• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Exxon has airline standards for a good reason

Exxon Corporation knows its executives deserve the best standard operating procedures known and uses those standards to keep its employees safe.

An ISO 9001-14001 corporation using the best worldwide standards available is a model to be recognized and considered as the best.

I know all you broke 55+ airline pilots will disagree, but then if you had sound judgement you would have saved your money and made smart decisions that would have allowed you to get out of the game when you wanted verse keeping a death grip till the last day.

And just remember, if you'all are successful in extending this deal I hope you can pass the new medical because the standards will increase for all.

A corporate pilot for ExxonMobil has filed an age-discrimination suit via the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission saying the company forces its pilots to quit flying at 60. The EEOC is seeking a permanent injunction against the company’s mandatory pilot-retirement policy.

Exxon Corporation knows its executives deserve the best standard operating procedures known and uses those standards to keep its employees safe.

An ISO 9001-14001 corporation using the best worldwide standards available is a model to be recognized and considered as the best.

I know all you broke 55+ airline pilots will disagree, but then if you had sound judgement you would have saved your money and made smart decisions that would have allowed you to get out of the game when you wanted verse keeping a death grip till the last day.

And just remember, if you'all are successful in extending this deal I hope you can pass the new medical because the standards will increase for all.

A corporate pilot for ExxonMobil has filed an age-discrimination suit via the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission saying the company forces its pilots to quit flying at 60. The EEOC is seeking a permanent injunction against the company’s mandatory pilot-retirement policy.

The new FAS has said that there will be no change in medical standards if the age rule changes.

The ExxonMobile pilot will win change or no change for FAR121.

OK, Mr. Smarty Pants, I'm assuming you have always made smart decisions and things have always gone your way, mo matter what.
BIG assumptions, my friend!
Who said that ALL 55+ pilots do not and have not lived within their means??
How can you second guess what this "wonderful" industry will do next?
Are you really telling me that we should have ALL gazed into the cyrstal ball and said, yep, this is the airline for me, financially sound, I can hang up my hat here until retirement, no problem? Well, are you?
It matters NOT how diligent a person may have been 10, 20 or even more years ago, even the "best" airlines have folded, gotten into bankruptcy, you name it.
With a moniker like yours, I'm surprised you're coming out with this kind of statement.
I'm not saying all pilots have been astute with their financials, but as we all know - or should - airlines are not exactly a secure, comfortable career anymore. It is nigh on impossible to predict or plan for the future. As you name suggests, most are just lucky to HAVE a flying job - forget the pension, raises and promotions. That's yester-year.
As always, this comes down to basic freedom of choices. If you want to get out at a certain age, then by all means do so but to prevent others from doing so, based on your reasoning and assumptions is clearly wrong!
Who said the medical standards are going to be raised?

Washington Headquarters Press Release

For Immediate Release

Release No. AOC 29-06
September 27, 2006
Phone: (202) 267-3883
New FAA Forum to Review Age 60 Rule For Pilots

WASHINGTON, DC — Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) Administrator Marion C. Blakey today established a forum of airline, labor and medical experts to recommend whether the United States should adopt the new International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) standard that will allow one of the two pilots in the flight deck to be over age 60. The forum also will determine what actions would be necessary if the FAA were to change its rule.
“The FAA must ensure that any future rule change, should it occur, provides an equal or better level of safety to passengers,” said Blakey. “I’m looking forward to hearing from the experts so the FAA can make informed decisions as the ICAO standard is implemented and Congress considers this issue.”
Since 1959, the FAA has required that all U.S. pilots stop flying commercial airplanes at age 60. In November, ICAO, the United Nations’ aviation organization, will increase the upper age limit for pilots to age 65, provided that one of the two pilots in the cockpit is under age 60.
The Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee has been tasked to complete its work within 60 days. Committee members will represent airlines, pilot unions, medical experts, and the FAA.

Yay! A new cut and paste from UnDonTed!

No action this year?

The Age 60 Aviation Rulemaking Committee has been tasked to complete its work within 60 days. Committee members will represent airlines, pilot unions, medical experts, and the FAA.

Then the FAA mulls over the report, issues the NPRM for public comment if needed, etc. This gives Congress a perfect excuse, if they want one, to duck the issue until next year, and perhaps indefinitely.

Then the FAA mulls over the report, issues the NPRM for public comment if needed, etc. This gives Congress a perfect excuse, if they want one, to duck the issue until next year, and perhaps indefinitely.

Good. Hopefully they will mull it over for years, and then hopefully all of the senior guys with a lack of situational awareness (very dangerous) will have retired. That is best for all of us. Lack of situational awareness trumps 30 or more years of experience anyday.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Latest resources

Back