• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX to compete with DHL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The biggest difference here is at least the Teamsters didn't work to get rid of the UPS pilots jobs. Unfortunately ALPA can't say the same where Emery is concerned.

I think you're misinformed here. I'm no huge fan of ALPA, but they didn't "get rid" of Emery jobs. The Emery pilots started a "call the FAA" program because of their maintenance being so shoddy. The Feds started digging, and Emery turned in their operating certificate. (That's the basics, as I remember.) ALPA can't protect jobs at a company that "turns in it's wings". Now the AA/TWA thing was a whole different deal. The MEC listened to National and gave up their Scope rights, as they were about to go bankrupt. As in cease operations bankrupt. They took the chance of receiving mercy from AA in the purchase deal. AA took them to the cleaners in the integration. Bad advice? Maybe. I don't know. Are there any ex-TWA guys following this thread that would care to rehash what happened? Or correct any statements I've made here that might be wrong?

Last edited:
I am an Astar guy. I would suggest to all on both sides of the fence to keep an open mind when selecting Union representation. All Unions have their pros and cons. To simpley align your self with your current representation ,"JUST BECAUSE" is not smart. Both groups should listen to each Union's sales pitch and then select the best that will represent the intrests of us all. One group or the other will not get an egde up on a merger of seniority lists just because their Union will be the final representation. Unions by law can get involved which is why each group must flip the bill for themselves. KEEP AN OPEN MIND!!!

Both unions have positives and negatives, and both will have good stories and horror stories. To me, the deciding factor is that if it came to a strike, with ALPA, we would have no support in way of others honoring the lines; with Teamsters, we support and have the support of thousands of other DHL employees. That in itself is a HUGE deal and the company(ies) are well aware of that.

You have to admit that's purtty attractive. Can you say for sure that the Teamsters would not honor other unions lines? What does that do for the GCPA? Would the Teamsters cross the lines of other unions around the world for the benefit of themselves? If that's the case it doesn't say much for the leadership, honor or belief in organized labor if one union is willing to stab another in the back. If I am to become a Teamster I want to know that they will back any union, regardless of affiliation, to stand up for the rights of all workers.

Did anyone from 1224 come to any of the public activities Astar held in ILN or Miami????? Other Airlines showed up to give support.

Last edited:
Astar has made the offer to buy out ABX, including everything down to the pencils on the desk. (the offer was for ALL of the ABX stock)

Astar has and still flies charters. Astar has operated the Pacific Rim, North, Central and South America, Europe and the Middle East. The ANA contract is with ABX appears to be a lucritive venture, and I would bet DHL would be interested in getting involved with it also.

Time will tell.

I guess you can say the money is in the Rim jobs.

I am an Astar guy. I would suggest to all on both sides of the fence to keep an open mind when selecting Union representation. All Unions have their pros and cons. To simpley align your self with your current representation ,"JUST BECAUSE" is not smart. Both groups should listen to each Union's sales pitch and then select the best that will represent the intrests of us all. One group or the other will not get an egde up on a merger of seniority lists just because their Union will be the final representation. Unions by law can get involved which is why each group must flip the bill for themselves. KEEP AN OPEN MIND!!!

I have to agree with you on this, and I hope that people on this thread aren't promoting one union over the other in hopes of hosing the other side on the merged seniority list.

Did anyone from 1224 come to any of the public activities Astar held in ILN or Miami????? Other Airlines showed up to give support.

Let me see, you expected the union members who would lose their jobs, if ALPA was successful in their law suit, to support your labor rallies. That makes a heck of a lot of sense?

I understand if this merger/buyout goes through we will be on the same team and have to let bygones be bygones, but don't insult 1224 by asking why we didn't support the same labor group who was trying to get our jobs.

I don't want to hijack this thread with old news, but I couldn't let this insult go by without responding.

Last edited:
You have to admit that's purtty attractive. Can you say for sure that the Teamsters would not honor other unions lines? What does that do for the GCPA? Would the Teamsters cross the lines of other unions around the world for the benefit of themselves? If that's the case it doesn't say much for the leadership, honor or belief in organized labor if one union is willing to stab another in the back. If I am to become a Teamster I want to know that they will back any union, regardless of affiliation, to stand up for the rights of all workers.

You mean supporting other unions like the way ALPA did when the NWA mechanics went on strike?

Latest resources

Back