• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
No...it should be kept in place. We don't need 80 year olds flying the skies....they can work at WalMart instead.

Mrs. BBB and I are dealing with parts falling off both sets of parents (barely 70 mind you ... about the same age as your previous chief pilot!) ... it ain't pretty. We're talking hip replacements (x2) said:
It appears that you have very bad genetics BBB, maby you should retire now?

Last edited:
UndauntedFlyer said:
This law will change. If it doesn't what can we expect next year, harmony? I think not.

This, from the "Industry Leaders" who "paved the way" for us.

Is it any wonder that we (the collective pilot groups) are in the predicament that we are?

Klako said:
I started to rebut some of your assumptions you made about my personal situation but I am just not going there.

Klako, you were the one that initially posted your personal situation. And this isn't the first time that you've tried to play the sympathy card. If you don't want your personal situation analyzed, then don't talk about your personal situation; I see very little difference between your's and undauntedflyer's.

Klako said:
Let us stick to the relevant stuff.

I consider it relevant (there are integrity issues along with hidden agendas), but I'll leave your personal situation alone if you never try to play that card again.

Klako said:
It is really sad that our industry has been reduced to a dog eat dog, stab the other guy in that back before you get stabbed first jungle atmosphere. Both sides are guilty of not willing to compromise. I only wish all of us could separate the ultimate right from wrong, but that now seems to be hopelessly clouded by our own personal feelings.

I'm willing to compromise on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone from your side willing to stake out a compromise position ... your side has been trying to make a grab for the whole enchilada with zero compromise.
Here's my proposed compromise:
1) Since there has to be a pilot under the age of 60 on the flight deck (I doubt that will ever change), keep it that no one over the age of 60 can be a captain; they can only be first officers. They can keep thier company seniority, but can never be in the left seat past the age of 60.
2) The change has to be phased in. Once per quarter, the age increases by one month. I'm willing to accept a variant of this once the number of pilots on furlough at all of the majors goes below 1000. The variant I'd accept is where the age increases by one month every month until reaching 62 1/2.
3) The mandatory retirement age will be 65 to correspond with Medicare eligibility. If Medicare eligibility age changes, the maximum age can be increased.

Klako said:
My bottom line is that all of us would ultimately benefit if the age 60 rule were changed but if it is not now changed it never will.

No, not all of us would benefit. The rules change will have a downward effect on wages; that's simple economics of supply and demand. Problem is, that downward effect will be permanent; wages will remain lower due to there no longer being a need for a monetary bridge between mandatory retirement and Social Security & Medicare eligibility. This should be a rather easy concept to grasp and one that the 'raise the age, you'll get yours too' crowd completely ignores.
The reason why the rule is not currently 'hot' for change is that there is no clear and pressing problem in the minds of politicians (we know that change isn't going to happen from the FAA or Judicial system; your only hope for change is through legislation). The major backer of changing the age rule was Sen Ted Stevens (R-AK); he still wants it changed, but he's not nearly as passionate about it now that there is no pilot 'shortage' causing a high attrition rate among flying operations in Alaska. By the time it becomes an issue, Stevens will likely be retired (he's 82).
The rule will again come under attack, but it really does need to be fashioned in a manner where it is somewhat palatable in regard to safety. There also needs to be a percieved shortage of pilots; for that reason alone, I don't see this rule changing in the next four years.

If you and undauntedflyer are serious that you want the rule to change, you will have much more favorable results if you follow the suggestions above. Of course neither of you will benefit from those changes, but it's not about you, right?

§kyye Candy said:
This, from the "Industry Leaders" who "paved the way" for us.

Is it any wonder that we (the collective pilot groups) are in the predicament that we are?

You'll find that the overwhelming majority of United pilots are in favor of the age 60 rule.
A few codgers tried to bushwhack a SFO ALPA meeting by proposing that everyone retain their original seniority for a period of two years after retirement (they were anticipating the law changing in the near future). It was resoundingly defeated.

FoxHunter said:
Not if I can help it!:)

BTW I flew DC8 F/O for a Dominican company called Aerovias Quesqueyana where the DC8 Chief Pilot was age 69, and the other Captains were age 60+. All retired EAL. During the same time period almost all the Air Jamaica Captains were age 60+ retired EAL. Then in 1975 the FAA changed the rules. ICAO went to the age 60 standard in the early 70s and the FAA decided that over 60 Captains from foreign airlines could no longer fly into the USA. The oldest line pilot at Air Jamaica was former EAL pilot, age 66, when it ended.

