• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Accelerated Flight Crew Crash in AZ

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Back to the 172's He had told me that on a couple of flights in leu of a knob on the radio he had to use some pliers, unacceptable. I don't doubt his story I've flown in some of those P.O.S's, and I wouldn't have been surprised is the radio stack had fallen out during the flight

Why would your friend (or anyone for that matter) accept an airplane in which you would have to use pliers to turn the radio knobs? Sunbird usually had a spare 172 to use if something was wring with the one you had.

Also, I seriously doubt a radio stack would fall out during flight in any of Sunbird's airplanes, or any airplane for that matter. Nice try though.

AZaviator said:

Why would your friend (or anyone for that matter) accept an airplane in which you would have to use pliers to turn the radio knobs? Sunbird usually had a spare 172 to use if something was wring with the one you had.

Also, I seriously doubt a radio stack would fall out during flight in any of Sunbird's airplanes, or any airplane for that matter. Nice try though.

You tell me why he flew "w/ instructor" at Sunbird in a plane of that condition (Pliers for knob).

As far as your smart reply with the radio stack thing. I've flown in some of those planes where the dash is separating from the panel, and gave the appearance that the panel was in poor condition. I'm sorry you couldn't recognize slight exaggeration/sarcasm in my last post.:rolleyes:

Anywho... what happened to posts about new information with the Apache crash near OLS.

Chandler Air Service? I highly doubt it!

John Walkup (owner of Chandler Air Service and highly respected D.E.) would never run a shoddy operation like has been described here. Top notch place.

PHXAviator

I've flown several A/C out of Chandler Air Service, and have been pleased with the condition of the A/C every time. I agree Chandler Air Service runs clean and efficient business.:)

Anywho... what happened to posts about new information with the Apache crash near OLS.

I don't think anyone has any new accurate info on the Apache crash. This thread now seems to be a flame war about anything and everything other than the reason for the original post.

zzzz...zzzz....zzzz.....not interesting anymore.:eek:

This is kind of an afterthought, and maybe nobody will even read it, but I had a radio stack fall out one time. On rotation in a light twin. I pushed it back in and beat on it until it worked again, which was a good thing since I was headed into Class B, at night, almost IMC (hazy, maybe 1 mile vis under a low layer). I am probably the most anal preflighter any of you will ever meet, and I didn't try to pull out the radio stack to see if it was stuck in there good! So, my point after all that, is that a stack can fall out, and it can happen at a very bad time...

Don't flame me, and I know this doesn't have anything to do with the original post, but I wanted to share that little tidbit.

Rachel

BTW, I am deeply saddened by the crash and the deaths of three people.

Last edited:
I think it's clear that RJpilot is not going to provide us with the information that he may or may not have... I'm sure it will all be in the NTSB report.

Although I am not 100% positive I believe non of the Apaches have flown since the accident. The one Cherokee they own has been in use. So the school may not be shut down but it seems they are trying to be quiet with the Apaches for a while.

Any comments RJPilot?

-AZPilot

Latest resources

Back