• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ACA CRJ Training Redux

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ok, I'm starting next week and was told I would be in the CRJ. How would I get the call outs?? Does anybody know a website that would have this info? (I already looked and cant find one.) Any help from you CL65 pilots would be GREATLY appreciated.

I'm thinking this "know your call-outs before the first day of class" idea isn't the rule. If it was, Pilot877 wouldn't be shooting in the dark on a public message board trying to find the information for class next week.

Besides, what if you learn the procedure wrong while sitting at home before your first day? ...Law of Primacy anyone?

S.

You guys are tough!! The reason I suggested to get a head start on the info prior to class is three-fold. First, it will ease the tension associated with learning a new a/c at a new company. Second, it will show the instructors that you are HIGHLY motivated to stay employed with their organization. And third, more beer drinkin time!!!!

Seriously, if everyone says the training is so hard, why not get a head start? I agree with Trainerjet that it should not be necessary, but why not ease the stress in a training environment that has a reputation for being difficult, i.e. ACA?

I have some old study notes from Midway's CL 65 program if anyone is interested. Send me a PM and I will be glad to shoot some stuff in the mail for you. The callouts would not be applicable for ACA, but the limitations are the same!

Cheers,
gump

trainerjet said:

Is this for real?? In twenty years of airline flying, I have NEVER been expected to know limitations, profiles and callouts cold BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS. Where are these hew hires supposed to get this information BEFORE THE FIRST DAY OF CLASS?

Whoever stated that anyone needs to know the calls and limitations before class is incorrect. Besides...how could you? There is only one question that needs to be answered...is the "Training Stats" memo accurate? As most of you may know, pilots can be pretty gullible with anything appearing legit. I will contact the training manager for the fine people participating in this thread and attempt to clarify its validity.

ACA did have trouble until about a year ago when an overhaul was initiated. Right now only two of the original cadre are present. The others are elsewhere (flying the line or gone). The memory items have been reduced to about seven, the QRH is new. Even the flows and checklists have been re-written for how the line pilots fly. All weight and balance including performance will be done via ACARS this year. That's the good news.

The hard part is that you still have to study! Consider this, in my class there were 8 CA's and 12 FO's. Myself and two other CA's studied through ground school together and offered to help any of the new-hires with any problems at any time. We even asked them to sit in after class for a few hours to go over profiles, flows and other general stuff. Guess how many stayed after class? Not one! The usual response was "I don't need to study, they'll give me everything!" Of those about 3 washed out and two more suffered initial failures on the ride (or oral). All of us that studied had no trouble whatsoever. In fact, it was the best check I've ever had.

As far as that memo is concerned I'll let you all know within 24 hrs what I find out.

Fly Safe.

Gump,

I agree with everything you are saying. I quoted "zkmayo", who apparantly works there since he admitted going through 328 jet training recently, as saying you should have all that stuff "down cold" before the first day of class. I just think that's unrealistic. Like I said before. Where is a new hire going to get that information? Accurate, company information? Before the first day of class? I'm hoping he meant before the first day of sim training. That makes more sense. And I would agree 100% with that. You MUST know the profiles, callouts and limitations before showing up for sim.

You are right trainerjet!

Unless they know someone at the company, that stuff is hard to get ahead of time. But, you guys need to know it prior to SIM!!!!

gump

I had a limitations test that i was required to take the first day of class as a new hire at my airline. It wasnt pass or bye-bye, more like "did you go over the material that was sent before class?"

ACA will not give you any material prior to the first day of class. You do not need to know anything but what your experience shows prior to the first day of class. You SHOULD know flows, limitations, SOP, memory items etc prior to the first day of CPT class (which is after two weeks of indoc and two weeks of systems and you WILL have the materials). Hope this helps...

Actually, I would like to thank all of you guys for putting in your $.02 worth. Sure is good to hear the opinions of those who have burned some kerosene before. I appreciate the help!

trainerjet said:
Of course it was ALPA. I mean, isn't ALPA to blame for everything that is wrong at the regionals?

It COULDN'T have been the company, could it??? NAH! HAD to be ALPA.

All right dude, calm down. Maybe I should have said that the names of the pilots should not have been posted regardless of who actually posted them. Is that politically correct enough for you?

Latest resources

Back