• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
AAflyer said:
Andy,

That was an excellent response, and comment on the situation.

Thank you,

AAflyer

Thanks, I've read quite a bit from both camps on this issue.

It never ceases to amaze me how quiet the pro-change crowd gets when I make a counterproposal to let them fly past age 60 ... with strings attached.

I have also followed it closely in the legislative process. Unless you understand politicians' hidden agendas, you will get a bad
read on the outcome of a bill. There is a big reason why there are so many cosponsors to this bill; it's so they can go back home and make a pitch to the senior crowd. But there's a big difference between cosponsorship and allowing a bill to get to the Senate floor. A lot goes on behind closed doors. And you can bet that politicians' aides let the politicians know of each side's hidden agendas.

FoxHunter said:
Good, then he will start flying with those old guys soon.:laugh:

??? I think that he's been there for quite a while. He should be close to being in the left seat (if not there already).
Or are you saying that you're in favor of having over 60 pilots go to the right seat only? I'm glad to see that you're on board with my counterproposal.

Andy said:

It never ceases to amaze me how quiet the pro-change crowd gets when I make a counterproposal to let them fly past age 60 ... with strings attached.

I have also followed it closely in the legislative process. Unless you understand politicians' hidden agendas, you will get a bad
read on the outcome of a bill. There is a big reason why there are so many cosponsors to this bill; it's so they can go back home and make a pitch to the senior crowd. But there's a big difference between cosponsorship and allowing a bill to get to the Senate floor. A lot goes on behind closed doors. And you can bet that politicians' aides let the politicians know of each side's hidden agendas.

Standby, Standby, Standby:beer:

Andy said:

It never ceases to amaze me how quiet the pro-change crowd gets when I make a counterproposal to let them fly past age 60 ... with strings attached. ]

Well Andy since you are in charge of this decision I accept your counter proposal. Could you please send a note to my company saying it's ok now?

The last thing the Chief Pilot said I needed was a note from Andy to continue my career. Good to go. Thanks.

For your information the "pro change crowd" doesn't make proposals on Flight Info. You'll get better results if you step away from the keyboard, turn towards the wall, now start proposing.

FoxHunter said:
Good, then he will start flying with those old guys soon.:laugh:

Not likely Fox! :laugh: ... BBB's big butt is firmly ensconced in the left seat. Unlike your greedy butt, mine is going to be soaking up some cancer-causing sunshine and playing with my grandkids when I turn 60! ;)

BBB

UndauntedFlyer said:
By the way Andy, you are all invited to my 60th birthday party in HNL and to ride back on the flight I'll be flying.

The argument now is that if ICAO countries can fly into the USA safely to age 65, so should Americans be able to.

My invitation to my 60th birthday party is extended to all FI members too. Please RSVP here or by PM. I love you all, notwithstandig the things that have been said.

Undaunted Flyer

ALPA has really taken a hit on age 60

How can anyone believe ALPA when this was the position of their former President:

ALPA President Henry Duffy’s made this statement in the 1990 Baker v FAA “It has never been my belief that professional expertise diminishes at age 60, on the contrary, our senior members possess a wealth of knowledge, aviation history, and insight that have been developed through their years of experience, which are irreplaceable”. He also stated during this testimony “Pilots over 55 comprise 5-6% of the total membership. The other 95% selfishly view the forced retirement of older pilots as their guaranteed path and a God given right to their promotions!”

How many times will you and Klako, et al cut and paste the same, tired k-rap? Crikey.

Andy said:
[/color]I'm willing to compromise on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone from your side willing to stake out a compromise position ... your side has been trying to make a grab for the whole enchilada with zero compromise.

I have offered this compromise before but I will post it again.

Here is one solution for all the junior pilots out there who say that extending the retirement age to 65 would be unfair to them by slowing upgrades and causing seniority stagnation. I say then make it mandatory for all pilots, regardless of age, to retire after serving no more than 20 years with a company or age 65 whichever comes first. If you hire on with a company at age 25, then you are kicked out of the cockpit when you turn age 45 or if you hire on at 45, you retire at 65. This would be equally fair for all and give everyone equal an opportunity to build their 401K to a level that they can retire on.

I would never support such a plan. However, my point is that if your reaction to such a compromise is that you see it as “SILLY or STUPID” then you have only proven to yourself and everyone else that you are part of the problem. That you would discriminate against senior pilots on the basis of age alone. In other words you are a bigot in that you cannot accept the fact that ageism and age discrimination simply must not be institutionalized by a federal law such as we now have in Section 121.383(c) of the FARs, commonly referred to as the FAA’s “Age 60 Rule”.

Many pilots have four or five different uniforms in their closet, gaining seniority only in age, and need to work beyond age 60 to enjoy a decent retirement.

Latest resources

Back