• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
The exact mortality numbers are not correct but the thesis is fundamentally correct. This is why age 60 retirement is a perk. Now I know many of you will tell me post age change: "go ahead and retire at 60, it's your choice now". If seniority progression stops for five years I'll lose about 300k I was counting on. If I quit at 60, I'll never get it back. Pilots who fly another five years as captain get about 900k they previously had no claim to. That is a huge transfer of wealth. I need that 300k to do things like send kids to college, the 900k the captains take is most likely going to be a second home, boat, or whatever. Now of course some won't use the extra money for luxuries, but most likely, it'll be some version of that.

Why not let me go ahead enjoy seniority progression, get the 300k I want by putting age 60+ pilots in the right seat? They can take the 300k hit on the 900k they weren't even suppose to make. That sounds abundantly fair.

Flopgut said:
The exact mortality numbers are not correct but the thesis is fundamentally correct. This is why age 60 retirement is a perk.

My observations have been that people who retired early, before age 65, died early. Early retirement is not natural. People tend to fall apart if they stop being productive.

“Early Retirement May Mean Earlier Death”--- Primary source: British Medical Journal
Source reference:
Tsai et al, "Age at retirement and long term survival of an industrial population: prospective cohort study," BMJ, published online Oct. 20, 2005.

“…..study found that retiring at age 55 was associated with an almost two-fold greater risk of dying compared with employees who postponed retirement until their 60s…investigators found that embarking on the Golden Years at age 55 doubled the risk for death before reaching age 65, compared with those who toiled beyond age 60…”

http://www.medpagetoday.com/PrimaryCare/PreventiveCare/tb/1980

The fact is that the rising tide of retiring baby boomers will likely cause runaway inflation when there are fewer and fewer producers and more takers. The only solution is to encourage people to work longer. People today live longer and are healthier that 40 years ago.

Forced early retirement is just plain wrong and you know it.

No one is forcing you to retire and YOU know it. You just can't keep doing what you're currently doing. You have a pocket full of ratings and years of experience, use em!

Flopgut said:
What were you doing before age 42 if you don't mind me asking?

I retired in 1989 as an Army CW4 and that gives me about $2,000 per mo. I have a 401K of about $300,000, house almost paid for and no debts. This may look good to many, however, I am now helping my parents who recently moved into an assisted living care home and my daughter with college. The financial obligations only increase for most people around the age of 60.
On top of that, I love my job and the company that I now work for. I deeply resent ALPA and APA dictating to the entire U.S. airline industry when pilots must retire.

Forced early retirement is just plain wrong and you know it.

What is NOT forced early retirement then?

I am conviced you'll be the guy who comes back after this changes and wants 66, 68, or 80. You decline to elaborate on any sort of compromise, why should anyone agree with you?

Your just plain greedy, and you know it.

Flopgut said:
Your just plain greedy, and you know it.

Greed maby, only through the eyes of the beholder.

Hopefully, Congress will soon set us all on the right track.

I am here to tell you that if S.65/H.R.65 passes, you will someday be very glad that this ugly rule was finally put down.

Last edited:
Allright, we posted simultanelousy (sp), thank you for elaborating. I want to see something good happen for you because you deserve it. I had somewhat guessed you flew in the Army; Thank you for serving Sir.

The unions are just doing what their majority want them to, that's all a union can do, nothing more noble than that. When ALPA did their most recent survey I was concerned things would not go my way, but I decided whatever the outcome I'll go with what the majority wants. So if they change, I will too. BTW, CAL ALPA does not support age 65, I called them, I think your earlier data is wrong.

So what is not early? You going to want to work past 65? (be honest) Do you have any compromise?

Of course, nothing we agree to means anything, just for good discussion.

With the continuous decline of this business, I doubt I'll make it to the point of ever being happy this rule is gone. 65 will be changed again, or foriegn control will come, or whatever. I know it doesn't matter to you long term, just as long as you get something now.

I'm not going to worry about you too much. Your probably going out with more than most airline pilots will have in the future. And your going to get Social Security. Your generation will be pulling the ladder up on that one too. Oh well, you've earned. Thanks.

Flopgut,
Any how, good discussion.:beer: Cheers!

BTW, anybody out there know of an employer who would be willing to hire a 60 year old that only knows how to fly airplanes and be a soldier? I have not found one yet.

Last edited:
Klako said:
Flopgut,
Any how, good discussion.:beer: Cheers!

BTW, anybody out there know of an employer who would be willing to hire a 60 year old that only knows how to fly airplanes and be a soldier? I have not found one yet.

Yes, good discussion. Cheers as well!

RE BTW: I think you may be surprised at the opportunities available to you. If the rule doesn't change PM me sometime, I have some friends doing some intersting and pretty lucrative flying.

Latest resources

Back