• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
>> damn you're fast! ;) couldn't delete it quick enough. <<

Why did you delete it?

umm, b/c i don't care to argue this.

In the end- neither of you are going to let the other crash no matter what the book says... but you should know the book and follow it so there's no confusion in the gray area situations.

I think in general, whoever has the abort call authority, has his/hers/its hand on the thrust levers.

At Alaska, the FO can say something along the lines of, "By Jove! I say, Captain, the N2 of the Number 2 engine seems to be somewhat not quite in the shape of the N2 on the Number 1 engine and . . ."

CAM 1: Sounds of impact.

Transcript ends.

Here at DAL is is the CA and only the CA. We can call out a problem but it is the CA's ultimate decision.

yeah-true- captain only is very arrogant-especially at the majors where the experience level is so high. an abort is not the time to be proving your case. It's the time to act.
There is the argument that you don't want a less experienced pilot aborting at 130kts for a door.

FOM, do what it says- are you going to let a FO crash?

How about a briefing by the capt (first flight with FO or of pairing) over what will and will not be aborted for, delegation of duties...etc? If the FO has issues with it he/she can speak then and discuss. That way there is no question, no matter what the FOM says.

The FOM sets company policy but without a clear briefing there is room for misunderstanding.

How about a briefing by the capt (first flight with FO or of pairing) over what will and will not be aborted for

Damn, that would be on long brief! Bottom line is we don't know what the hell could happen. So I don't think you can brief for every situation.

I think you need to remember however that once V1 has been called you pretty much have already had the decission made.

I watched a Luftansa Video and I like how they call V1.

Instead of Calling "v1" the pm in a strong voice says "Go" which I think really lets everyone in the cockpit know that they are now committed to the takeoff.

Good video of why you don't abort after v1.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTJMxOe-yM

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back