Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's my turn...

I guess my biggest pet peeve is when pilots don't take their responsibilities seriously. You know the type - the ones that are barely proficient, who stumble into high density areas and proceed to demonstrate their lack of proficiency to all within radio range; these are the guys who proudly announce that they had to climb to 20,000' to remain "VFR" in their Turbo 210; these are the guys who flaunt the regulations (either knowingly, or worse, unknowingly) and place themselves and their passengers in jeopardy every time they fly; these are the guys who fly non-standard patterns at uncontrolled airports and never talk to anyone on the radio; they are the ones who never read the aircraft flight manual and/or the various equipment supplements; who have no idea how some of the equipment works; who use the autopilot as a crutch, and who also refuse to use the autopilot when they have no business hand flying their turbojet aircraft; these are the guys who fly "junk" for whatever reason - I have a special disregard for those who intentionally skimp on maintenance; the guys who do things out of habit, without thinking - the guys who have given up being students of aviation.

'Sled

TIGV said:
Freight Dogs asking for ride reports

Well, sometimes it's helpful to know that if I break out my sandwich, chips and soda, they won't end up in pieces scattered all over the cockpit 20 miles down the line. :D (j/k)

What drives me batty are pilots (especially in a Cirrus), who call TCAS a "fish finder."

And pilots that are super impatient to check in with ATC, and call every 30 seconds (seems to be an airline thing).

Lead Sled said:
I guess my biggest pet peeve is when pilots don't take their responsibilities seriously. You know the type - the ones that are barely proficient, who stumble into high density areas and proceed to demonstrate their lack of proficiency to all within radio range; these are the guys who proudly announce that they had to climb to 20,000' to remain "VFR" in their Turbo 210; these are the guys who flaunt the regulations (either knowingly, or worse, unknowingly) and place themselves and their passengers in jeopardy every time they fly; these are the guys who fly non-standard patterns at uncontrolled airports and never talk to anyone on the radio; they are the ones who never read the aircraft flight manual and/or the various equipment supplements; who have no idea how some of the equipment works; who use the autopilot as a crutch, and who also refuse to use the autopilot when they have no business hand flying their turbojet aircraft; these are the guys who fly "junk" for whatever reason - I have a special disregard for those who intentionally skimp on maintenance; the guys who do things out of habit, without thinking - the guys who have given up being students of aviation.

'Sled

Well said, 'Sled
Two things I never trust, the mechanic who says, "All set", and the autopilot.
Maybe it's an old guy thing.

Oh yeah, leaving your TAXI or LANDING LIGHTS on when you are blinding the people in the aircraft directly across from you...especially at night. You can turn them off for a few seconds until you make enough of a turn that you aren't shining them directly into the cockpit of other aircraft.

Improper or unprofessional radio usage. (I.E. This afternoon on a busy CLE center freq, NWA flight trying to check on, calls twice in 20 seconds, next call is "HELLOOOOOOOOOOO?????!!!!!!" Then center responds, I was offline, I apologize, who called? Geez people, relax, you don't have to check in right away. If he doesn't respond, there is usually a good reason, give it a minute and try again or monitor patiently till you hear him on freq again.)

Unprofessionalism in and out of the cockpit.

Improper call-outs when they are clearly defined in the ops-specs...(this one drives me nuts!)

wow you boys need a hug..

PRO AV8R said:
Those who use strobe lights during the taxi
AT NIGHT

172 pilots who fly the G/S at 100 kts

Latest resources

Back