• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX, DHL and Astar family tree

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
yes they were hiring; for our ever expanding Asia operations. We were told there would be 10 to 20 planes flying in Asia, just like the line of crap I was fed when flying the DC8 in MIA. That base was supposed to grow into 10 airplanes. Never got to be more than 2. As I posted earlier ABX is not into the charter business, they have about as much clue on this type of business as DHL had in express freight.....

yes they were hiring; for our ever expanding Asia operations. We were told there would be 10 to 20 planes flying in Asia, just like the line of crap I was fed when flying the DC8 in MIA. That base was supposed to grow into 10 airplanes. Never got to be more than 2. As I posted earlier ABX is not into the charter business, they have about as much clue on this type of business as DHL had in express freight.....

We have 6 aircraft in MIA right now.

I keep saying ABX isnt able to compete in the charter market with the 767s and the wages, especially in mia.

Even if we can run cheaper by the hour than Cappy or Ati? 60 to 80 bucks an hour is nothing compared to the gas and maintenance costs of 3and 4 engine and 3 man crew aircraft. You say we can't compete prove it. Our union can, we have done all the cost numbers it is what our whole new contract is about.

I never heard more than 5, maybe 6 and that was contingent on ANA opening up Naha, which hasn't happened yet. I never heard anything to suggest the 747 was more than a pipe dream, didn't even qualify as a rumor...:laugh:

My bet is that after AJV is finished hiring, ABX and any other contracters will be finished there anyway. Thats the reason they have been hiring and saying that they wanted to double the size of the pilot group.

You guys missed the point of my post. The point was and still is that ABX is not serious about charter ops. They dabble in it. Kind of like me playing Texas hold-em on the internet, I might be ok against the 12 year old but no way I could win in a tournament in Vegas. ABX cannot win in Vegas either because they are not serious. As for the 6 planes in MIA now my post was referring to the DC8 we had down there. How many crews are in MIA. With 6 planes you should need a minimum of 20 crews, (reality should be 42 crews but lets not get crazy). The bid pack has 15 crews. That is less staffing than the ILN standard 2.5. (there is 1 or 2 guys on LOA).

Point being they are not and will not be serious about charter ops, I do hope they get serious soon so as to avoid my upcoming unpaid vacation.

Last edited:
Even if we can run cheaper by the hour than Cappy or Ati? 60 to 80 bucks an hour is nothing compared to the gas and maintenance costs of 3and 4 engine and 3 man crew aircraft. You say we can't compete prove it. Our union can, we have done all the cost numbers it is what our whole new contract is about.

thats why all you see doing charter in miami are 3 and 4 engine aircraft, with 3 man cockpits. According to another post you have 6 airplanes with barely enough crews to operate them.

Latest resources

Back