• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Experience is gained one day at a time. Experience may be gained even when you're not flying such as from reading accident reports or reports of the mistakes of others or from the mistakes of your own. It even helps to read the posts on FI.

From the LEX accident we are reminded of the mistakes of rushing to get airborne instead of slowing down to look things over, rechecking and reconfirming everything. From the Cali accident we learn, most importantly, of the need to carefully manage the FMS and question any clearance of which we are uncertain. While the failure to retract the speed brakes promptly was a factor, that was not the cause. From the A300 accident we learn to be cautious of information that sounds contrary to everything we know about structures. So called experts are not always correct in the information they put out. And from the LIT accident we learn to not accept an extension of the duty day to the point of assignments that will result in serious fatigue. If you're too tired don't fly, don’t. And finally, are you suggesting that flight managers are some of the best pilots?

Now regarding my colleagues and F/O's that I fly with. All do a great job and we always work as a team, helping each other and catching each others mistakes. I catch no more of theirs than they do of mine. In fact, I will say that they do seem to catch more of mine, and I am grateful to have their help. My point in the examples I have presented is that experience counts in a major way.

Using SFO as an example: I had an F/O flying the 28R visual and we happened to be very close to the parallel visual traffic on 28L. We were so close that he said he just couldn't see the traffic from his position and asked me to fly the rest of the way in. That was good judgment on his part. When I fly from LAX to SFO, assuming we will probably land 28L, I always try to have the F/O fly that leg so he can get a better view in order to provide the visual separation. Does this make any sense to you I must ask? Of course the decisions here are made from experience and have nothing to do with the skill level of captains or f/o’s.

Regarding the DEN arrivals, from my own mistakes, I am always prepared and ready for the confusion that exists between the East and West parallel 34/35 runways and the same is certainly true in LAX. This is called experience and it enables us to make so few mistakes that the airline safety record is incredible considering the number of departures and arrivals that occur each day.

So in the end, I am certain that if KALKO retires on his 60th birthday as a highly experienced captain, or if I retire or any other captain with all that experience gained over probably 40 years of aviation, it will not be safer, it will only be missing some of the most experienced pilots who may possibly be able to prevent their flights from falling into the many traps that can arise in day to day flying.

Now, does anyone really believe that by having our most experienced pilots retire while in what I believe to be the peak of their career, replaced by a new hire starting at the bottom of the pile, that that will make the world safer for the traveling public? I certainly think not and it is the majority of the ARC comments that agree with my view.

UF, I have always thought that you were one arrogant idiot. Now the whole group sees that I was right.

In your own words, you make mistakes and your FOs catch them. Maybe this is another mistake that you cant notice and the FAA is trying to tell you.

This system has always been about "retiring at age 60". You benifited from it, now "its not fair". And come on, 17,500 hrs in 40 years of flying? How current or competent are you? Most 40 yr old regional pilots have close to that amount of flight time. And how can you compare the female pilot that wants to provide for her family. Wasnt that your goal when you were raising young kids? I am sure that she and her husband are also planning (and preparing) on one hell of a retirement life, when they turn 60. Werent you doing that when you were 40 yrs old and raising a family?

Face it, you are an idiot.

Regardng flight time, I fly 800 hours per year airline and 100 hours GA, so I probably have much more than 17,500 hours. I just don't add it up very often.

But lets talk about experience. Experience is gained one day at a time, not one hour at a time.

Regardng flight time, I fly 800 hours per year airline and 100 hours GA, so I probably have much more than 17,500 hours. I just don't add it up very often.

But lets talk about experience. Experience is gained one day at a time, not one hour at a time.

You are in to this "experience is gained one day at a time, not one hour at a time".

Lets say that a "regional pilot" flies 6 flights a day and flies 17 days a month, for a total of 85 hrs a month.

The 59 yr old 777 captain flies 2-4 flights a week and flies 11 days a months, for a total of 65 hrs.

First off, the regional pilot is flying more days, therefore is more experienced.

Second, who is more up to speed on takeoff and landings (the most dangerous part of any flight) ?

Last, I want a pilot that is current (not the AA ORD Chief Pilot or sim instructor) and sharp (like your FOs that have to catch your mistakes).

Even if the age goes to 65, people are going to retire, and new hires are going to come on board. I don't disagree that when someone retires there is experience leaving us, what I disagree with is the slant that the pro-change crowd is throwing out there to try and sway public opinion.

For instance, a newhire is not going to replace Capt. Undaunted, but rather an experienced first officer or narrow body captain will. I could go on, but doing so here would be preaching to the quoir, we all know how the system works.

Planes are not going to fall out of the sky if age 60 does not change. I'm not really opposed to 65, I just wish the distinguished fellows facing retirement soon could argue their point without all the drama and hysteria. I would be more inclined to support change if these fellows would quit putting others down in the process.

Last edited:
It's not even the "put downs" that fire me up, it's the ridiculous notion that they're being discriminated against! Oh, the injustice!

You are in to this "experience is gained one day at a time, not one hour at a time".

Lets say that a "regional pilot" flies 6 flights a day and flies 17 days a month, for a total of 85 hrs a month.

The 59 yr old 777 captain flies 2-4 flights a week and flies 11 days a months, for a total of 65 hrs.

First off, the regional pilot is flying more days, therefore is more experienced.

Second, who is more up to speed on takeoff and landings (the most dangerous part of any flight) ?

Last, I want a pilot that is current (not the AA ORD Chief Pilot or sim instructor) and sharp (like your FOs that have to catch your mistakes).

Sorry but experience is gained one day at time yes, but that's whether you fly or not. The calendar starts on the day you take that C-172 intro flight. So unless you’re over 60, you'll never catch me. Of course, the more you fly the better you get too.

I do agree that the Regional Airlines and the LCC Captains must have some of the very best stick and rudder skills of any airline pilot.

Now Klako, then, he must be the best of the best. He has it all, LCC skills and years of experience. And yet you all treat him any any other pilot that disagrees with you with a lack of respect. All he wants to do, like me, is to continue in his profession as any person should have a right to do. And like you will all want to do too, that is if you really love this profession.

pilotyip you are to be cogratulated on your excellent physical condition. To be 63 and still be able to crack out 8 minute miles is outstanding. I'm 58 and strut around for days if I get in the 8 minute vicinity. I realize this has little to do with what's being discussed but was favorably impressed.
Back to name calling.

Latest resources

Back