• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Recalling

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Your sources are wrong. We've been operating CATII for months now. What's left, that is. We're running a clearance sale on some really sweet B727's that are CATII capable in Kingman.

Astar is only operating DC-8s now, right? Wasn't aware that any "conversion" was required for Cat II in them. A bunch of ours have Cat II placards on the instrument panel, we just don't operate to that level - we're neither certified nor trained for it. All it would take is a change to the Ops Specs and a training program.

PS L8fr8 - after having a few last night, I get your point re: TOL barely staying Cat I. :laugh:

Astar is only operating DC-8s now, right? Wasn't aware that any "conversion" was required for Cat II in them. A bunch of ours have Cat II placards on the instrument panel, we just don't operate to that level - we're neither certified nor trained for it. All it would take is a change to the Ops Specs and a training program.

PS L8fr8 - after having a few last night, I get your point re: TOL barely staying Cat I. :laugh:

The conversion statement was made by nite. Not me.

I know, but I figured you'd be better qualified to answer an Astar DC-8 question!;)

No prob 707. All of Astar's fleet types are CATII. There is no "conversion" to go to CATII. Most of the requirements are related to avionics, no surprise there. ;)

No room in TOL for DHL, its smaller then CVG. On the other hand there would be room for DHL AND BAX in ILN....

I haven't counted tails, but the ramp at CVG does not appear to have any extra space. A quick look at a parking diagram shows space for 34 - 36 large aircraft. That would seem to preclude a move to TOL. There would be enough space at ILN for both DHL and BAX right now.

If in fact the CVG sort is to small a move back to ILN would, on the face of it, seem logical. I note that despite all the words exchanged on the subject DHL has never committed to actually giving the airport to the city, county, state, or whomever. They merely said they would consider it. They might do it, move back, and remain a tenant if a way could be found to:
1) forgive the bonds used to build the $350 million F sort;
2) provide tax abatements;
3) provide funding to DHL for "training" the "new" employees.

Or not, they might do it anyway if they felt they needed to. If DHL were to return to ILN they could cut some costs by operating the way ABX did for years. No tower, one runway for IMC ops, cancel with DAY approach when the runway was in sight or after landing. I think this would allow at least CAT II ops and reduce the cost of operating two all weather CAT III runways.

I rather suspect there isn't enough freight to justify using more than the new F sort, so they wouldn't have to staff the other labor intensive sorts. They could hire from the local work force at new hire pay rates (say 1/2 what they were paying prior to the shutdown) and little or no health care or other benefits at company expense. These things might not be big ticket items in terms of the cost of the overall operation, but if CVG is already to small and ILN could be operated at or near the cost of CVG and the return and startup costs offset...

The local community might not welcome them back with open arms, but the unemployment rate is in or near double digits in Clinton county so I don't think they would be turned away.

All of this depends on how big a player DHL wants or plans to be in the US and whether or not they have learned anything at all from their mistakes of the last 5-6 years.

Last edited:
Good point, unemployment sounds alot better than 14K a month plus benefits. Maybe this thought process is why you failed.

No, my thought process is to never do any work for DHL again. I'll live longer and be happier. I got that T-shirt over 20 yrs. ago.

You go right ahead and follow Mucklehead into the DHL quagmire.

No, my thought process is to never do any work for DHL again. I'll live longer and be happier. I got that T-shirt over 20 yrs. ago.

You go right ahead and follow Mucklehead into the DHL quagmire.

Ok! Again DHL is one part of the puzzle for ABX. I enjoy the TNT quagmire and let the CVG crews fight with DHL. The realty is I like the paycheck having a job is nice. I do not get all worked up over the details, I find I sleep a lot better at night.

Good point, unemployment sounds alot better than 14K a month plus benefits. Maybe this thought process is why you failed.

Well good luck with that nite. If you think DHL's done with having a SIGNIFICANT role in cutting your pay when this contracts done.....let's see where things are ina couple of years for ya. Best of luck. Yall are gonna need it. AND FYI, WE didn't fail. We signed a contract the 2nd of which DHL's ethics gutted. Guess failure and success is in the eye of the beholder. Its OK though after the bunker in ILN came down, we new that wouldn't be the last thing 1224 decided to drop in order to garner favor with DHL.

Latest resources

Back