Age 60 Back Again!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
BLUE BAYOU said:
I believe you'll see that the future 60+ YO pilots will be much healthier, safer, and in the know about the newest technology out there. This combination should continue to contribute to the best safety record in the world.

I'm curious why you think older pilots in the future will be any healthier, on aggregate, than older pilots of the present? And for that matter, why do you think they will be any more up to date on the "newest" technology than current older pilots are up-to-date on today's "newest" technology?

From the technology standpoint, every pilot at every airline is held to the same standard of technological proficiency, since time immemorial. From a health standpoint, the available airport/fast food, sleep/rest opportunities, and local air pollution issues for airline pilots aren't forecast to improve in the future. that leaves the biggest variable, individual pilot attention to their own health. given that human nature has managed to outlast any technological innovation or health craze, why do you think the bell curve of health in airline pilots will skew more toward the healthy side at some future time?

General Lee said:
You need to realize that some age discrimination is GOOD for society. The people that really benefit from age discrimination lawsuits are the lawyers. Are you married to one by chance?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Wow, discrimination is good for society! The Supreme Court doesn't make decisions or decline to make decisions based on the idea that there would be a rash of lawsuits as a result!

No, silly one. I'm the lawyer. I'm married to a pilot!

HR Diva

Last edited:
furloughed dude said:
But you don't think safety is an issue? Where do you make the cut off? 60, 65, 70, 90?

I do agree, it is, especially if my family or I are riding on the plane. But I could see where safety based on age could be flawed. SWA pilot Hoot Gibson, who was a Shuttle Commander and still participates in the Reno Air Races, is scheduled to retire next year. If any one has ever met Hoot or flown with him they could discount the "unsafe at 60" theory. But like I have said, I really don't care if it stays or goes, I have never planned my life off of it anyway. It is obviously different at other airlines though with furloughs, etc.

lostplnetairman said:
Wow, discrimination is good for society! The Supreme Court doesn't make decisions or decline to make decisions based on the idea that there would be a rash of lawsuits as a result!

HR Diva

I knew it! Without stating that fact in the beginning, now negates everything you have said. If you would have started by stating "Well, I am a lawyer and I think....." we all would have skipped ahead. Just joking!

Seriously though, age limits are a must. If your life depended on it, you would agree. By not ruling on it, so did the Supreme Court.

Bye Bye--General Lee

lostplnetairman said:

HR Diva

Who said anything about discrimination? We go this entire thread without using that ugly term and, sure enough, a lawyer brings it up.

OK HR attorney, do you have a number in mind? Because whatever number we come up with will have the same problem. Furthermore, if we are endeavoring to consider how a change to this issue can be done so as to enhance safety, why are we not considering lowering the age as a possibility? Air traffic controllers retire earlier than pilots; Maybe we are going in the wrong direction?

The major difference is that ATC personnel have secure retirements and pilots do not. No, we are only considering raising the age and 90% of the reason we are doing that is financial. Those are not generally ingredients for securing a safer operation.

My thesis is this: It has to be a number and we have it--60! If we change it once we'll be asked to change it again. These greed wracked squanderers won't take care of themselves and will be right back wanting/needing more. And our legacy carriers need some renewal! We are very close to sending a generation of pilots out to pasture that need to go! Keeping them is NOT good business. For the most part, they already have more than their fair share.

Cyclone said:
be careful what you ask for...the lawmakers do cite safety as a reason to keep the rule...so if you change the rule to a different age...it stands to reason they will add safeguards to cover their bee-hinds. that could mean someone stuffing a microscope up your rear on all future physicals...just to keep flying. the consequence here could be a lot of pilots having to retire well before age 60. .

thats my biggest fear and one I think will come to pass. The price for a small number of guys to fly to 65 will be a large number of guys who fail the new physical standards and loose their job long before they even get to 60.

This is a question for the lawyer. How can the age 60 rule be discrimination when all the other age requirements aren't? 16 to drive, 18 to vote, 21 to drink, 23 ATP, 25 State Representative, 30 yrs old to be a State Senator, and the grand daddy of 35 to be President. When will you folks just let go and retire. Hell, I'm not only OK with being retired at 60 I'm excited about it. When I turn 60 I'm going quit aviation, throw a party and become a lawyer.

TinGoose1 said:
This is a question for the lawyer. How can the age 60 rule be discrimination when all the other age requirements aren't? 16 to drive, 18 to vote, 21 to drink, 23 ATP, 25 State Representative, 30 yrs old to be a State Senator, and the grand daddy of 35 to be President. When will you folks just let go and retire. Hell, I'm not only OK with being retired at 60 I'm excited about it. When I turn 60 I'm going quit aviation, throw a party and become a lawyer.

Because the ADEA protects people OVER the age of 40 from discrimination. Some states, like NJ, are more protective. The NJ Law Against Discrimination protects all workers over the age of 18. Driving would not count--it's a priviledge, not a right.

HR Diva

lostplnetairman said:
Driving would not count--it's a priviledge, not a right.

That's a DOT slogan, not a fact. Rights are freedoms. I would think that the Ninth amendment of the constitution would make it a right, not a priviledge. Anyway, tell your pilot spouse to hang up the hat and call it a career. Everyone knew the rules when we started playing. Now that your game is coming to an end, you would like to change the rules. I would tell my boys that this simply isn't how you play. Take care, and enjoy your future time together.

Latest resources

Back