• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60 informal poll

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abolish the Age 60 Rule for other that Part 91 pilots?

• Yea

Votes: 668 35.5%
  • Nay

Votes: 1,214 64.5%

• Total voters
Al,

Do you care about the guys on Furlough?

The video shows a DAL guy flying an L-1011 and talks about a pilot shortage...kind of a stretch don't you think?

Sorry pal, time to pack up the motorhome and leave the flying to us "young" guys with no experience!

WHAT A CROCK OF S$it!

UndauntedSoonToBeRetiree, did you happen to read the Nov/Dec ALPA rag when they talk about Age 60?

Here are some quotes:

"Over the years, the FAA has resisted numerous attempts to change the rule, insisting that any change to the regulation must provide for at least an equivalent level of safety."

"The FAA does grant operational specifications approval to foreign carriers to permit pilots over age 60 to fly into the United States, but the agency does not maintain any data as to the number of such foreign pilots they allow under those specifications. But according to International Federation of Air Line Pilots Associations, of those international airlines whose national regulations allow flying past age 60, fewer than 75 pilots fly into the United States under the special specifications."

"When ALPA polled its members on the issue in 2005, a majority of those participating upheld ALPA's long-standing position. In any case, the current FAA regulation will already be in compliance on November 23 because the new standard does not require contracting states to allow pilots to fly beyond age 60, it merely permits states to do so."

Here's my favorite one:

"... But other groups, including ALPA, feel that it is inappropriate for Congress to dictate unproven safety standards to the FAA, particularly by trying to legislate on an appropriations bill."

I think you'll soon be an UndauntedRetiree.

The rule is changing. There is nothing that will stop it. It may be in time for me and it may not. There may be Congressinal legislation and there may not, but that will not make a difference in the long run because it is the FAA that makes the change in either case. The FAA may issue waivers and/or regulatory changes.

USA Today's View on age 60

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/11/post_60.html

Opposing View and Letters to the Editor

http://blogs.usatoday.com/oped/2006/11/opposing_view_p.html

Enjoy....

If that picture in USA Today is you, then you really do look like you're ready to retire. ;)

All joking aside, did you notice comments how so many of those in the pro-change crowd are the "screw-the-majority" captains?

All joking aside, did you notice comments how so many of those in the pro-change crowd are the "screw-the-majority" captains?

No, I did not notice that. In fact I thought they sounded like they just wanted to earn a living at their trade so as to provide for their families. Is that something they should not be interested in doing?

Flew with a female F/O today that thought over 60 pilots should just retire. I asked her if she wasn't just working herself to provide more income for her family, since her husband was a full time NWA pilot. Surely he could provide enough and she wouldn't have to work. She could be a stay-at-home mom if she and her husband kept to a strict budget and they didn't exceed their means.

Oh no, was her answer, she needed to work so her children could have all the things she wants them to have. Plus she wants to do something meaningful with her time.

So how is that any different for the over age 60 crowd that wants to work? It isn't any different. We just want to provide for our families, as does most every other creature on this planet.

No doubt you want to work, and there's nothing wrong with you wanting to keep working for as long as you want. The issue becomes when your job is a safety-sensitive one like the one of being an airline pilot.

The following quote is from the most recent ALPA magazine:

"Over the years, the FAA has resisted numerous attempts to change the rule, insisting that any change to the regulation must provide for at least an equivalent level of safety."

Here's my question to you: how does increasing the retirement age provide "at least an equivalent level of safety" when there are thousands of experienced and qualified younger pilots readily available to replace you?

Here's my question to you: how does increasing the retirement age provide "at least an equivalent level of safety" when there are thousands of experienced and qualified younger pilots readily available to replace you?

Dr. Claus Curdt-Christiansen: http://dmses.dot.gov/docimages/pdf99/425073_web.pdf

Check the above link. It explains how experience overcomes the inexperience of the "qualified younger pilots readily available" to replace you crowd. Therefore, it is safer in total to keep the highly expereinced over age 60 pilot.

Come on Al, I expected more from you.

You are spitting in the face of every UAL captain flying smaller equipment than you, every first officer at UAL, basically everybody below you on the seniority list.

Take a look at your FO's experience level flying B777 at UAL, and compare them to some foreign ab-initio FO flying similar equipment. No contest. Unlike their ICAO counterparts, your FO's could easily SAFELY replace you.

There is no shortage of pilots in the US. Not only that, but there's no shortage of QUALIFIED pilots in the US. Can't say the same about many ICAO states... As such, there's no safety reason to change the rule in the US, only economic. Is that a good enough reason to potentially jeopardize public safety? I don't think so.

No, I did not notice that. In fact I thought they sounded like they just wanted to earn a living at their trade so as to provide for their families. Is that something they should not be interested in doing?

Flew with a female F/O today that thought over 60 pilots should just retire. I asked her if she wasn't just working herself to provide more income for her family, since her husband was a full time NWA pilot. Surely he could provide enough and she wouldn't have to work. She could be a stay-at-home mom if she and her husband kept to a strict budget and they didn't exceed their means.

Oh no, was her answer, she needed to work so her children could have all the things she wants them to have. Plus she wants to do something meaningful with her time.

So how is that any different for the over age 60 crowd that wants to work? It isn't any different. We just want to provide for our families, as does most every other creature on this planet.

How's it different from you my friend? FAL just wanted to work, they wanted a chance, they carefully minded your UAL strike and just hoped for the best...YOU toasted them! You ripped out their hearts and crapped all over them! Your bleeding heart crap is ridiculous! YOU (specifically) are one of the worst ALPA merger policy oportunist and YOU know it! Anything you get past 60 is an incredible gift that you do NOT deserve and you know it.

Happy Holidays you selfish, self absorbed piece of.......

I LOVE this sentence:
"These experts have also testified that, to the extent further testing may be desirable, cardiac stress tests, enhanced blood work-ups, and neurological screening could be added to the standard battery of Class I tests for all pilots."

Let's open up that Pandora's box.

Undaunted, I'm glad to see you continuing to push for the change in spite of the fact that any change will not effect you; you will be retired on 29 Jan 07. Maybe you can effect some change in 2025. Just wait until 2021; I'd like to retire at 60.​

FAA Federal Flight Surgeon has stated that there will be no need to increase medical standards as far as ICAO compliance. And there is no need to change standards in any case.

UndauntedFlyer, your statement is a flat out lie. The FAA Flight Surgeon has been taken out of context and is referring to current standards not needing a change with age 60 as it is today in relation to ICAO age 60 standards.

Every country that has increased its age limit also has increased its medical standards.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back