The government may say that you can fly past 60 however your union at your company will have the right to say where you are put. To the back of the bus, just like the ropes....You can fly FO....

Then when I make captain I can have guys like Undaunted give me some more dual, and teach me how to be a real captain.....:puke:

AA

Andy said:
[/COLOR]

Klako, you were the one that initially posted your personal situation. And this isn't the first time that you've tried to play the sympathy card. If you don't want your personal situation analyzed, then don't talk about your personal situation; I see very little difference between your's and undauntedflyer's.

I consider it relevant (there are integrity issues along with hidden agendas), but I'll leave your personal situation alone if you never try to play that card again.

I'm willing to compromise on this issue, but I haven't seen anyone from your side willing to stake out a compromise position ... your side has been trying to make a grab for the whole enchilada with zero compromise.
Here's my proposed compromise:
1) Since there has to be a pilot under the age of 60 on the flight deck (I doubt that will ever change), keep it that no one over the age of 60 can be a captain; they can only be first officers. They can keep thier company seniority, but can never be in the left seat past the age of 60.
2) The change has to be phased in. Once per quarter, the age increases by one month. I'm willing to accept a variant of this once the number of pilots on furlough at all of the majors goes below 1000. The variant I'd accept is where the age increases by one month every month until reaching 62 1/2.
3) The mandatory retirement age will be 65 to correspond with Medicare eligibility. If Medicare eligibility age changes, the maximum age can be increased.

No, not all of us would benefit. The rules change will have a downward effect on wages; that's simple economics of supply and demand. Problem is, that downward effect will be permanent; wages will remain lower due to there no longer being a need for a monetary bridge between mandatory retirement and Social Security & Medicare eligibility. This should be a rather easy concept to grasp and one that the 'raise the age, you'll get yours too' crowd completely ignores.
The reason why the rule is not currently 'hot' for change is that there is no clear and pressing problem in the minds of politicians (we know that change isn't going to happen from the FAA or Judicial system; your only hope for change is through legislation). The major backer of changing the age rule was Sen Ted Stevens (R-AK); he still wants it changed, but he's not nearly as passionate about it now that there is no pilot 'shortage' causing a high attrition rate among flying operations in Alaska. By the time it becomes an issue, Stevens will likely be retired (he's 82).
The rule will again come under attack, but it really does need to be fashioned in a manner where it is somewhat palatable in regard to safety. There also needs to be a percieved shortage of pilots; for that reason alone, I don't see this rule changing in the next four years.

If you and undauntedflyer are serious that you want the rule to change, you will have much more favorable results if you follow the suggestions above. Of course neither of you will benefit from those changes, but it's not about you, right?

Andy,

That was an excellent response, and comment on the situation.

Thank you,

AAflyer

Big Beer Belly said:
Oh, for the love of Baby Jesus! That airline sounded like a nursing home on a big tricycle!! I imagine a Cocoon movie setting with all the old geezer pilots pushing their little walkers (with the cool tennis ball anti-skid on paired legs! :D ) out to the jet for a little spin around S. America.

Mrs. BBB and I are dealing with parts falling off both sets of parents (barely 70 mind you ... about the same age as your previous chief pilot!) ... it ain't pretty. We're talking hip replacements (x2), quadruple bypass for one of 'em, multiple ER visits between the four of them in the last 2 years ... heck, I spent all Father's day last year with dear old dad guess where? ... bingo Fox ... in the EMERGENCY ROOM!

Some of you act like you're immune to the declining health (mental AND physical) aspects associated with aging. I say lay the crack pipe down Pops and realize your vertical time left on Mother Earth is precious AND limited! Go teach your grandkids to fish and let the young kid raising a family behind you have his shot in the big chair! :smash:

BBB

Actually the oldest at Air Jamaica liked to play tennis the young F/Os. I'm told he always ran them into the ground.:smash:

BTW are you the BBB starting with Cathay? You'll never last!:laugh:

Last edited:
FoxHunter said:
Actuall the oldest at Air Jamaica like play tennis the young F/Os.

???? English, please.

FoxHunter said:
BTW are you the BBB starting with Cathay? You'll never last!:laugh:

No Barney (as in purple fredex dinosaur); he's a Big Brown Boxhauler.

Latest resources

Back