• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Affordable aerobatics?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was PM'd about offering some input about the Yak-50 and I apologize for the late response. I own a Yak-50 and could not be happier. I know a lot of guys that have flown everything from Super Cubs to Spitfires that have also flown the Yak-50 and without exception, they all absolutley love the Yak-50!

It really is a mini-fighter that is a very capable aerobatic airplane. In fact, it was built specifically for competition aerobatics and is a world champion airplane.

The basics:
Single Seat
Gear, Brakes, Engine Start is all pnuematic.
About 1900 lbs GTOW
No flaps
360 HP radial (do they make another engine?)
Cruise fuel flow..12-13..playing..23-25
Not much range..250 miles maybe
3000 ft a min climb with a standard prop and even better when you hang a three blade on it. You add some horses (up to 450) and it will climb at better that 6000 FPM.
Typical Russian, very simple and solid
Parts are pretty easy to get.
Insurance..depends on hull value (ex. 75K is about $2,000) and my insurance guy has a 50!
Prices run from 65K to 90K and they are going up as people learn about these airplanes.

Landing...cannot take much of a crosswind and floats if your not on speed (55 knots).
Takeoff in less than 400 feet and land in less that 600. Hold on!
Stressed to +9 -6

The -50 should really be considered as a awesome aerobatic airplane! It maybe a little more money but **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**,,,that radial, that WWII fighter look, that performance....you get a lot for not a whole lot.

If someone is really interested in a -50, I know most of them and can point you in the right direction and keep you from making some of the mistakes I made.

You really will not be disappointed.

Check out this links for some shots of some -50's from around the world.
http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search

psysicx said:
What about a yak-50?

The one problem for ME with the Yak-50: single seat. I want to be able to take folks up and show them how fun flying can be.
That said, the Yak-52 (while not a -50) looks pretty good. I got a flight with a friend and loved it. I even think I could afford one.
If they do a two-seat version of the -50, can someone chime in on how good it is or isn't?

HawkerCPT, you never really said what you wanted to DO with the aerobatics. If you just want a fun aerobatic machine and aren't looking to compete, then I currently own 2 aircraft that would be just fine for a decent price. First, I have a Pitts S1-C. I agree with everyone's post about the plane, plus if you do decide you'd like to compete it's a decent plane for that stuff. I've only got 135 ponies on the front and it's an adrenaline-inducing rush!

My other plane is an EAA Bipe. I think a couple other people mentioned the Acros. Basically the same plane. It's not the rush that the Pitts is, but for fun, basic aerobatics it does just fine, plus very affordable. I just had both planes annualed, and my bill was less then $1900 FOR BOTH, including some minor repairs.

The Pitts, with 135 HP and an Ellison throttle body, burns about 6GPH. The EAA Bipe with 125 HP burns 8GPH. Considering fuel costs they aren't too bad.

There sort of is a two seat version of the Yak-50. The -52 TW or TD is a tailwheel version of the -52. I personally would stay away from the TW. They are nice but they are scary expensive at over 150K. I just dont think you get much of an airplane for the money. Now, the Yak-52 is a great ride and VERY capable of some good aerobatics. It is not a Pitts or Extra, but d@mn they are fun.

I too ran into the problem of the second seat but found a way around it. I know someone who has a 52 that wanted fly my 50, so...we swap on occasion! Life is good!

Huggyu2 said:
The one problem for ME with the Yak-50: single seat. I want to be able to take folks up and show them how fun flying can be.
That said, the Yak-52 (while not a -50) looks pretty good. I got a flight with a friend and loved it. I even think I could afford one.
If they do a two-seat version of the -50, can someone chime in on how good it is or isn't?

Latest resources

Back