• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aeronautical Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
lots of big talk there. are you telling me that you'd punch a woman if she so much as put a single swat on the bottom of a child?

No, brightspark. You can read, but not comprehend. Whatever it takes. If talking works, fine. If not, whatever is necessary to stop abuse. There is never an excuse for hitting a child. Ever.

I have always thought of this as a respected source. It seems to have a moderate view of the topic.
http://www.emedicinehealth.com/articles/9844-3.asp

If punishment is to be used, it must be done carefully.
  • Light spanking or hand slapping with an open hand can be used to discourage dangerous behaviors such as a 1-year-old trying to play with an electric socket.
  • Other situations where light spanking can be employed are with children between the ages of 1-3 years who choose to ignore verbal direction in dangerous situations. Reserve this for very unacceptable behaviors such as leaning out windows or pulling at glasses of hot liquid, and always use it in conjunction with saying no. The goal is to reinforce responding to verbal directions and eliminating all corporal punishment as soon as possible.
  • Any physical punishment should be given with words that demonstrate love and concern for the child. Make it clear to the child that any and all punishment is done because you love the child.

GrnClvrs said:
A$$holes that fart in the cockpit and then say "Sorry, I didn't think that would stink."
I've stunk out 30-40 people in a DC 3 before, I'd never proffer such a lame appology. I might snicker while you gag though.

There is nothing wrong with spanking a child..

Now, going out side and getting a branch and beating the kid, yeh, that's a little much..

How do you teach a child who cannot speak that something is bad? You tell them "no?" Riight.. they understand "no" don't they? You put a sting into them - they don't like that, they remember that.. they stop..

I still think the squirt bottle is the method I'm going to employ.. :)

"Spare the rod, spoil the child" ya know.. :)

Tram said:
There is nothing wrong with spanking a child..

Now, going out side and getting a branch and beating the kid, yeh, that's a little much..

How do you teach a child who cannot speak that something is bad? You tell them "no?" Riight.. they understand "no" don't they? You put a sting into them - they don't like that, they remember that.. they stop..

I agree.

I laugh every time I hear "go to Timeout"...yeah...that's super.

Have you folks seen and interacted with children out there lately?

Spanking isn't all that bad at all. But you do need to stay on the discipline side of the line and not go to abuse.

-mini

minitour said:
Have you folks seen and interacted with children out there lately?

Spanking isn't all that bad at all. But you do need to stay on the discipline side of the line and not go to abuse.
-mini

I wonder what you're supposed to do with a four year old kid nowadays that spits at his parents, hits his playmates, bites his sister, and flips the finger at passing motorists from his booster seat? They're out there.

I sometimes spanked my boys untill they were about age 8. After that, they never needed a spanking to know when I was serious. The two oldest ones are adults now, and I doubt they'd ever say they didn't earn what few spankings they got. I specifically remember the very last time I spanked my oldest, because he climbed and reached over a fence to pet three dogs who I knew to be dangerous. I told him to get down twice, and he completely ignored me. I jerked him off that fence, then I paddled his butt. I didn't enjoy it, but I never ever had to tell him again more than once to stop, freeze, or drop (whatever). I grew up on a cattle ranch where one dumb move could get me killed around machinery or animals. My Dad made sure he never had to tell me more than once in that tone of voice; as did his Dad.

Folks that don't remember what it is like being a student.

A-hole assistant chief instructors that just want to run their mouths and ardently believe that ground effect has nothing to do wtih the ground and that when it comes to the production of lift that bernoulli should be thrown out.

I went to get checked out to teach in a 172 and the assistant cheif that checked me out did not listen to a word I said but rather lectured me on weight and balance, checklist usage, traffic patter procedures, how a wing works, and ground effect (the icing on the cake). It was a complete waste of time.

Vector4fun said:
I wonder what you're supposed to do with a four year old kid nowadays that spits at his parents, hits his playmates, bites his sister, and flips the finger at passing motorists from his booster seat? They're out there.

exaaaaaaaactly

Here's my question..

avbug - just curious, how would you repremand your child if he should grow to have an attitude of "Certainly. Whatever it takes. No limits. No regrets. Ever. Try me." to get what he wanted?

I'm thinking.. squirt gun.. :)

avbug said:
No, brightspark. You can read, but not comprehend. Whatever it takes. If talking works, fine. If not, whatever is necessary to stop abuse. There is never an excuse for hitting a child. Ever.

oh wonderboy, i can read and comprehend just fine. previously you never indicated you'd do any talking.. just go from spank straight to violence on the parent. now that its been pointed out that you'd be beating women, you've decided to add "talk" to your methods, which was completely absent before.

all this tough guy talk about beating people up. this is more about you than the child. i dont know what happened to put you on this path. the fact that you would go directly to violence as a solution shows that this serves only to make you feel better or you feel you need to impress someone the child warrior.

the premise that hitting someone is wrong is understandable. the fact that you violate this premise to support it just shows that its more about you than the child. beating a parent only stops it for that moment, and only serves your purpose. educating the parent that its wrong serves the childs purpose to stop it in the future.

certainly beating a child's parent in front of them isnt going to do a whole lot of good for the child either... but it'll make you feel better and thats whats important, isnt it? if the parent later beats the child because they got assaulted by you over it earlier wont matter to you...you've got your satisfaction.

Latest resources

Back