Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkercpt

oh crap! Now what?
RV's are great, but over the time the costs can get pretty extensive. Are there any low cost aerobatics kits out there?

Basically, you can buy a Citabria or S1 Pitts for less than you can build anything worthwhile. I've seen Pitts' advertised in the high $20s. About the price of a new O-360 and prop. Not for the timid taildragger pilot though.

Citabrias are in the $30s, but you can take your other Mistress along, and it's a bit warmer in winter.:)

Last edited:
A pitts is a bit intimidating but not as hard as people would make you think. Go to Budd Davisson for your checkout if you get a pitts (www.airbum.com). His ad says he can teach anyone to land a pitts - I have read his articles and he is very knowledgeable. Check this for info on the s-1's (http://www.airbum.com/Pitts/ThePittsSpecial.html)

Problems with a Pitts are - re-covering which should be done every 10 years, and finding an acceptable mechanic who knows what not to do - like leaving a pair of pliers in the belly! And, of course, have a very knowledgable person do the pre-buy inspection...

Affordable aerobatics though, are two words that shouldn't be used together : )

this is all IMHO, I am a pitts fanactic and am buying an S-1S within the next year. There are Pitts' and there are other aircraft and the two should not be confused. : )

Pretty much agree with what everyone posted above. You can find some S-1's for a pretty low cost, even something like a S-1C can take a skilled pilot through sportsman, possibly into intermediate.

hawkercpt said:
Thanks guys. I may have to widen my search a bit.

How do you expect to be able to land a taildragger like a Pitts when you can barely land a tricycle gear airplane? :D

Try the Steen Skybolt. It can be built faster and more agile than the Pitts S-1. N3HW is the company flagship and is rated at over 350HP. Plus, it is two place for more fun with friends.

www.steenaero.com

FracCapt said:
How do you expect to be able to land a taildragger like a Pitts when you can barely land a tricycle gear airplane? :D

doh!!

Your buying next time.

Hey guys, I've seen the lower cost Pitts', but what about those pitts that cost 200K, WHAT GIVES!?

Latest resources

Back