• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX to compete with DHL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ABX Air announced today the creation of the position of Chief Operating Officer. It has hired John Graber, an industry veteran, to fill the post. The new position is designed to best position ABX Air to move forward strategically.

"During 2007 ABX Air will lose three key executives through retirements and John will provide the added expertise to ensure our continued success both short and long term," said Joe Hete, President and CEO. In his new role John will report to the CEO and have direct responsibility for Flight Operations, Maintenance and Engineering and Ground Services.

Graber, an industry veteran with over two decades of civil and military operational experience comes to ABX Air from AAR Corporation, where he was the President and General Manager of Aircraft Services Indianapolis - one of the largest MROs (Maintenance Repair Organization) in the nation. Prior to that, Graber was the Senior Vice President of Operations and General Manager of the Military and Charter businesses at ATA Airlines. His experience includes over 10,000 hours of flight time as a pilot. He has flown as a check airman, served as a chief pilot, and is a decorated combat veteran of Desert Storm. He holds an MBA from the University of Notre Dame.

"John Graber brings a strong record of international operational excellence to us.” Hete said. "He led one of the largest international charter airlines at ATA. He was the senior operational leader on the team that successfully guided ATA through some difficult times. We’re looking forward to having his business skills, experience and energy working for ABX Air.”

The Cleansing has begun........

Looks like DHL backed the wrong horse in the 49% interest.[/quote]

Why control only 25%, when you can control 100% through the DHL hand puppet, The Daz. If they're bent on purchasing ABX I'm sure it will happen.

Last edited:
Why control only 25%, when you can control 100% through the DHL hand puppet, The Daz. If they're bent on purchasing ABX I'm sure it will happen.

short of letting the DOT, UPS and FedEx know, of course.:rolleyes:

ABX can take a plunge really quick if DHL wants them too, Dont think ABX is invincible, no acmi carrier is

oh yes, I agree. At the same time, however, where will DHL get a fleet of 90 overnight? I think DHL will hurt more. Or hands for the sort, for that matter. I don't put it past Joe to hold one over their head for the other.

Last edited:
Okay, here’s what has been tickling my brain and I appreciate all responses……..

I do not belong to "that other forum" site. I usually only lurk and tried to sign up but shooter was already taken so I said to heck with it to respond and ask some questions. Below is the whole thing as it was posted yesterday.

Ultra... "If" this deal actually happens and its not just a shell game, you wont end up on the bottom of the list... that just wont happen. Like someone mentioned earlier anything said at the moment is pure speculation. I do know the ALPA guys requested a copy of the ABX seniority list about 6 weeks ago and the request has gone unanswered, I think the request was made again recently and no answer the second time either.

Is it normal for other airlines to request seniority lists of other independent carriers? If not, why was ALPA requesting the list from ABX almost 2 months before any intent for merger was announced? Did ALPA already know and did not let their possibly future co-workers know? This whole thing is starting to stink to high heaven if that is the case. Someone please help me understand just what the heck ASTAR is trying to do here and why ABX is being left out in the dark.

Okay, here’s what has been tickling my brain and I appreciate all responses……..

Is it normal for other airlines to request seniority lists of other independent carriers? If not, why was ALPA requesting the list from ABX almost 2 months before any intent for merger was announced? Did ALPA already know and did not let their possibly future co-workers know? This whole thing is starting to stink to high heaven if that is the case. Someone please help me understand just what the heck ASTAR is trying to do here and why ABX is being left out in the dark.

Shooter,

There's no grassy knoll shooter. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) We learned about Dasburg's offer at the same time you guys did through the press release. We've offered to trade seniority lists off and on with the 1224 leadership since the buyout/spinoff of both our companies. We felt that it would be a good idea to have both sides merger committees as far downrange as possible since merger rumors have always been rampant since 2003. As far as I know, the 1224 has never taken us up on the offer to this day. Our list is updated and ready for trading. Is yours? (No digs intended.)

exchange of list

Shooter,

There's no grassy knoll shooter. Sorry, I couldn't resist. ;) We learned about Dasburg's offer at the same time you guys did through the press release. We've offered to trade seniority lists off and on with the 1224 leadership since the buyout/spinoff of both our companies. We felt that it would be a good idea to have both sides merger committees as far downrange as possible since merger rumors have always been rampant since 2003. As far as I know, the 1224 has never taken us up on the offer to this day. Our list is updated and ready for trading. Is yours? (No digs intended.)

Dear Heavy,

Although I do not speak for our E-Board, I am sure that they will take every opportunity to meet the Astar Pilot Union Reps in the middle. Perhaps the previous requests for seniority lists came at a busy time with our contract negotiations and all. I know that you guys have changed Union Reps in the recent past so perhaps it might take some time to reestablish the working relationship we had with your previous representatives. I have heard that you guys have retained your attorney for the potential list merger and we have as well. Both are excellent attorneys who should be able to work toward a mutual agreement long before we all retire. IMHO these seniority lists could be one of the least painful mergers to have ever take place in the history of airline buyouts. Especially if we ever see any growth in the near future. However, that remains to be seen.

Just an observer in all this, but wouldn't 1224 be losing more than it's shirt if a merger took place? Which Union would be the winner in all this? I'd bet 1224 is wishing we had gone with them in 2000 instead of with 747. Either way, a well handled merger (ie NOT TWA/AA), if it were to happen, is always great for some, miserable for others, and hopefully "ok" for most. Good luck!

Latest resources

Back