue in an airline career. A pilot's career must not be cut short by thoes who hate flying. Thoes who view senior pilots as an obsticle to their own selfish needs are dwelling in the wrong profession.

I love flying, I love my current job and I want to continue to to fly in my current job for as long as I can pass the class I medical. If you hate flying, geat out of my profession NOW!
I loath being in the company of selfish hypocrits.

If you hate flying, perhaps you should quit flying NOW and seek a career that is more favorable to long term financial rewards.

Planning for an early comforatable retirement in this industry is only a pipe dream as the future economic facts are all to gloomy except for thoes who are indepently wealthy.

The love of flying is the only reason one should continue in an airline career. A pilot's career must not be cut short by thoes who hate flying. Thoes who view senior pilots as an obsticle to their own selfish needs are dwelling in the wrong profession.

I love flying, I love my current job and I want to continue to to fly in my current job for as long as I can pass the class I medical. If you hate flying, geat out of my profession NOW!

Apparently sarcasm is completely lost on you - or maybe it is an age-induced loss of situational awareness. In either case, I love to fly. That I hate it was intended as sarcasm. It was in response to Undaunted making an assertion that he had some idea whether or not I like to fly. I think I'll just continue "dwelling?" in this profession.

PIPE

P.S. I loathe being called a hypocrite by somebody who can't spell hypocrite (or loathe, or independently, or too, or get, or obstacle, or those, or comfortable) correctly. That is ironic at the deepest levels.

Last edited:
Oh my Gad the spleeling police are back!!

Klako: That is your worst, most ignorant sounding, post yet. We are skilled labor, we get paid to do a job. I have a mortgage and I have a family. Attitudes like yours take food off my table and shoes off my kids feet. You love flying so much? Get another job! Some part of this business has to pay good money. Your attitude isn't going to improve this profession at all!

I don't just love to fly, it's my life. I'm dedicated to it. We're all dedicated to it and it's a wicked, fickle master. Very often those forced out didn't see it coming and did not deserve getting chucked out. YOU can't even get your mind wrapped around a normal retirement! YOU have not lost a pension or been furloughed, yet you're the most needy? "My profession"? It's all yours now, huh? The profession is only worth preserving if you're in it?

Greed ruins. You're greedy. We need pilots who are willing to push for improvements for all.

Just wondering:

He'll be ok. He plans on joining the FA's and me for MiaTia's at Chuck's.

Pipe: Your invited anytime too, and its a special invite for my 60th in HNL. I'll be flying back. The jumpseat is open both ways.

Do you sip your drinks from the shrunken, hollowed out head of a furloughed pilot?

I'd figure pilots would be standing in line to ride your jumpseat on such a special flight? HNL is pretty nice, you would think someone would go with. Tell you what, if nobody shows, I'll go! I get $165/hr, plus per diem (cash only)

Forcing qualified and capable pilots out at 60 simply has no merit. Getting hired, upgrading and if/how long you are furloughed should not drive this issue whatsoever. Advancement at an air carrier is not an entitlement. The majority of upgrades and hiring at any major carrier is a product of growth, not attrition.

BTW, one should not be allowed to fly simply as long as their medical is current. Pilots, check airmen, and management must step up to the plate and deal with those, of any age, who cannot meet the standard of proficiency.

Latest resources

Back