• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Age 60/65 Compromise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not before we bring the thousands forced to retire back to their jobs, and providing for their families.

Really? And where is the cutoff for that? 65, 70, 75? What about the guys at CAL who were in effect forced to retire early b/c their lump sums were shrinking every six mos? Should we bring those guys back as well now that they MIGHT have another 5 yrs of flying? You might say those guys were informed and made their decision based on that knowledge. Well bud, you knew that at 60 you were going to be shown the door. Now you got yours hopes all up that you were going to get to torment your FOs for another 5 yrs. Sorry chief, time to hit the golf course. If you really want to keep flying go hit up Paul Allen, maybe he'll let you sling gear in his 75.

dk

Wow,

Making some of these guys go back to the right seat after 60. There might be some hell to pay. Especially if they are gear slinging for some of the F/Os they treated like crap in the past. Im almost ready to make up my mind about the whole thing if they have to be F/Os again. Who says there is no justice in this world?

Well bud, you knew that at 60 you were going to be shown the door. Now you got yours hopes all up that you were going to get to torment your FOs for another 5 yrs. Sorry chief, time to hit the golf course. If you really want to keep flying go hit up Paul Allen, maybe he'll let you sling gear in his 75.

dk

Torment my FOs, how could you be so crass? Perhaps that sort of stuff goes on in your company, I would hope not mine.

BTW, my up-grade to Captain was a result of company expansion and not as a result of even one pilot being forced to retire.

I chose to work at Horizon Air in 1989 over flying for a major airline for two reasons. First, is my desire to live in my hometown and not have to commute. Second, I chose my airline company because at that time, we had a very a stable Part 135 operation and I was counting on flying until retiring at age 65. Then in 1995 the FAA forced us to convert to Part 121, thus destroying my plans of flying to 65.

I have been active in trying to change the age 60 rule since I was 18 years old. In 1965, I remember helping my then next door neighbor, Jack Hilbert who was then a Western Airlines Captain and a Western ALPA EXCO member. I stuffed envelopes for a campaign to repeal the age 60 rule. I recall Jack Hilbert often saying, “ this age 60 rule will be a thing of the past long before you reach age 60”. I cannot believe that it is still here over 40 years later.

Kids in Kansas can get their drivers license at age 14 because some live in far off farms and need to drive to school. Why can't all kids get their licenses at age 14? Those kids in Kansas seem to do fine? Could it be a general safety issue? Even kids in Wichita can do it, and that isn't a small city. Someone made the rule, but it sticks everywhere else. It is all about overall safety.

Bye Bye--General Lee

General, i like reading your posts, but i'm getting tired of this one. It's gotta be like the 5th time you've posted this....oh well, even the greats have to mail it in sometimes:D

dk

Kids in Kansas can get their drivers license at age 14 because some live in far off farms and need to drive to school. Why can't all kids get their licenses at age 14? Those kids in Kansas seem to do fine? Could it be a general safety issue? Even kids in Wichita can do it, and that isn't a small city. Someone made the rule, but it sticks everywhere else. It is all about overall safety.

And, Klako knew the rules getting into this job. Time to go hit the golf course pal.

Bye Bye--General Lee
You talking to me? Because if so, this simple mind didn't smell what you're stepping in. Just so we're clear, this guy (me) is AGAINST changing the rules at this time. But the part 135 comment was a very valid point.

Torment my FOs, how could you be so crass? Perhaps that sort of stuff goes on in your company, I would hope not mine.

BTW, my up-grade to Captain was a result of company expansion and not as a result of even one pilot being forced to retire.

I chose to work at Horizon Air in 1989 over flying for a major airline for two reasons. First, is my desire to live in my hometown and not have to commute. Second, I chose my airline company because at that time, we had a very a stable Part 135 operation and I was counting on flying until retiring at age 65. Then in 1995 the FAA forced us to convert to Part 121, thus destroying my plans of flying to 65.

I have been active in trying to change the age 60 rule since I was 18 years old. In 1965, I remember helping my then next door neighbor, Jack Hilbert who was then a Western Airlines Captain and a Western ALPA EXCO member. I stuffed envelopes for a campaign to repeal the age 60 rule. I recall Jack Hilbert often saying, “ this age 60 rule will be a thing of the past long before you reach age 60”. I cannot believe that it is still here over 40 years later.

I'm crass? Go re-read your posts. I respect the fact that you've been trying to effect change. I respect anyone who is driven towards a goal. However, spouting off that those of us who don't have a desire to work past 60 should get out now, or Go to He!! for being excited about potential upgrades. C'mon, seriously. What am i supposed to do, be upset that you're being retired before you want to go? I'm sorry, I haven't yet heard an argument that convinces me that a change is needed. Like previous posters have said, the majority is against this.

As far as the tormenting FOs comment, I was being facetious.

dk

I earned my left seat and no one has the right to take that away from me. I earned my up-grade to Captain as a result of company expansion and not as a result of even one pilot being forced to retire.

I love my current job and if you really believe that I should be forced out just so some junior pilot can get promoted earlier, I will say to you, GO TO H%#& !

If you have no interest in flying past age 60, then I believe that you are in the wrong profession, get out now.

GO BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS OLD MAN. DON'T LET THE DOOR HIT YOU IN THAT SAME ASS ON THE WAY OUT, YOU ARROGANT PRICK. PS I BET YOUR FLYING IS PATHETIC AND SCARY ALREADY. ******************** OFF

Latest resources

Back